Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Grims SCX10 project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Grims SCX10 project.

Ok After looking at this truck all day on the net I have finally decided to buy it.

Im wondering what else will I need with it.
Ie. motor, esc(brushed or brushless), a good radio, and anything else.

So first of, motor/esc

Ive seen the Novak Rooster Crawler set, for around $100 with the 55t motor, Or should I go for brushless?

Should I go with lipos, which I would need to buy them plus a charger or stay with NiMH, which I already have them and charger.
MrGrimxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Stick with the NiHm's for now. Lipo's are great but since you already have the NiHms, it's cheaper to start. You can always upgrade later but 3S lipos spinning a 35T lathe motor is mud friendly.

You'll need the motor. I think a 35t lathe is a better idea than a 55t as in the Novak Rooster crawler combo. The SCX gearing is the same as the regular Scorpion sets but with smaller tires. The 55t would too slow on 6-7 cell NiHm's with out changing the gears or using taller tires.

Steering servo. what ever flavor you like in 100 in/oz plus range. The bigger the better.

ESC. I like the Novak Rooster Crawler and I use it in my SCX but there are lots of options. Just look for something with a high BEC amp rating or plan to get a seperate BEC unit like Castle's. The Novak Rooster is only 1 amp but the Rooster Crawler is 5 amp so make sure you get the right one if you go that route.

and lastly the Radio. I love my DX3R but I'm currently using a DX6i because of future upgrades like a winch and lights. Any basic radio will work but go big if you can afford it. Might as well invest in something high end because it can work with vitually any RC. If your gonna expand into winches or any anything else like Dig, look into something with a 3 position 3rd channel just to make it easier.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
Stick with the NiHm's for now. Lipo's are great but since you already have the NiHms, it's cheaper to start. You can always upgrade later but 3S lipos spinning a 35T lathe motor is mud friendly.

You'll need the motor. I think a 35t lathe is a better idea than a 55t as in the Novak Rooster crawler combo. The SCX gearing is the same as the regular Scorpion sets but with smaller tires. The 55t would too slow on 6-7 cell NiHm's with out changing the gears or using taller tires.

Steering servo. what ever flavor you like in 100 in/oz plus range. The bigger the better.

ESC. I like the Novak Rooster Crawler and I use it in my SCX but there are lots of options. Just look for something with a high BEC amp rating or plan to get a seperate BEC unit like Castle's. The Novak Rooster is only 1 amp but the Rooster Crawler is 5 amp so make sure you get the right one if you go that route.

and lastly the Radio. I love my DX3R but I'm currently using a DX6i because of future upgrades like a winch and lights. Any basic radio will work but go big if you can afford it. Might as well invest in something high end because it can work with vitually any RC. If your gonna expand into winches or any anything else like Dig, look into something with a 3 position 3rd channel just to make it easier.

Thanks. Shounds good, as for the radio, I think ill just go basic. mainly because this is only my first crawler and i dont plan on using winches or adding any lights, and stuff.

This is more just to mess around with, and i dont like the look of regular crawlers, 1.9s look SOOO much better!

-
OK here is this list

SCX10 - 249.99
Tekin T35 Rock Crawler Brushed Motor (35T) - 29.49
Novak Rooster Crawler-Edition Brushed Electronic Speed Control - 89.99
Futaba S3305 High Torque Servo w/Metal Gears 29.99
399.46 for the total.

Ill just be using the radio from my Blackfoot Xtreme, so I wont need to purchase that.

Last edited by MrGrimxX; 02-18-2009 at 08:25 AM.
MrGrimxX is offline   Reply With Quote