Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: differences between ax10 and scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Default differences between ax10 and scx10

could anybody help me out here, i know the ax10 kit is unassembled, and needs electronics, i know the scx10 needs electronics but is it unassembled too?

does it flex like the ax10?
is it a crawler, can it do what the ax10 kit can do?

i don't know if there are any other differences but if so please help a guy out.
quarterpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

The SCX10 is completely in kit form. You have to assemble every bit of it.

The SCX gives up a lot of flex to the AX10 due to it's design. It is a very scale setup with true steel channel frame rails like a real truck. It doesn't use the twin vertical plates like the AX10. For crawling, no contest the AX is far superior to the SCX. But, that's not what the SCX is about. It is a scale truck. It is intended for trail running and whatnot. They have two totally different themes in their design and intended usage.
Ayers.Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The AX10 is intended for competion and the SCX is not. The SCX is for trails, mild crawling and to look scale. It's very capable on the rocks as a scale rig but not like a comp rig.

Kits - same - No electronics, completely unassembled and untrimmed and unpainted body

Axles - Same but SCX has thinner hexes
Steering - Same
Links - SCX has short lower links but longer upper link. Upper link mounts to axle the same
Trans and drive shafts - same but SCX comes with slipper clutch

everything else is different, meaning wheels, shocks and chassis
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
DBR
Quarry Creeper

SCX = scaler/trainer
AX = dedicated crawler

If you know you want to compete and can only afford one rig, get the AX-10. If you want to practice and have a rig that has the potential be a scaler too, get the SCX-10.

Otherwise, wait for the Losi 1/10. It is going to melt faces it rocks so hard
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i first bought the ax and put a c10 long bed body in attempt to make a scaler. then finally the scx came out so i bought scx chassis. i took links and shocks from ax and temporarily bolted my ax chassis to the side of scx chassis and crawls better than ax because battery is lower and up front. buy scx you wont regret it. crawlin is way more fun when your rig looks real. spaceship looking crawlers get old real quick.
aircooled67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think that is true - "Spaceship Looking Crawlers get Old real quick"

Good One
Steve at Danfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

id have to disagree there
beig able to make a climb that looks impossible, w/ a comp rig never gets old , and also makes me do this weird evil grin whenever i see it

like jason said-
"the term scaler competition is an oxymoron"
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

All depends on what you want in your crawler. If you want a straigt out crawler, I would say the AX or build your own.

If you want it to look like a 1:1, or as close as can be, get scx-10. These SCX-10s can crawl as well. don't let these comp only non scale guys fool ya. LOL
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
All depends on what you want in your crawler. If you want a straigt out crawler, I would say the AX or build your own.

If you want it to look like a 1:1, or as close as can be, get scx-10. These SCX-10s can crawl as well. don't let these comp only non scale guys fool ya. LOL
actually i just started a scale project http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165324

i have to admitt i can see why some guys really get into it
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Scale Crawler

That is a beautiful Scale project NeXt559 - I want to do something with some Proline Parts to acheive something that looks good. I will post some Pix when I'm done and ask questions along the way - Great Forum - Steve up in Ottawa Canada
Steve at Danfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

Dumb question, but does the SCX10 come with instructions?
SawyerRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #12

SCX10 comes with a great manual. I did not have any problem with the build. Took me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from opening the box to having it zip around. Manual is very clear and easy to follow.
Pete720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #13

Heck, it comes with instructions, thread locker, gear grease, shock oil, even an allen wrench or two, as well as the obligatory 4 sided wheel wrench.
Ayers.Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Syd
Quarry Creeper

I started out with a AX10 RTR;
Didnt have it 24 hours, Went an bought

Novak 55t
New Spurs/Pinions
STRC Links & Skid

While puttin all the upgrades on, I installed the front locker to

Waited a month;

Bought

TCS X-Trail
Geolander Treads
Weighted The Wheels
Proline Rack & Tools
Ford f-250 body

Started as a 250$ crawler, an it ended up to be as much as my Tmaxx (:
I'm still runnin the stock ESC an put my Rustler RX & Transmitter & Servo in my crawler, an put the Axial RX & Transmitter & Servo in my Rustler
I want another Crawler,But I'm sorta leanin towards building a scale trophy truck.

If you startin out with just crawling around, I'd get a RTR, Everythings included in it, An its a blast. Its only as much as the SC10 & Kit AX10. Id get a RTR if I were you, but if you want it as a kit an build it, Either the Kit AX10 or SCX, Just add eletroinics.

Its totally up to you
Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #15

Please excuse my ignorance. Im looking into picking up an axial and only have experience with touring cars and that Nylint crawler they sell at walmart. Would it be possible to run a taller upper shock mount and and longer shock to achiever more travel on the scx10 or would the servo hit the frame and negate any reason to do this. Does the shock bottom out stock? What is the limiting factor in the suspension travel? I want a truck that looks scale and am willing to sacrifice some travel over the ax10 to have it look more real/perportional. Thanks
Camo_2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
RCC Addict

there are spacers on the outer portion of the shock shaft that limits the travel quite a bit.
w/ them on you loose about half an inch of travel
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have a SCX and my cousin an AX. Mine doesn't straight out crawl better than his but its pretty close. I can drive his AX, which is a modded comp style crawler (moonbuggy!), and it gets old real quick. Where as I can drive mine all day long and still not get tired or bored with it.
MiddleT is offline   Reply With Quote