Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber loves to roll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bomber loves to roll

So, I'm loving my new bomber, but I seem to have issues staying rubber side up. If I look at it crossways, it flops. So...besides adjusting my driving style, what are my options?
Is there any way to widen the track width? Offset wheels? Different hexes? Wider axles?

I haven't really started mods yet, but knowing me, I'll probably go way overboard. So far I've only added strc links. I have steering rods and knuckles ready to install.

I'm sure I'll do wheels, tires, shocks, eventually axles. Not sure about brushless, that's all still foriegn to me. Although I'm headed for back surgery in a few weeks ( hence the switch from 1:1 and dirtbikes to r/c) so I'm sure I'll have time to research, and a pile of parts waiting.

My gf wants an ascender k5, so if I went brushless, could I use the stock axial electronics in that rig?

My last rc was a first gen t-maxx, and it had every aluminum part available. I just love the look and feel of alum over plastic.
ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bomber loves to roll

I'm going with these hex's:
Team KNK (2) 12mm x 8mm Brass Wheel Hexes
just to clear the upgraded steering I just ordered. I have the vanquish C's, which raise steering linkage mouths (good thing) so when I go to the upgraded steering, the drag link will hit the inside of my tire.

I'm only going 8mm, which is 3mm wider than stock, because that's all the width i need to clear the drag link, and i'm not going to run them in the rear. I'm also getting brass to add weight to the front, and the slightly wider width will help a slight bit to the rolling.

Maybe someone can chime in, but in 1:1, a wider offset means a worse turning radius, hence me going with 8mm, instead of 10mm offset. Does that hold true in RC?

All in all, a sway bar will help the most.
xmikedentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Mine still rolls over on moderate turns with the Yeti rear sway bar installed. On the good side it usually lands on it's wheels after the roll. It could be my driving at fault, I am new back into RC in the past month. I do feel like I am oversteering, and there is no exponential option on the stock RTR radio. I need more packs driven to sort it out.

I am debating on widening out the track width front and rear due to the rear tires rubbing on the cage when articulated before I installed the sway bar. I tried the stock setup from my Yeti on the rear, with the short front hubs the rear tires still rub the cage when articulated but it clears with the longer rear hubs. If I do widen it I will run the Yeti beadlocks with the longer hubs on all 4 corners, which will increase the track width by about an inch. I need to buy new wheels and tires for the Yeti before I can consider making that change.

Last edited by BroncoAZ; 01-20-2016 at 11:43 PM.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The Bomber likes to roll almost as much as the Wraith. Getting that center of gravity down will help the most. Add knuckle weights and/or beef tubes to increase axle weight down low and improve crawling ability. Heavier wheels or wheel weights also help but add rotating mass, so use those sparingly. Adjust the shocks or use softer springs to lower the overall ride height, but this will decrease ground clearance. Heavier shock oil and a sway bar will reduce body roll. You'll need to pick and choose what adjustments to make based on how you want to drive it.

From my experience in reducing rollovers in my Wraith I found widening the track width helped but it sacrificed turn radius and the ability to squeeze through obstacles more than I cared for. It also increases the strain on the servo. CI foams helped quite a bit but it seems to me the stock Bomber tires are less prone to buckling than the Wraith tires. And as was mentioned, learning the limits of the rig and adjusting your driving habit is effective and by far the cheapest way forward.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #5

I did a few things that significantly helped...

- shorter shocks lowered the ride height a little.
- VP method wheels with wide SLW hubs increased axle width
- Sway bar in rear
- Steering expo on radio

Still fairly easy to roll at speed, but all of what I mentioned above significantly helped.
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:53 AM   #6

I got a yeti now I can corner fast and when I want to crawl around I ask my kid if I can drive his bomber ;)

I was going to ad sway bars but they seem to limit the articulation some ? so would rather have the crawl ability and understand it does not fly around corners but where we take ours it does very well in really rough rocky ground going kinda quick over it etc..

love the thing having both the bomber and yeti which are really more my kids than mine I would say I would get a bomber for our 3rd
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You can install the Axial AR60 full width kit in rear. Also add brass beef tubes in front and rear for more weight down low. Another thing that helped my Yeti is move shocks closer to axle on the rear trailing arms.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

A good tire / foam combo will do you wonders. Widen a little bit, CI 6 bolts use the SLW hub. Much cheaper than VP methods and a great looking wheel. Ride height , you don't have to drop to much to notice a difference. Practice, that seems to help the most.
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber loves to roll - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jesus loves me... braceysdad Chit Chat 22 05-12-2014 08:19 PM
Everyone Loves Carnage BARK General Crawlers 5 11-08-2005 11:04 AM
Project: NO ROLL... (shafty without torque roll!) Update 1/20. JakeDaSnake General Crawlers 28 01-30-2005 12:55 PM