Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Something Different?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Something Different?

As I look at my Bombers that haven’t been driven for over a year, I wonder to myself, a third Bomber would look nice sitting on my shear, adding to the orphan rc rigs collection sitting there now. So here is my quandary: Build another using Ryft axles, or build it 2wd to go fast. Obviously easier to go 2wd, and cheaper, but the width of the Ryft axles on there draws my attention. What do I need to know about Ryft axles, and what transmission education do I need to go that route? 2wd is a no brainer. Which way do I go?

Input appreciated.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2023, 05:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Something Different?

From a few YT vids, it appears the Ryft axles have the ring gear on the opposite side of the pinion so you may have to run a reverse rotation motor if I'm thinking correctly. ExocagedRC has a Bomber vs Ryft video showing that and how they torque twist in opposite directions to each other.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the ryft axles are huge compaired to the ar60s alot heavyer and beefyer
there also wider
i mounted a set of ryft axles under my wraith and was like no flipping way they looked vary out of place in my opinion
other than that they have a 6mm input shaft compaired to the 5mm shafts on the ar60s
the extra width and extra metal hanging down would cause the axle to drag more unless you use even bigger tires in my opinion ryft axles are a bad choice for a bomber build they fit perfict on my 1/6 nylint jeep though
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

While the ryft axles are a bit wider (~3/4"), I only ended up about 3/8" wider overall using the ssd wheel adapters needed to get the wheel nuts fully engaged.

Here's a look at how mine stack up. Both rigs have the same knockoff method 105s. The top has a common 8mm slw adapter. If I swapped the wheels, the bomber would be much wider, but the thread on the ryft axles isn't long enough to work with the thicker hub face. You also have to turn the od off the flange nut down a bit to fit inside the slw adapters.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I would like to be a bit wider than stock, but leaning towards a go fast 2wd after pricing a Ryft assisted build which is what I really want. Shooting for the same width as the Indy rig, so Slash front bulkhead, Jato arms, may even do A-arms out back instead of trailing arms as to not have to re-invent the wheel again.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I’m still kicking this around, and have just about sold myself on a Ryft conversion. Question is do I run a stock skid and build links to work or is there a skid that already remedies the width issue? I’m thinking an OEM Bomber trans so u joint angles won’t be an issue. V1 rtr KR 3s/ Walker Evans plastic wheels. As light as possible but with the needed width. Am I missing something thus far? This would be my first solid axle build, so forgive my ignorance in advance.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I designed my own skid to better align the links to the wider mounting of the ryft axles. Using bomber links and trailing arms. The ryft pivot balls are larger and wider as well. I used spacers on the lowers at the axle to fill the space. I used ryft rod ends and pivot balls on the upper links at the axle.

The only thing I don't like about the ryft axles is the lack of caster. Otherwise it's been good

Here's my skid
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5541178

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Great post! I'm in the same boat, I want to put ryft axles on my bomber. I was just curious what size the pinion shaft is on the axle of the ryft? I don't know if they're bigger than the bomber or not.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Great post! I'm in the same boat, I want to put ryft axles on my bomber. I was just curious what size the pinion shaft is on the axle of the ryft? I don't know if they're bigger than the bomber or not.
Ferp answered that above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
snip
they have a 6mm input shaft compaired to the 5mm shafts on the ar60s
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Ferp answered that above