Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 articulation question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SCX-10 articulation question.

I Just finished putting my truck together and drove it about 10 minutes ago. I was wondering if there was any way to get more articulation out of it with out hacking to much. I was also wondering if anyone was running softer springs and if anyone has removed the limiters in the stock shocks?
The problem I am having is that before the front tire stuffs in the fender the rear lifts off the ground and flips me over. It climbs great, but anything off camber and it topples.
Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Remove the rubber stops that you were suposed to put on the shock shafts. Wont hurt it any it's the easiest way.
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #3

softer springs will help, also put some weight on the wheels
wagoner79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What shock setup do you recommend? Soft/ supersoft ? And should I change both springs to softer springs or just the bottom or top.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
DBR
Quarry Creeper

Move the battery low and up front, weight the tires, and change bodies. To get any wheel clearance, you either have to hack the body like crazy or mount it way too high.

Read the posts here from when the truck first came out. Lots of build threads have good write-ups with pictures that show a lot of good tips.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
09 RCA champ!

the stock springs are about perfect for my setup. i dont have the rubber limiters though
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
dkf
Rock Crawler

I have the stock limiters on my shocks and weighted the tires. I also replaced the stock 40mm green springs with 40mm white springs all around.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you're runnin' unaltered stock Axial wheels, they most definitely need some weight. I wrapped mine w/ old dirty solder I did'nt want to actually solder with anymore, until the center groove was full.

I'm running the stock green springs, and the limiters on the shafts are cut down 1/8". The stock kit shocks are actually quite acceptable IF you are careful and meticulous about assembling them (they perform 10 times better at high speeds than the RC4WD internal-spring scale shocks I tried for a while - lesson learned is that scale shock boots need to be REALLY flimsy and thin to NOT have an adverse effect on the shocks performance) I flip the springs so the retainer between them is down around the shaft instead of around the shock body, this alone really frees them up because the retainer binds against the shock body as the springs move.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Remove the rubber stops that you were suposed to put on the shock shafts. Wont hurt it any it's the easiest way.
Would that be part #AXA1358?

Thanks
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #10

I had the same problem. I moved the battery and removed the rubber stops. It worked for me.
jaygvert57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

This is just my opinion but we are talking about a scale chassis and not a purpose built crawler so with that in mind I think the articulation is more than enough out of the box. My SCX will out crawl some custom chassis as it is. I have the battery and electronics all in the front.

I feel that any more articulation will detract from the scale appearence and performance. Driving this scaler sure does remind me of driving our full size Broncos, Blazers, FJs, CJs and Ranchargers back in the early 80s. I love the scale performance. If I want extreme crawler than I use my AX-10 outfitted for max crawling.

BTW: the stock shocks work rather well.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #12

Thumbs up scx10 more articulation

I had the same problem. Instead of investing any money into the problem I found a set of stock ax10 shocks. I semi drooped them with a 90% droop 10% sprung (internal springs).

Articulates like a champ, just the change I wanted for little money. Have fun with it. I plan to move the steering servo to the frame up front, put the radio/electronic box as a gas tank and the battery behind the servo.
AliBabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

like everyone else i didnt put those limiters on my shocks when i got mine

earlier i moved my battery to the front and removed my foams and put some bbs in my tires and its 100% better.
i couldnt put my battery as low as i would have liked but to me recievers height but still works much better
stevelknievel is offline   Reply With Quote