Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Smokey's CR-01 Land Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Smokey's CR-01 Land Cruiser

i started out with the Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser body. Then i ripped apart the rims, and started cutting the foam and making my own lead rope out of fishing line and weights(20 on both front rims) since i couldn't find the real deal. Then i painted the rims black and slapped them back them back together. Im running the Venom 50t Fireball motor with stock gearing and all the electronics and battery is in the stock locations. I also added a Duratrax Warhaed Evo front bumper, and a Traxxas T-maxx rear bumper and i fuel tank i found layin around.

smokey 526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Dude that looks cool! good Job!
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Dude that looks cool! good Job!
thanx im gonna put some new pics up tonight because i trimmed the back of the body, move the mounts for the front bumper behind the frame, made the body more level and a little lower, and wrapped a piece of metal shirt hanger around the fuel tank the hold it to the frame but its only temporary.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey 526 View Post
thanx im gonna put some new pics up tonight because i trimmed the back of the body, move the mounts for the front bumper behind the frame, made the body more level and a little lower, and wrapped a piece of metal shirt hanger around the fuel tank the hold it to the frame but its only temporary.
Next time find some one to help you make shorter or longer links so you do not haveto hack up the body. It stilll looks cool but the fenders make it look more real.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Next time find some one to help you make shorter or longer links so you do not haveto hack up the body. It stilll looks cool but the fenders make it look more real.
True, but it actually looks really cool in the back and i like how it looks like it has an extended wheel base, check it out.

you can see how i mounted the fuel tank

only rubs a bit but i might trim some off

moved the mounts to behind the frame and added some stickers
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I trimmed the front fenders and it helped out a lot i also used more fishing weights in some bags and double-taped them to the receiver and servo.

barely rubs

Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

im gonna attempt to make some mounts to reposition the servo to the frame and dremmel the servo posts off the axle so it looks more realistic. Also ive been looking at the new tamiya bronco body and i might buy it cuz i have some good ideas for it
Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i successfully made some mounts to reposition the servo and i came out really nice. Very very minimal bump steer and i also dremmeled the servo posts off the front and back axles. My front bumper fell off so i made a much better mount for it. sorry about the pics im not to familiar with this camera.

rear mount

front mount

rear axle

front bumper with new mount which you can hardly see.

some action shots in my backyard right before the bumper fell off

you can see im already missing an eye ball lol

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Went to my friends house to crawl on his course and we made some teeter-totters out of some wood and PVC piping. my rig crawled over every thing with ease and didnt break anything well be going to Mt. baldy tomorrow, awesome spot to crawl, should be fun heres all the pics

His course

the teeter-totter

this is my favorite pic so far

swapped wheels for laughs

Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Smokey's low budget Land Cruiser

this post is a very long one with lots of pics so enjoy

First major differences you will notice is there are no more bumpers cuz they fell off but im working on brazing some better ones. Its also taller since i made some ghetto shock tower additions. the electronics were moved around and the receiver box was located to the rear to look like a gas tank and the servo mounts were redone. lastly i put BB's in the tires for wieght. in all ive spent nothing to upgrade it except aluminum Y joints for the 3 link and all the electronics.

the worst down side to the truck is the bump steer.

the front shock tower

the towers also give the shocks more of an angle which helps

the aluminum Y joints made the axles way more sturdy and stopped my problem with the lower links popping off the joints

Flexx shots

i get a bit more flex in the front which is what i wanted for a more scale performance