Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Help with rear articulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Help with rear articulation

I was out today and noticed that my rear articulation leaves much to be desired. My current set up entails F9/ Pro Spec/ Vanquish Anti Rock. The VQ bar limits side to side travel and the over all travel when compressed at center is horrible. I have included some pics to see if I could get some set up/ position help. I also have a set of BMR and JEC Wraith rear arms if you think it would help. This is a pure Crawler. TY in advanced!
Attached Images

Last edited by udlose; 11-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
udlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Help with rear articulation

Ditch the sway bar if you want flex
hiluxxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you want to keep your sway bar you need to shorten the length of the lower sway bar links (the vertical links), the anti rock sway bar is designed for the yeti, the bomber needs shorter links.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
If you want to keep your sway bar you need to shorten the length of the lower sway bar links (the vertical links), the anti rock sway bar is designed for the yeti, the bomber needs shorter links.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
This
3 Racing (I think it's the name) makes a nice pair of Titanium links that are about perfect for the bomber with the antirock bar.

It's in my build thread on this forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

What's actually wrong though?
Too little articulation?
If it's hindering performance then perhaps it's the shocks rather than the bar which is there to remove torque twist. Shouldn't impact articulation..
If it's looks you're after then ignore me!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

I feel like my Bomber crawls better with a rear sway bar. Torque twist prevented me from climbing, and too much rear articulation made the body tumble when off camber. With the rear swaybar, the body motion is much more predictable, and the front axle still articulates enough to keep tires on the terrain.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I feel like my Bomber crawls better with a rear sway bar. Torque twist prevented me from climbing, and too much rear articulation made the body tumble when off camber. With the rear swaybar, the body motion is much more predictable, and the front axle still articulates enough to keep tires on the terrain.
this. and the shorter links for the sway bar help clearances (I am running some 32mm traxxas links)
broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The end links on my bomber are two revo rod ends directly tied together with a long M4 set screw.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

TY for the responses. Have some short turnbuckles on the way
udlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
What's actually wrong though?
Too little articulation?
If it's hindering performance then perhaps it's the shocks rather than the bar which is there to remove torque twist. Shouldn't impact articulation..
If it's looks you're after then ignore me!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with Crawler Cads...From the pics, I think it’s the shock set up that is to blame...those Pro Specs are awesome, but their not very long..even a little shorter than their PowerStoke brethren. They are limiting the droop so much that it’s reducing the the ability to articulate...Especially when set to the center trailing arm hole as shown in the picture.

I recommend picking up the Pro-Line PowerStroke scaler shock rebuild kit #6060-01 ($9), and using the extra long rod ends from it. It adds extra length to the shock, improving travel (* does not increase actual travel, but increases shock length), helping to better fit the ProSpecs to the Bomber, when mounted to either the forward or center trailing arm mounting holes. Of course you would need to move the limiting straps forward as well, to see the improvement.

Should help quite a bit with droop, which will free up your articulation.

Davis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Davey; 11-27-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I recommend picking up the Pro-Line PowerStroke scaler shock rebuild kit #6060-01 ($9), and using the extra long rod ends from it. It adds extra length to the shock, improving travel, and helps the shock to fit the Bomber well, when mounted to either the forward or center trailing arm mounting holes.

Adding a longer end on the shock changes it's over all length (both extended & compressed) & increases the ride height

does not add travel,

does not increase droop
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:22 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Adding a longer end on the shock changes it's over all length (both extended & compressed) & increases the ride height

does not add travel,

does not increase droop

Thanks for the clarification. Correct, a longer rod end won’t add travel to a shock, but in this case, it should improve the travel situation / help the shock better fit and work with the OP’s Bomber. In the second and third pics, when the rear suspension is fully compressed, they seem to show an amount of unused travel in the shock. Maybe about a quarter to a third of the shock shaft is still visible? From the pics, it looks like the upper rear axle components are contacting the rear bumper portion of the roll cage, before the shock has a chance to fully compress.

By adding length to the shock, the trailing arms are able to “droop” lower, since they are not as “limited” by the shorter rod ends. Although the travel of the shock shaft is not increased, the shock now has the ability to use more or all of its up travel before the rear axle tops out into the roll cage/rear bumper.

This then frees up the rear axle and suspension to compress and articulate more fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Davey; 11-27-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with rear articulation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Articulation? o-o Redcat Crawlers 10 04-13-2014 09:20 AM
Sanity check: SCX10 Honcho rear articulation? Cr00zah Axial SCX-10 11 03-11-2014 02:22 PM
Uneven rear articulation stumping me. Opinions welcome. Vertigo Axial XR10 14 02-06-2012 02:54 PM
I've got more articulation than you... Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 17 11-21-2009 02:33 PM