Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Will putting a higher turn motor with the same gearing still smoke it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Cool Will putting a higher turn motor with the same gearing still smoke it?

Still kind of new to the hobby, bought a 12t motor and a 21t pinion to put in my bomber because I was testing to see iust how fast I could make it, smoked the motor immediately. I was wondering if I put the stock 35t motor or even a 21t motor in it if it would smoke that motor too or will the extra torque help it overcome the gearing?
Quantumblue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Will putting a higher turn motor with the same gearing still smoke it?

If you are staying brushed, I would recommend the Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 can in the 21t variant, stock gearing.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Will putting a higher turn motor with the same gearing still smoke it?

I got a Wraith years back when I didnt know better at the time, smoked a few motors trying to go faster (well it was a 2 speed actually). I eventually came to a solution that wasn't cheap, going brushless. Mamba X and a Holmes Hobbies puller, this setup is still running to this day and its still too fast in 2nd
That said proper gearing is still a must, you can still ruin a brushless motor. Keep in mind brushless motors have a bit of a larger RPM range so you may not need the large pinion you currently have.

I can tell you want to continue to push the limits and I would suggest getting a temp gun so you can check motor and ESC temps. You can also use the old finger trick, you should be able to hold your finger on a motor/esc for a few seconds without getting burned/pulling away.

I think 180 degrees is the danger zone ideally you should keep it under 160, get it too hot (brushless) and the magnets start to de-magnitize or (brushed) the armature gets burnt up.

Whatever you do make sure the motor is 550 sized.

EDIT
the Manual has a gearing chart that ranges from 11T-17T pinions so you are a bit off the charts so to speak
Page 49
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct..._4WD_-_Kit.pdf

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-16-2020 at 07:48 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

I'm running the 8t crawlmaster 550 8n mine. Have stock gearing. It's a lot of fun. I'll go brushless when I need to go faster.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That's crazy high, biggest I ever ran was 17 and it overheated. Traxxas 12t with an ae-5 esc, 2S

What voltage are you running?
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The bomber is geared about right out of the box for all around entertainment on 3s lipo. If you want it to crawl, pickup a 9 or 10 tooth pinion. If you want it to go faster you can make small improvements going to a Holmes 21 550 can, or the Traxxas 21 titan, both with stock gearing. If you dont crawl at all you could get away with one tooth larger on the pinion. To go much faster your talking brushless, and talking a bunch more money. I have a holmes puller pro 3500kv with a mamba x esc and can highly recommend this combo. You get your crawling ability, and more power than you know what to do with, and it just never overheats.

I dont know of any brushed motor that would be happy pulling a 21 pinion in a bomber. Largest I've heard of anyone running successfully is a 14.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I have a holmes puller pro 3500kv with a mamba x esc and can highly recommend this combo. You get your crawling ability, and more power than you know what to do with, and it just never overheats.
Im fairly new as well and been playing with a stock bomber. If i go with this combo, is there anything else I need to change out?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
daveylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I mean you can just physically install the Mamba X and Puller Pro and go play. Your going to have a more enjoyable time time using a Castlelink to setup the Mamb x beforehand so it performs ideally in a crawlerish application.

Then you'll start finding weak links in the drivetrain from all the extra torque, and the weak links in the suspension from all the extra speed. Setting the punch control on the Mamba X to 100% will help reduce drivetrain shock loading and make it easier to control.

If you dont have a 2 speed I reccomend picking up a 10 tooth pinion as well.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burnt motor, gearing, motor change, new guy

Will putting a higher turn motor with the same gearing still smoke it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Turn Motor & Long Gearing vs Low Turn Motor & Short Gearing. Hardcoretam Electronics 11 03-15-2017 11:23 PM
Higher Turn Motor Vs Lower Turn Motor ? ReignMan Newbie General 10 11-15-2009 10:40 PM
higher turn motor or lower turn motor......... bob1961 Newbie General 6 03-18-2008 09:16 PM