Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: The F100 Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The F100 Bomber

Sup Fellas,

I did 3 build threads on this forum already and unfortunately photobucket decided to charge some money to link to them so those build threads are now useless without the pics.

So I'm taking this opportunity to test out this site, imgur.com, since it was recommended by some here.

So with 3 different Bombers in the house, I wanted to try different bodies to differentiate them a bit. Already did the Pro-Line Jeep Body for the B1B, which did not require much modification and turned out great.

We searched around for some more ideas and saw a member named "hemistorm" use a Pro-Line 66' F100 for his Bomber and it looked badass! So naturally, this is what we chose.

This is my sons solid axle Bomber which is heavily modified. It does a decent job of keeping up with the B1B and B2B on high speed chase, and this rig crawls very nicely and is very durable.

So, I thought we give it a shot and here is how it turned out. Let me know what yall think

My paint skills do not compare to hemistorms, but all in all, very pleased with the look.

Currently running with TwinHammers length TAs, and I'm thinking it would look better with Wraith length TAs. I really like the current wheelbase at 14", so if we switch, we would have to shorten the front links to keep the WB.

This logo was actually a bitch to do, but happy with the results

Yall remember those truck visors that were popular in the 90s? Here's an attempt to recreate...actually, I had to do this b/c the front roof line was much higher than the top of the cage, so something to this effect is necessary to hide the gap.

Using 12 total "rare earth magnets" glued on to hold the body in place. Feels real sturdy - No body clips necessary. We'll see after some good wheelin'

Countersunk magnets and sheet metal strategically placed for the body magnets to cling on to.

Last edited by *Old*; 07-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #2

Default Re: The F100 Bomber

That's awesome. I like the magnet idea.

If you own a smartphone, you can use the Tapatalk app to post pictures to the forum. It's the easiest way I've found.

What rear upper links are needed to run twin hammers trailing arms? I might go that route myself.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default The F100 Bomber

Sweet build! Awesome job with the logo!

x2 for using the Tapatalk app to post pictures to RCC. It can also re-size the files for you. Much easier than photobucket -- which was a pain in comparison. Plus the forum is probably more invested in keeping your thread pictures available!

Hemistorm also has a YouTube channel if you're interested: https://m.youtube.com/user/hemistormrc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Thloftus; 07-05-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Very nice! I've seen people using magnets for the body before, although not on a Bomber...which undeniably gets used in much rougher terrain than many other vehicles. Let us know how it holds up.
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

That's different. It looks cool!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
That's awesome. I like the magnet idea.

If you own a smartphone, you can use the Tapatalk app to post pictures to the forum. It's the easiest way I've found.

What rear upper links are needed to run twin hammers trailing arms? I might go that route myself.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Thanks Dok,

To make the TwinHammers length TAs work, use the Wraith length links for the rear uppers. I got them from VP, 3/16" titanium. Kinda pricey, but no issues so far. VP Wraith upper rear links
There are other lower costing options though.

And thanks for the heads up on the Tapatalk. My Iphone is old school with 16 gigs of memory and it's pretty maxed out, so I can't really download new apps on there. Maybe one day when I upgrade.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Sweet build! Awesome job with the logo!

x2 for using the Tapatalk app to post pictures to RCC. It can also re-size the files for you. Much easier than photobucket -- which was a pain in comparison. Plus the forum is probably more invested in keeping your thread pictures available!

Hemistorm also has a YouTube channel if you're interested: https://m.youtube.com/user/hemistormrc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks man! Yeah, photobucket was a pain. Been using them since early 2000, so was stuck with that mentality.
But anyway, that's a great video. His finishing skills is another level .
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoovey2004 View Post
Very nice! I've seen people using magnets for the body before, although not on a Bomber...which undeniably gets used in much rougher terrain than many other vehicles. Let us know how it holds up.
Thanks Stooves. I used 8 rare earth magnets on the Jeep body for the B1B it seems to hold up fine after some wild trail rides. However I did have two clips up by the hood, but I feel like I can get a way without the clips.
But I will report back after the first run with this new body.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Current Parts List:

Electronics:

Motor - Holmes Hobbies BL540 3500KV Sensored Brushless WP
ESC – Castle Mamba Monster X
Servo – Savox 2290SG with Axial Alum 25T horn
Batteries - Various 5000mah 3S lipos

Tranny:

Pieced together SuperShafty Bombproof Wraith with DMG Adaptor
Robinson Racing X Hard 5mm 12T Pinion with reducer sleeve

Axles:

Rear – SSD Yeti Wide Diamond with Skid and HD axles
Axial 43/13 UD Gears
LockedUp RC FI Spool
VP 225 SLW Hubs

Front – VP AR60 V.2
VP Scale Chubs and Knuckles
VP ¼” SS Tie Rod and Drag link
Stock Axial Unis
Dlux Truss with Servo mount
Axial 38/13 Std Gears
LockedUp RC FI Spool
VP 600 SLW Hubs
HR 12mm Hex Clamping Hubs
DMG Axle Skid

Drive Shafts:

Front – Axial WB8 HD
Rear – Traxxas T-Maxx Shafts

Shocks/Suspension Links:

Front Shocks– Gmade Piggyback XD 93mm with Pro-Line Powerstrock Slash Front dual springs
Rear Shocks– Traxxas GTRs XX Long with Assoc Factory Team 13mm springs

Front Links – VP Stainless Steel upper and lower links
Rear Links – VP Titanium upper Wraith Length
JEC Trailing Arms Twin Hammer Length
VP Currie Anti-Rock SwayBar V.2

Wheels/Tire:

Pro-Line Faultline Beadlocks 2.2
Pro-Line TSL XLs 2.2

Misc:

JEC Rear shock mount/gas tank relocator
DMG Spare Tire Carrier
Pro-Line 66’ Ford F100 Lexan Body
Team KNK SS Screws
Fast Eddy Bearings
Old 07-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Regarding the magnets -

Happy to report, the magnets held the body on like a champ. Did some high speed racing around loose dirt at this new development area near my home.
Must've rolled this rig multiple times and high jumps, and the magnet held solid . So I approve of this method.

Unfortunately, the Pro-Line Faultline beadlocks on my B1B Bomber gave way and ended the fun Easy fix, but I may have to look into better beadlock wheel options in the future

Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Great photos! The blown tire looks kinda real. Did you have the tires filled with green slime? Your body suddenly changed colors!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great photos! The blown tire looks kinda real. Did you have the tires filled with green slime? Your body suddenly changed colors!
hahaha - I had 3 rigs out with my boys and we were competing/racing. The B1B kicking ass until it blew a bead and ended the day.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Can you snap a photo of your rig without the body on so I can see what the TSL XL look like on a stock body bomber? I'm trying to decide if I want that size or the standard 2.2 TSL

On another note, this thread was one of the threads that bumped me into buying a bomber over a wraith, kick ass truck.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Can you snap a photo of your rig without the body on so I can see what the TSL XL look like on a stock body bomber? I'm trying to decide if I want that size or the standard 2.2 TSL

On another note, this thread was one of the threads that bumped me into buying a bomber over a wraith, kick ass truck.
Thanks Man!

Here you go!

Naked Bomber:

Although I agree the Bomber is probably a better overall rig than the Wraith, and the Kit version comes with a lot more with Bomber. But don't sleep on the Wraith, it has some slight advantages over the Bomber, especially in the crawl dept with it's higher belly, shorter WB, and standard 4 link suspension. But the Wraith doesn't handle high speeds as well as the Bomber, even with similar specs. Good luck!

Naked Wraith:

Fully Clothes Wraith:
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Thanks Man!

Here you go!

Naked Bomber:

Although I agree the Bomber is probably a better overall rig than the Wraith, and the Kit version comes with a lot more with Bomber. But don't sleep on the Wraith, it has some slight advantages over the Bomber, especially in the crawl dept with it's higher belly, shorter WB, and standard 4 link suspension. But the Wraith doesn't handle high speeds as well as the Bomber, even with similar specs. Good luck!

Naked Wraith:

Fully Clothes Wraith:

thank you, looks kick ass. I'm gonna tinker with the bomber. At the very least it looks like I'll be shortening the wheelbase with TH length trailing arms, that should help the crawlability some. I also have a wraith skid laying around, I may try it and some wraith links and see how the bomber does with true triangulated 4 link. Thanks again for the pictures.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote

The F100 Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM