Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Trail racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Default Trail racer

has anyone made this truck more of a trail-racer? im going to...ive been wanting a scale truck 4 long a time...but i race 1/8 nitro and well its hard to start a scale project durring the race season...but now im deployed in iraq and its perfect timing 4 me to start this build so if u got some advise that would help feel free ......ive been racing nitro for over ten years but i dont know much about rock crawling thanks 4 reading

PS this is a well put together RC forum
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

first off i love nitro an you can do a scale nitro i have build 4 so far irst off get a tmaxx 1..5or2.5 used dont buy new please you will only need on part off this truck an this the chassis every bit of suspension is garbage .....then go get your self a ax10 and a xtrail frame rail kit convert your ax10 to a scale 2.2 or 1.9 then setyour tmaxx chassis on top of the ax10 xtrail base make your own mounting setup an you have your self one hell of a nitro trail truck if you have a email adress i can send you pictures of mine i have 4 1 is amudd truck another is a crawler the other 1 is a rock racer in witch breaks a bunch an my last is my show peice that doesnt get muddy an its forsale also u need to comeup with a drive shaft setup i cant give all of my secrets so0o have fun i will help in anyways i can but my drive shafts are custum an if i sell you a truck i can not send you my shafts

ALSO IM MEDICALY DISCHARGED FROM THE US ARMY 63W TANK MECHANIC
nitroscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

O and the ax10 is a wonderful truck just dont like escs an eletric junk
nitroscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Have you seen this? Updates on my SCX10......... Looks like a racer to me.
MiddleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have a Novak Havoc 8.5T in mine and I love it. Awesome torque and wheelspeed. Mine is more of a Rally/Dakar truck, but while it gets painted I have crawled it.

Last edited by AeroSynch; 02-11-2009 at 01:52 PM.
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

There is no need to go nitro. Its not worth the initial price and surely not the continual price. Brushless is cheaper, more efficient, lower maintinance, and did I mention it is cheaper? No mods are really needed either, unless it is to strengthen parts that would suffer a more stress and such.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSynch View Post
I have a Novak Havoc 8.5T in mine and I love it. Awesome torque and wheelspeed. Mine is more of a Rally/Dakar truck, but while it gets painted I have crawled it.

I like. Are you going to change the suspension in any way? It seems to me that crawling shocks are quite horrid when you are going fast. Are you going to switch out for shocks with slightly softer springs and a lot thinner oil? When you see a really nice rally/baja vehicle, the suspension is actually drooped a little bit, due to a really soft setup and also because partial compression soaks up a lot more bumps. Then you could do a sway bar setup that can flex under crawling torsion. Thats just my idea.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

Mine will be more of a trail racer when it's done. MM 5700, titan body. plus other goodies in time... initial testing on a track seems promising.

Last edited by Pea-Ta; 02-11-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Pea-Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhess View Post
has anyone made this truck more of a trail-racer? im going to...ive been wanting a scale truck 4 long a time...but i race 1/8 nitro and well its hard to start a scale project durring the race season...but now im deployed in iraq and its perfect timing 4 me to start this build so if u got some advise that would help feel free ......ive been racing nitro for over ten years but i dont know much about rock crawling thanks 4 reading

PS this is a well put together RC forum

I don't have anything to add to your question, I just wanted to thank you for your service
Keep your ass safe and Semper Fi from an old Devil Dog
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
I like. Are you going to change the suspension in any way? It seems to me that crawling shocks are quite horrid when you are going fast. Are you going to switch out for shocks with slightly softer springs and a lot thinner oil? When you see a really nice rally/baja vehicle, the suspension is actually drooped a little bit, due to a really soft setup and also because partial compression soaks up a lot more bumps. Then you could do a sway bar setup that can flex under crawling torsion. Thats just my idea.
Thank you. The truck is very tippy and bouncy the way it it. When I turn, the body roll is crazy. Maybe harder springs are needed?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i drew great inspiration from benders diablo build. i have a mamba max and 4600kv brushless in mine and it absolutely rocks. i just welded up the front tube bumper today, paint is drying now, once that is done i will mount up the 3racing winch. also working on rear tube cage. so i suppose mine is definitely going to be more rock/trail racer and a little less crawler
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Hey, here is a video of mine with a Novak 8.5T 5000KV Brushless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xOYXLYG-oA
Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

oh yeah! they are trail racers and crawlers! my friend can keep up with my comp crawler on trails and courses at my house for the most part
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I have a couple of scale(ish) trail trucks with brushless systems in them, and I love them! Low speed control for crawling/climbing is a little touchy, but the wheelspeed is there when I wanna bash or just let 'er rip. Just like the real thing, sometimes you gotta throttle it out

Wisconsin rigs

Stay safe!

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
It seems to me that crawling shocks are quite horrid when you are going fast. Are you going to switch out for shocks with slightly softer springs and a lot thinner oil?
That is the exact dilemma I'm faced with now, with my SCX10. I'm trying a set of RC4WD 90mm scale shocks now. I'm using the springs that came with them, with 1/8" of pre-load in the right rear, and 20 weight oil.
The truck settles on to its springs slightly when at rest, and it crawls very well for the limited articulation it has. But high speed suspension inputs seem very harsh, and the truck has a bouncier ride than I'd like when running at higher speeds.

We probably need shocks with more sophisticated valving for these scale trucks that see a broader range of duty types...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

what are you guys using at the tranny end of the drive shaft to keep them on I have tried metal yokes with ss outputs but the grub screws need continual maintnence cuz they keep loosening (yes Ive tried locktite) .thanks
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote