Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: a few issues on my new scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default a few issues with my new scx10

hi all, i recently acquired a new scx10 from a friend. i got it home and charged up the battery and noticed a few problems. when lifted in the air and throttle applied, i get an awful chattering at both ends of the truck. if i fully compress the suspension, the chattering stops. the rig already had MIP CVD's on it. i am not sure that these are even made for the scx10, but the shafts are not bottomed out, and turn freely without any apparent binding, although the angle is quite steep. the axles were already clocked. the front forward, and the rear backward. This is where i am having my next issue. when i go to full lock with the steering, the tire seems to turn under the wheel, and seems to push the rig outward. i have readjusted the pinion angle on the front axle, bringing the knuckles parallel to the ground. this seems to help, but doesnt solve my problem, and seems to add more of an angle to my cvd's. my last issue is with my new novak fifty five. i have properly set my gear mesh, and all seems well there, but when i go into reverse, i get a clicking sound coming from the motor that increases with speed, but stops at full throttle. i only get this sound in reverse. Remember, this is a New Kit. The scaler had never been run and the novak combo was new in box. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will also add that the person i got it from upgraded to xxl big bores and had it setup for full droop. i didnt like it and made it sprung again.

Last edited by rulowenough03; 06-22-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: needed to add something
rulowenough03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

I get the same clicking noise with my Novak 55. I'm not sure what it is but I haven't had any problems with the combo so far. I think maybe its just a naturaly loud motor.... i'm hoping anyway. I get the noise when going forward too.
towerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerdog View Post
I get the same clicking noise with my Novak 55. I'm not sure what it is but I haven't had any problems with the combo so far. I think maybe its just a naturaly loud motor.... i'm hoping anyway. I get the noise when going forward too.
yeah, it sounds like there is something in the motor, like a piece of paper or something small that is stuck in there. i have checked it and didnt see anything
Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is the in-set grub screw on the pinion completely out of the way from hitting the spur gear on a full revolution of the spur? I had that clicking sound and simply moved the pinion a tad toward the motor. Sounds easy...Just a suggestion to check it...

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
Is the in-set grub screw on the pinion completely out of the way from hitting the spur gear on a full revolution of the spur? I had that clicking sound and simply moved the pinion a tad toward the motor. Sounds easy...Just a suggestion to check it...

JB
i checked the grub screw when i got home and it was pretty close to the spur, but not touching it. i loosened it and slid it toward the motor just in case. but i still have the same problem. thanks for the suggestion
Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

my novak 55t also clicks, but only in reverse. works fine though. maybe its just what they do?
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Hateraide

there is no problem with the angle of your driveshafts and those are great driveshafts meant for any axial crawler/scaler
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
there is no problem with the angle of your driveshafts and those are great driveshafts meant for any axial crawler/scaler
thanks for the reply on the driveshafts. I thought they were ok, but for the life of me, i cannot figure out where all that chattering is coming from. i havent had the axle housing apart yet. maybe the original owner forgot to grease it, or maybe it just needs to be worked in. thanks for the input.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
DBR
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulowenough03 View Post
thanks for the reply on the driveshafts. I thought they were ok, but for the life of me, i cannot figure out where all that chattering is coming from. i havent had the axle housing apart yet. maybe the original owner forgot to grease it, or maybe it just needs to be worked in. thanks for the input.
I would yank the axles apart and check to make sure the pinion bearing is fully seated.

just my two copper discs though
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
dkf
Rock Crawler

From your pictures I'd say your truck looks normal. (Nice setup BTW) I would get some extra set screws for the outputs on the end of the MIPs, helps keep the shafts in place.

Are those shocks the X Long T-maxx shocks or are they the Long traxxas shocks?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
From your pictures I'd say your truck looks normal. (Nice setup BTW) I would get some extra set screws for the outputs on the end of the MIPs, helps keep the shafts in place.

