Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hand Bros Frame mount steering and front mounted battery issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Hand Bros Frame mount steering and front mounted battery issue...

Ok I know that a ton of guys are running the hand bros steering conversion, I just got done building up my scx 10 and used the hand bros kit, along with a dinky 4 link out back.. the downside is that I cant seem to figure out how to mount a standard 6 cell pack up front...
If any of you guys have done it please post up pics.. Would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Crawler King...
Oh yea there will be pics of the rig up shortly
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

cant you do it some what like this, sideways between the trans and front shock towers.i know its not a scx10 frame but you get the idea.

jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I actually looked at doing somthing along those lines but was so pumped to get it running that I went and mounted it to the rear instead of taking the time to hash it out right the first time.. similar to what you have done....
Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You'd have to set a stick pack on it's side, and then you'd be limited on how low you can mount your body in the front.

You almost can't put a stick pack right up front, closest you can probably get is crossways across the frame rails right behind the front wheels.

This is why I switched to LiPos, you can't fit NiMh packs anywhere. They're too big and heavy. I run 11.1 volt 3s LiPo packs in my SCX10, they fit perfectly right between the servo and the right shock tower and give me more voltage than I really need in a very compact package I notched the stock battery plate to fit around the servo and bolted it right in the front of the chassis. One velcro strap holds the pack tight through anything...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
dkf
Rock Crawler

You could buy some 2/3A 1500 or 1600mah stick packs or just mount the pack out back. I have my pack out back and have the ESC mounted between the body posts on a mount I made. If you weigh the wheels and shift weight around the rear pack works fine.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I say it's time to get yourself some smaller battery packs. Get away from those stick packs that weight a ton and take up so much room. I have some Elite 8 cell 2/3A packs that I would sell ya fairly cheap. I went to lipos and I really don't think I'll use them anymore. I have 2 of them both built by Cheap Battery Packs..a vendor on here.

Mine has the Hand Bros. steering kit also and I made up a shelf that has just enough room to fit an 8 cell pack right next to the servo.

There's a link in my sig to "Templates" that has a printable PDF for this shelf if you want to make one.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I say it's time to get yourself some smaller battery packs. Get away from those stick packs that weight a ton and take up so much room. I have some Elite 8 cell 2/3A packs that I would sell ya fairly cheap. I went to lipos and I really don't think I'll use them anymore. I have 2 of them both built by Cheap Battery Packs..a vendor on here.

Mine has the Hand Bros. steering kit also and I made up a shelf that has just enough room to fit an 8 cell pack right next to the servo.

There's a link in my sig to "Templates" that has a printable PDF for this shelf if you want to make one.
I'm planning something like this myself, but I'll be using a lipo pack. For a stick pack I think crossways behind the front wheels is probably your best bet.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sigh... I have been resisting the need to switch to lipo power for some time..
My biggest concern is the whole not water freindly thing and the prone to horrible chemical fire thing..... and the cost...
I have been running a pair of 5000 Milliamp 6 cell sticks for some time and just love the run times I get out of them...
What if I may ask would be equivelint in the lipo world??? I reallyu need to buy a copy of lipos for dummies...
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
Sigh... I have been resisting the need to switch to lipo power for some time..
My biggest concern is the whole not water freindly thing and the prone to horrible chemical fire thing..... and the cost...
I have been running a pair of 5000 Milliamp 6 cell sticks for some time and just love the run times I get out of them...
What if I may ask would be equivelint in the lipo world??? I reallyu need to buy a copy of lipos for dummies...
I resisted for quite a while. NiMH was where it was at for me...but finally made the lipo plunge here recently, and now won't look back. Making the leap was more expensive for me since I had to buy a charger too. I had a charger that I used for the NiMH packs...but it was not able to charge lipo...so that was an added cost at the same time as actually purchasing the new lipos.

I have yet to actually get out and get a full run in on one of my rigs with a lipo...but from what I have done in the backyard testing, it seems as though the packs I have will last for a good run. They won't be anywhere near the run time you're getting out of those 5000mah packs...but what you loose in run time you'll gain in much less weight, less bulk, and more power/punch. Much easier to find space for them in builds.

I have a couple 1290mah packs from MaxAmps...both in 2s & 3s, and also some of their 800mah 2s & 3s. So far they seem very nice. The 800mah packs are of course not going to net a bunch of run time, but they are perfect for very tight mounting locations when space is a premium. These packs are smaller than one of those small packs of stick gum.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
dkf
Rock Crawler

I'm sticking with Nimhs for a while. I got the charger and the packs so I'm using them.

Heres a way you can mount your stick pack.

Battery Mounting thread
Battery packs mounting?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote