Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Toyota Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Toyota Bomber

I don't know if anyone has done this, but I personally couldn't resist. First build thread for me ever, even though the truck is built.

First, ever since I've seen the Hemistorm (seen here in post #RR-10 Bomber replacement body

and I've been wanting to put a hardbody on a bomber cage, I really like the internal cage/truggy look.

After breaking the chassis on my Wrexo in a hard jump, I decided I would pick up a bomber chassis. Was sort of a impulse buy, I could have fixed the Wrexo, prob still will and sell the chassis. I grabbed a bomber chassis from RCRecycler on ebay, but I had no plans on using the stock style panels. I couldn't have "just another bomber".....so I searched and searched on bodies people have placed on the bomber cage, I only found a few, the proline Yeti Raptor body, the proline bug, the F100 Hemistorm used. And I asked myself, why I needed someone to do it first. So i grabbed the SR5 body I had on the shelf and measured it up, placed it next to the cage. The A pillar looked pretty good, if placed properly the rear lines up quite well, and the drivers looked like they would be ok. So i cut it up.

On the SR5 body I had to remove the entire back of the cab. I could have left some of the back on like Hemistorm, but I had plans for a flip up body in mind...more on that later. I also had to cut two crescents in the body where the upper chassis mounts to the front bumper. They were necessary because of the flip up cab method I had in mind

I stole most of the running gear off the Wrexo, here is the parts list from the old truck

Vanquish Ti Link set (wraith)
SSD diamond axles, front and centered rear
SSD Ti steering linkage
SSD D-60 style wraith knuckles
STRC C-hubs
Axial Universals
MIP drive shafts (AX-10)
HiTec 7950 servo
Axial HD servo arm
HR Transcase w/ 32p gears 56/14 (needs adjustment)
Proline Powerstroke Slash rears (front)
Proline Powerstroke XT (rear)
Axial stock kit shocks plastic, no springs (rear)
Wertymade flat top stinger (wraith)
Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3300kv Stubby

New parts for build

SSD 2.2 D-hole wheels (black)
Axial 2.2 Trepador tires
Freqiskinz Primer series SR5 wrap (black)
Wertymade Yeti rear Trailing arms
Jato Rod ends
Vanquish RR-10 shock mounts
RR-10 Interior
MIP Yeti length rear shaft

I think thats everything. I really think the SSD Dhole wheels look awesome! I am so happy with them. I even went out of my way to find what seems like the last set of SSD 10 hole wheels. Waited forever for them.....and what happens, ssd blowes em out of the water with these wheels. So out came the 10 holes and in go the D-holes. I also used the Wertymade trailing arms so I could adjust the length as I please. They come stock with Jato rod ends for one end and Revo for the other. I just used Revo ends on both sides to shorten it up, its right about wraith length. I also really like all the mounting options in the arm instead of just a few. The Jato rod ends went on the upper Ti links to extend them to the correct length. Only necessary on the axle side, Revo on the trans side. The wrap was a lot of work, next one I'm sure I'll do better, kind of a 25/25 job in the 1:1 world, looks good a 25 mph or 25 feet away. I'm sure I'll change a few things as I use it. I'll keep updating.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Toyota Bomber

Old 02-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks like a Yotoa you would see on the 1/1 trails.
notajerryskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I like it. Looks tough.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Wow...that looks fantastic. Now you have me thinking!!!!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post

Same here. I've got a hacked up Trail Stomper I'm gonna see if it lines up.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I also saw this one on Instagram.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I really like how they did the windows on that one, and the black upper part of the windshield. The cage kinda shows at that spot, maybe top cm of the windshield. Thats why you see the Vanquish stickers there on mine. I however don't like the cut out section where the grill goes, I think it looks wierd, i guess you put one of those SSD/RC4WD winches in there, the tall ones, OX winch maybe, i don't remember. I struggled with the grill section, pondered it for hours. I cut it all off because of the flip up body i wanted. When flipping up, the channels i had to cut in the body would go right through the head lights. And with out headlights screw a front end, so off it went. Just my take on it, I'm interested to see what others do.

I wanted to elaborate on the flip up body. The body does not flip up perpendicular to the chassis. I didn't want the channels to be too large. Just flip up the battery holder and it keeps the body up. I mounted the body to the stock hood mount, that little rotating clamp thing. Just two screws. I cut a few extra holes, two on the roof and two on the sides in case i want other mount points. I then cut the channels, I used my leather punch for my tires, worked awesome. For the channels I just set it to the largest setting and chopped out multiple chunks till i was happy. Test fit, punch out more, test and so on. I have hated cutting round thing in lexan. Always looks awful. I have the curved scissors, but still looks terrible. This worked awesome, I even cut all the screw holes with it, super easy. Just sand afterwards with dremel on slow, and presto!

Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
BTW, I'm pretty stoked you think my stuff looks good, all your rigs are pristine. Now I just need to live up to your maintenance practices

BrakeWeight: I did line up my Tamiya Hilux body, It wasn't the right fit, too short I think was my experience, it stayed on the Wraith

Thanks for the props everyone

Last edited by Thechewmaster; 02-13-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Anyone know if the cab dimensions are the same for the Proline 3466-00 cab+bed and the 3466-01 cab only?
I'm guessing they are, but want to confirm.
Fj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yes, I ordered the whole package, body and bed. I just used the body
Old 02-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Have any rear shots with the body not rotated up?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looks badd ass,now I want to throw my body in the trash,lol
....a 1.9 bomber with the Toyota body would be epic as well.Great job Bro
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ask and you shall receive

Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That looks great man, real sharp. I'm loving all these post apocalyptic, mad max style, body wraps I'm seeing. I need to do one of those soon.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Fantastic! The bomber really looks way better than I would have thought with that body on there
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Very nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Guess its time for an update.

Took the truck out to Shell Ridge for a little fun, beautiful area right now. Rig did fine, needs a few adjustments.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

So I got a few changes in the works. First I got a Dlux truss for the diamond housing. I've always liked his stuff, and have a few parts including the brass knuckles on my wraith. The main reason for the truss is form and function, I wanted to run the bomber Ls1 engine by fellow member Johnnyh66.

LS1 for the Bomber
https://www.shapeways.com/product/H8...r10-bomber-ls1

So I've got it mocked up and will paint it after a quick trip to Yosemite with the family. Gonna be cold and beautiful. Not sure if I'm going to bring RC cars, if I do I'll be with my brother, and will get some pics.

I also ordered the SSD pro knuckles, in hopes of fixing a steering/tie rod issue I had. Put in a 9 tooth pinion instead of the 11. Had some horrible binding because I used the wrong screw on on the front truss. NBD solving problems is what we do!

Here is how she sits now.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I also took a short hike to this spot on the American River in Folsom CA. Actually that fence thing you see on the hill in the back ground in Folsom Prison.

However I forgot my transmitter at home.

Toyota Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM