Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: How freely should the Spur Gear spin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default How freely should the Spur Gear spin?

OK - I have the Transmission all done with the Spool in place - The spur gear seems a bit tight. How freely should it turn at this point?
Attached Images

Steve at Danfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First ditch the metal spur that's crap. Sounds like you tigthened up the nut way to tight on the slipper clutch. Back off the nut a little that holes the spur in place. If you want stronger gears go with a 32 pitch plastic spur and a metal pinion.

Last edited by chip cross; 04-08-2009 at 06:46 AM.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

OK - I put on the stock Spur Gear - and loosened off the nut so it's only just holding on by a several theads. I guess something is wrong because the Spur still seems a little tight to turn. Should it spin a bit if you give it a push or what?
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Steve, are you talking about the spur slipping, or are you talking about the tranny turning when you spin the spur/shaft?

If you greased the tranny well, it should will not spin freely when you turn the spur by hand. If it is really hard to turn the spur/shaft, you might want to check the tranny for binding. Disassemble and double check that all the bearings are fully seated. Make sure the outdrives are installed correctly and fully seated.

Dave
toyjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As said above if the trans has grease in the inside on the trans gears it will not free spin, but it should not have any binding in the trans if you spin the spur by hand. The trans should spin smooth with no binding at all. If you have binding something is not just right on the inside. As for the nut that holds on the slipper clutch I would take the 4 way wrench that came with your kit and tigthen the nut all the way up to compress the spring and then back the nut off a 1/4 turn. I have always set my slipper clutches up like that.

Last edited by chip cross; 04-08-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Stupid phone
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am talking about the tranny. I have it nicely greased and will check it again - Thanks Guys.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

It's a lot better now and I believe acceptable - I used the plastic transmission spacer insted of the metal one that came with the HR Spool. I shall proceed - Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve at Danfor View Post
OK - I put on the stock Spur Gear - and loosened off the nut so it's only just holding on by a several theads. I guess something is wrong because the Spur still seems a little tight to turn. Should it spin a bit if you give it a push or what?

You want that nut a lot tighter. Tighten the nut so it is flush with the end of the nut. then give one more turn nad that will still be on the loose side. With the nut barely hanging on like that it will come off and you will loose parts.

You should be doing this with the trans mounted, axles attached, drive shaft attached, and wheels mounted. While holding the big gear (spur I think) crank down the nut and make sure the wheels are not spinning either. Once you have it tightened you should be able to move the big gear with your fingernails. If oyu have the kit it also tells you how to adjust the slipper. I have the RTR AX10 and saw how far the nut was on the slipper on that truck and tightend the slipper on my SCX10 the same and all is good.

Last edited by grimgard; 04-10-2009 at 12:25 PM.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

is it bad to have the slipper tightened all the way down? because to be honest i didnt want a slipper but thats all there was in the kit so i tightened it all the way down so it would barely ever slip. I just want to know if that will cause any problems down the road
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox109 View Post
is it bad to have the slipper tightened all the way down? because to be honest i didnt want a slipper but thats all there was in the kit so i tightened it all the way down so it would barely ever slip. I just want to know if that will cause any problems down the road
A slipper clutch is designed to "slip" if your in a bind so you do not strip the gears in your transmission. With HI-Torque motors this is easier than you think. I would advise backing off the slipper and let it do its job. There are people who drive with no slipper clutch and they are the ones who are replacing stripped gears.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ive never stripped anything on my comp rig so i figured its even less likely with this scaler wieghing half as much. So besides possibly breaking stuff my question would be would it wear the slipper pads faster or cause bad wear to the pads making the slipper slip easily. I have a feeling it would cause quicker wear but at the same time i dont because the slipper would not be slipping as much.
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

This is good - I am interested in these replies - Thanks