Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 vs AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 vs AX10

Does anyone use the scx10 to compete in trials? ...i mean agains AX10s

What do you do? Just run it on 2.2 wheels and chop off the body?
adrians3109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i have an ax-10 and scx-10 of my friends at my house and on my trails even with 1.9s the scx-10 will keep up on the trails with out much struggle but you can add 2.2s and raise the body up and it works about the same other than the tires dont fall in holes and can crawl a little better on the rocks
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks mate... i'll try 2.2 tyres then and see how it goes from there.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default 2.2

hey guys i just put 2.2s on my scx10 tr an theres no way they will work there just isnt any clearance at all
jetdog racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

There is no comparison between a properly setup and tuned competition chassis and an SCX10 chassis.

The SCX10 chassis was made to resemble a 1:1 chassis so it follows the lines of what auto manufacturers deemed necessary for an interior full of people and stuff. Because of that it is heavy, has worse break over, departure & approach angles and is not fit for a competition style truck.

If you want to compete with an Axial, get a comp chassis. Even the stock AX10 chassis (when properly setup) will work better in a comp situation than the scx10 chassis.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #6

I was thinking the same question. I feel that the SCX handles anything you throw in front of it!! It all depends on the approach angle, etc.. The only main difference is the stock wheel base between the two. I like running the scale chasis more than the comp set up, a-lot more fun!!
gernade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernade View Post
I was thinking the same question. I feel that the SCX handles anything you throw in front of it!! It all depends on the approach angle, etc.. The only main difference is the stock wheel base between the two. I like running the scale chasis more than the comp set up, a-lot more fun!!
No, that is not the only difference.

Please trust me when I say you will need a serious competition chassis if you want to compete seriously.

I'm not saying the SCX10 platform isn't fun. I freaking love mine. But it is not going to keep up with a good driver and hos comp rig.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i asked because i already tried taking my stock scx in a friendly trial against beefed up axials. I'm no expert but didnt expect to go that bad...ok trials were a little bit hard and my scx couldnt really keep up...even just with the body i had trouble passing throught some spaces. So thought maybe of getting the 2.2 wheels and a high clearance body (or chop mine) would help a bit. I dont want to win any competition with it...but would love to at least be able to do better.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians3109 View Post
i asked because i already tried taking my stock scx in a friendly trial against beefed up axials. I'm no expert but didnt expect to go that bad...ok trials were a little bit hard and my scx couldnt really keep up...even just with the body i had trouble passing throught some spaces. So thought maybe of getting the 2.2 wheels and a high clearance body (or chop mine) would help a bit. I dont want to win any competition with it...but would love to at least be able to do better.
put a bigblock v8!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #10

IMO... i understand where youre coming from, you can tune and tune and adjust this and that but the reality is that it all comes down to the frame.
The comp frame will (tuned correctly) do better at comp lines.
The scx10 frame is based on a truck frame, and is limited in comp lines.
You just cant compare the two.. like i said you can tune and add 2.2s and raise the body but , thats not the point..

if you have a scx10 go on a trail run,, if you have a comp crawler,, compete...lol

just MY OPINION>. I have both by the way...
anyone can correct me if im wrong........
omarsez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default One of each

omarsez is right on the money. If you are in the hobby for any length of time you will end up owning a comp rig and a Scaler(SCX10 or whatever). The thing that you should understand is that they are becoming more different and if you want a serious comp rig then you don't even want an axial because Axials are shafties! Pretty much all series comp drivers are switching to MOA(motor on axle). So you want an SCX10 and a Berg or whatever the MOA rig de jour is

Last edited by lwarc; 11-05-2009 at 02:11 PM.
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default My Scaler is my comp rig

Oh yeah - and like my signature says - I run my scaler against comp rigs all the time. Using 2.2 wheels on an Xtrail chassis with an axial tranny and wheely king axles. My goal is not to win - my goal is to not be last

I would not mind winning - but I don't want to win enough to drop $1000 on a MOA based comp rig that is so ugly I can't even stand to look at it
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarc View Post
Oh yeah - and like my signature says - I run my scaler against comp rigs all the time. Using 2.2 wheels on an Xtrail chassis with an axial tranny and wheely king axles. My goal is not to win - my goal is to not be last

I would not mind winning - but I don't want to win enough to drop $1000 on a MOA based comp rig that is so ugly I can't even stand to look at it

haha i like your way of thinking... for now i'm sticking to my scx10 ...no budget for another rig...for me the fact that i'm taking part in something is enough so i guess i'll make the best out of what i have.

I wont raise the body...instead i'll lower stock body to the max and when i get the 2.2s i will chop off the arches. Will add weight to front of chassis as well and to 2.2 wheels and i think that's about it....

and hopefully we wont come last LOL ...liked this
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

can u run the 2.2's without it rubbing anything if you running no body? or is the scx10 just not designed 2 use that big of tires?
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
can u run the 2.2's without it rubbing anything if you running no body? or is the scx10 just not designed 2 use that big of tires?
i guess you can...since people are saying they already do. Personally havent tried yet though.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarc View Post
...My goal is not to win - my goal is to not be last
lol Thanks for this. Same here btw

Also ditto on the look of most comp rigs
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #17

4ws scx10 2.2 17.5 brushless
bowmansscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Is that a Ford intake plaque for a bedI see??? 5.0 explorer?

My CompCourier will NEVER be as capable as a true Comp Crawler but MAN is it fun to hit lines that the Comp boys shake their heads at and some cant even follow. Its rare, and tastes sooooo gooooood!

And YES you can run 2.2s on an SCX10 without issues other than body rub...look around the 2.2 sections and you will notice most builds are SCX10 based.

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #19

yep...was too heavy tho so switched it to a 53 ford f100 with a balsa bed. under project copperhead on this site
bowmansscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
RCC Addict

2.2 tires , no rubbing , no body cutting. 4inch shocks
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote