Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Mopar2Ya's Bombs Away

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mopar2Ya's Bombs Away

I got an Ascender a few months ago, & got the crawler bug. The Ascender was for a young one to have something slow, so now I'm working on a Bomber. I thought about buying a roller/chop shop parts, but decided on the RTR, after looking it over, I think I should have built it from parts. I did need the motor for my Ascender. Oh well I'll have kool paper weights now.
Parts list:
RR10 Bomber RTR
HH Trailmaster BLE Pro wp
HH Crawlmaster Pro 16T
HH Trailmaster HV500
CC BEC
R4EH-G (gyro disabled)
DMG axle skids
Vanquish sway, servo mount & clamps
Axial motor mount & slipper plate
Freqskinz
RC4WD Raceline 2.2 wrapped in RC4WD Mudbasher 2.2
Still waiting for:
BlueMonkey complete link kit
Pro-Line Pro-Spec shocks

I've been looking at metal axle housings, but am unsure if I want them w/the reviews I've read that they get hung up much easier than plastic. Thoughts?

Last edited by Mopar2Ya; 05-21-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Mopar2Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mopar2Ya's Bombs Away

Nice looking build. I have 2 rigs with aluminum axles and 4 running plastic with some sort of beef tube. I honestly can't tell a difference in crawling performance between the two. All my trucks perform well.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Nice looking build. I have 2 rigs with aluminum axles and 4 running plastic with some sort of beef tube. I honestly can't tell a difference in crawling performance between the two. All my trucks perform well.
TY. I want to get the SSD housing, w/the centered rear. Does anyone make a pumkin skid for the SSD's ( like the DMG's for the stock housings)?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

SSD does in fact. It's a real nice delrin slider. I ran one of them in another build and they're great. SSD makes a really nice axle. Here's a link for the skid.

http://www.ssd-rc.com/skid-for-diamond-axle.html

Also be aware, with a centered rear there may or may not be clearance issues with the rear driveshaft hitting the transmission. The stock driveshaft will most definitely make contact. There are things you can do to help but it's not ideal to move the rear driveshaft over so far. Just wanted you to have an idea of what's involved. I'll say this, SSD decided to make a new truss just so their front axle could be ran in the rear as an offset pumpkin. They wouldn't have done this for no good reason. Some have even switched to centered rears then switched back when they got tired of dealing with the clearance issues.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 05-21-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
SSD does in fact. It's a real nice delrin slider. I ran one of them in another build and they're great. SSD makes a really nice axle. Here's a link for the skid.

Skid for Diamond Axle

Also be aware, with a centered rear there may or may not be clearance issues with the rear driveshaft hitting the transmission. The stock driveshaft will most definitely make contact. There are things you can do to help but it's not ideal to move the rear driveshaft over so far. Just wanted you to have an idea of what's involved. I'll say this, SSD decided to make a new truss just so their front axle could be ran in the rear as an offset pumpkin. They wouldn't have done this for no good reason. Some have even switched to centered rears then switched back when they got tired of dealing with the clearance issues.
I had seen that skid, I was hoping for more coverage under the pumpkin. TY for the heads up on the centered axle, I had not found that in my searches. Does the SSD driveshaft help?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Here's the best pic I can find to explain the issue. This is an SSD driveshaft and an offset rear axle. This is from the back of the trucks underside looking up and forward. With the suspension uncompressed you can see how close the the driveshaft already is to the trans. If you then move the differential to the right, the driveshaft also angles to the right and that's were you start to have problems. Some of the "fixes" I've seen used are running a horrible pinion angle by rotating the axle forward to move the driveshaft down and try to gain clearance, running a MIP driveshaft because they are super thin and have more clearance, and removing material from the trans cover itself or a combination of these three.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
I had seen that skid, I was hoping for more coverage under the pumpkin. TY for the heads up on the centered axle, I had not found that in my searches. Does the SSD driveshaft help?
I haven't seen anything that covers the complete underside of the SSD like the DMG skid. They claim it's a ground clearance issue and honestly, the axle is stout and would have a long service life still. I'm with you though and prefer better protection. That's why I run plastic axles with DMG skids or my Curries with titanium skids.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I haven't seen anything that covers the complete underside of the SSD like the DMG skid. They claim it's a ground clearance issue and honestly, the axle is stout and would have a long service life still. I'm with you though and prefer better protection. That's why I run plastic axles with DMG skids or my Curries with titanium skids.
I don't see any axles or rear lock outs for the SSD off set axle on their site. Does any stock parts fit? What's your opinion of SSD vs Vanquish Currie F9?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
I don't see any axles or rear lock outs for the SSD off set axle on their site. Does any stock parts fit? What's your opinion of SSD vs Vanquish Currie F9?
Stock axle shafts fit perfect and I'd suggest VP clamping lockouts.

The problem I, and others, see with the F9 is that there is no skid option to smooth out the transition from the pinion to the bottom of the diff. This would get hung up a lot more than the Currie Rock Jock or SSD with its delrin skid. Other than that, the F9 is another VP home run. I'd even say it'd be fine for a front axle since your not really too worried about hindering your rearward progress as much as driving forward.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I got my first run, & had no breakage. I did have to shave the webbing on the front of the cage as it hit my servo. The steering isn't good yet, I still have the plastic links on, until the BM links get here soon. How much will my steering angle improve if I upgrade to CDV or uni's up front? I may tweak w/my shocks more eventually, up front I'm running dark blue springs w/32.5wt oil, in the back I have yellow springs & 20wt oil. I'd like a little more flex.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Universals are a huge gain in steering angle and strength. Those should most definitely be your next mod. Here's stock next to unis.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 05-25-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

screamer I think you may yet persuade me to FINALLY upgrade my bomber. I have to admit going back and forth to make a turn on obstacles is more than little annoying so I'll definitely be purchasing some universals. I just need some suggestions on servos and steering links.
Treyk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Your flex is going to be limited with the vp sway bar.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Universals are a huge gain in steering angle and strength. Those should most definitely be your next mod. Here's stock next to unis.
TY, that pic is exactly what I was hoping for. OK, are Axial uni's the best choice or one of the other HD CVD's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyk47 View Post
screamer I think you may yet persuade me to FINALLY upgrade my bomber. I have to admit going back and forth to make a turn on obstacles is more than little annoying so I'll definitely be purchasing some universals. I just need some suggestions on servos and steering links.
I did a lot of back & forth lol. Those plastic links are bad, they should call them servo saver links. I trashed the stock servo arm on a second run(it did come loose, my fault).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Your flex is going to be limited with the vp sway bar.
Yeah, I figured the sway was some of the issue. I may grind it a bit.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

DLux's new universals are the strongest choice IMHO. If you can't spend that much, regular Axial unis are an excellent choice. VP VVDs are also a great choice but limit steering to 48 degrees which is still much more than the stock dog bones. SSD makes HD CVDs now too, that's one I haven't tried but SSD is a solid company. Those are the ones I would feel confident suggesting. Stay away from cheap, you'll just have to replace them and spend more.

Dlux Fab

Wraith VVD V1-HD - Vanquish Products

HD CVD Axles for Wraith / RR10

Last edited by SCREAMER; 05-25-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #16

Yeah I'm not cheeping out on this piece. I'm not as hardcore as some of you guys but I'm definitely not trying to buy the same part over and over, not to mention i still have to look like i know what I'm doing. I may grab the ones from SSD, as I have been thinking about switching too their axles too.
Treyk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I got the BM links installed, a metal servo arm, & silver wheel nuts.

Last edited by Mopar2Ya; 05-28-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #18

I love the mud basher xls favorite tire so far
scott037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Your truck looks fun! Love the combo of the paint and tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
Your truck looks fun! Love the combo of the paint and tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TY, the paint is a Freqskinz wrap.

Mopar2Ya's Bombs Away - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mopar2Ya's Ascender Mopar2Ya Vaterra Ascender 8 06-23-2016 05:17 PM
crawling on volcano's bombs Cirederf Videos! 0 09-24-2011 11:29 AM
Augusta scaler + fire video (NWS..couple f-bombs) Scattman Videos! 4 04-22-2008 10:58 AM
Twin 500 lbs bombs RodyRazorBackc5 Chit Chat 4 06-15-2006 07:11 AM