Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: How well does the bomber crawl?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How well does the bomber crawl?

I am looking at getting back in to the sport does the bomber crawl well? Is there lots of torque twist, cog? I appreciate any info you all are willing to share.
4ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How well does the bomber crawl?

I think the Bomber crawls well, but I am just back into the hobby as well. I haven't owned a Wraith or any other crawlers since the old AX-10 my buddy loaned me in 2010. The AX-10 was a more purpose built crawler with sensored brushless power, a 4:1 reduction box, and 4 wheel steering. That rig crawled everything, but was so slow it was boring after a short time. My Bomber is far more fun all around while still seeming competent as a crawler. It does roll off the rocks once in a while (usually sideways) but if you are pushing it's limits that will happen with any rig. Others may disagree, but I get plenty of fun out of it.

Mine is modified with a Traxxas 21T brushed motor, 2 speed gearbox, 43/13 gearing, beef tubes, good steering servo, titanium links, UCFAB yeti length trailing arms. My issues crawling are the stock tires/foams are too soft and it does drag the belly once in a while. I have new tires/wheels/foams on order, and was reading the thread about shortening the wheelbase to keep the belly from dragging. I really do enjoy bashing it and still being able to hit the low gear to do technical crawls (it does crawl fine in high gear with the current setup).
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks that info helps a lot. It will be different going from a Moa which I was big into back when berg and xr10 scene was big. seems that the sport has changed a lot.
4ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

There is gobs of torque twist but it is manageable with a sway bar but other than that it's decent at it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
ruinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I experimented with Yeti brushless power in my Bomber and yes the torque twist was very problematic. Going to UD gears helped significantly. I ordered the Axial sway bar kit to tame it more, but it is really too stiff and prevents the rear from flexing enough. The solution was going back to brushed power, that 3150kv Yeti motor with a 12t pinion was just too much speed for this rig. With the speed it barrel rolled on hard corners unless you could drift the rear end. With the Traxxas Titan 21T motor, UD gearing, and the sway bar removed it does great. Occasionally the front tire does come up on a climb, but it crawls slow enough with the 2 speed that I can tap reverse and put it back down to try a different line. I may try thinning the Axial sway bar to soften it, but at this point I am happy without it.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I found the stock rig to be a very competent crawler.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Is like to ask what everyone's thoughts are on the bomber vs wraith? Have the ability to buy either one for a rock racer that can have some fun crawling as well... Am I wrong to assume goin with the bomber would be a better choice based on technology alone? Seems like a beefed up wraith... Thanks
rockpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wraith should be a better crawler due to the shorter rear trailing arms, allowing it to drag the belly less on the rocks than the longer wheelbase Bomber. Others seem to speak highly of the Wraith transmission due to it being lighter weight and lower center of gravity, but I have never used one and like the 2 speed Yeti trans in my Bomber. Some are doing the Wraith length trailing arms and even the Wraith trans on the Bomber. I may experiment with the shorter trailing arms at some point, but I am pleased with Bomber performance on my current setup.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

Good to know.. I'm curious what the deal with the two speed trans is?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The 2 speed gearbox uses a servo and the third channel on your radio to shift gears to a standard high gear and a 2:1 reduction low gear for crawling. If you want to crawl and go fast with the same rig it is helpful. I purchased the Axial, but the SSD is $30 cheaper.

SSD 2 Speed Transmission Conversion Kit for Yeti
Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #11

Alright cool I'll check it out. Thanks man
Old 04-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Long wheelbase gives it some problems, the belly tends to hang up. Other than that it will crawl just as the Wraith. On very steep inclines the long wheelbase is a advantage. Can't tell any major differences between these two.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Long wheelbase gives it some problems, the belly tends to hang up. Other than that it will crawl just as the Wraith. On very steep inclines the long wheelbase is a advantage. Can't tell any major differences between these two.
I went with the twin hammers length rear trailing arms, and its made it a much better crawler. It still wants to twist some, but way better then it was stock.
haligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

With the Twin Hammers trailing arms, what other modifications did you have to make? Different upper links in the back as well? What about the drive line?
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #15

Looking into this IFS setup people are talking about on here. Looks awesome, seems to work ok from the videos I've watched but it's more stuff to break and/or go wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
With the Twin Hammers trailing arms, what other modifications did you have to make? Different upper links in the back as well? What about the drive line?

I used wraith length uppers and then switched out to the short tubes and spline for the driveshaft from the extra parts tree. Rather easy actually. I bought the cheap plastic lower arms to made sure I liked them, and will probably order better ones now.
haligen is offline   Reply With Quote

How well does the bomber crawl? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tryina find people to crawl with and or places to crawl wraithscailer General Crawlers 3 12-02-2012 10:27 PM