Are those shocks the X Long T-maxx shocks or are they the Long traxxas shocks?
thanks for the compliment. i am not finished with the wiring yet. gotta tidy up the switch wire and antenna. the shocks are xxl big bores for a tmaxx. I love them. they are super smooth. as for the rig, i am overall satisfied with it. i can deal with the chattering, but my main concern is the steering. i had a heavily modded ax-10 with everything you could think of on it, and i did not have this issue with the steering. its like i have a tremendous amount of positive camber when i go full lock. the wheel tries to dig into the ground.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Hateraide

you got to remember one thing to ur running a smaller tire and less weight so it will act different,it all looks very normal u should try to get some video and we can help some more
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
you got to remember one thing to ur running a smaller tire and less weight so it will act different,it all looks very normal u should try to get some video and we can help some more
check back in a few minutes. i will try to post up a vid.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Here are a few vids of what my rig is doing. One is of my steering issue and the other is of the chattering. notice in the first video how the left front wheel looks like it is pointed in at the bottom and the tire looks like it is kinda rolled under, like it has positive camber.

Last edited by rulowenough03; 06-22-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #15

mine does the same thing, i am running 3 racing alloy drive shafts though. I would be keen to know why it does it? when i first drove it it did not do it though. It only seemed to start after about 4 months of hard thrashing:?, doesnt seem to do it on the ground though?, i pulled my diffs apart and found that the clip the holds the small drive cog had fallen off though, re installed it, re greased using high temp bearing grease and it still does the same thing? i am sooooo puzled and would love to hear a fix for this.
upandover82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandover82 View Post
mine does the same thing, i am running 3 racing alloy drive shafts though. I would be keen to know why it does it? when i first drove it it did not do it though. It only seemed to start after about 4 months of hard thrashing:?, doesnt seem to do it on the ground though?, i pulled my diffs apart and found that the clip the holds the small drive cog had fallen off though, re installed it, re greased using high temp bearing grease and it still does the same thing? i am sooooo puzled and would love to hear a fix for this.
it is puzzling, thats for sure. im going to tear the axles down and check everything out real good. the thing is, it doesnt do it all the time. i am hoping its just one of those things that fixes itself. by the way, sweet looking body you have there. i have one of the new bright LR3 bodies, without the interior, that i would like to mount, but i am going to have to shorten my wheelbase a little, or do something like you did to make it work.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Personally I would ditch the mip's for traxxas shafts and clock the front axle back so the stearing knuckles are closer to parallel to the ground instead of diving down which from the video would cause the tires to roll really bad. If you still have the stock link set up it may help to try those out as well. It also looks like you have some massive ground clearance with those shocks maxing out your suspention linkages and driveshafts giving you that chatter. May want to try some internal limiters on the shocks so you dont have all that extention causing the bind. The reasons I like the traxxas shaft are that there cheep, easy to replace, tough, and I would rather twist or break a driveshaft first instead of something internal. I think the steal shafts are to heavy and and way to hard on stock drivetrains. I hope some of this rambling helps GOOD LUCK:-P
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

you got purty hands

crystal's gonna yell at you for having the tv that loud though
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
dkf
Rock Crawler

The tires on mine are like that too when steering. The axle being clocked has a lot to do with it. I also think the stock proline memory foams are sort of crappy as they seem to offer minimal sidewall support so the tire tends to roll under. My rear tires are even slightly rolled under from general running. I think I'm going to pick up some different foams sometime, the only thing is I'm not shure which ones.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

so last night, after all the suggestions you guys gave me, i decided to try a few things. i removed my shocks and used the stock limiters that came with the original shocks. this lowered my rig a little and brought the driveshaft down to a more tolerable angle. while i had the shocks off, i removed the uppers and lowers, and replaced them with the stock links. popped in a battery, set up some pillows on the floor for testing and went at it. the chattering i was experiencing seems to be gone(i am guessing the driveshafts were binding at such a steep angle) but i still have the steering issue, although it does seem to be better.