Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: BGGruff's TR (Stage 2 Courier)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default BGGruff's TR (Stage 2 Courier)

Yea I know...Another TR! But what do ya expect since it is an RTR. Let me just say that I am impressed with this kit. Rught out of the box it is very capable. I've run a pack thru it and it is very stable even with the battery in the back. The motor 20T pinion combo is a little fast for me but altogether everything about this rig is damn cool. Axial has done a great job as expected! Well this is my "maiden voyage" with the TR but I will use this thread to update all mods I have in store for this little truck.

Specs:
Novak Rooster ESC
Holmes Handwound Yokomo 35T Motor
20T Pinion
Maxamps 3250mah 2S Lipo Battery
Spektrum DX3R TX
Losi MRC RX
RC4WD Rok Lox with Conformer memory Foams
2oz sticky weights on each front wheel
Vanquish SX2W Beadlocks
4 Link Truss with Axial Aluminum Links
Aluminum Steering linkage
Axial Blue Aluminum Suspension Links
RC4WD Swing away Spare Tire Rear Bumper
3Racing Winch
Either Custom Styrene Snorkel or RC4WD Snorkel (Future)
Axial Scale shocks w/ Aluminum Shock Bodies
Custom Styrene Interior/Modified Axial Interior
Scale Goodies
Reign RC Antenna
Styrene Front Fog Light Bracket
Front Tube Bumper by DH Fab (@tw!ll)
Sliders (DH Fab)
Team3Six Ropes
Full Size Functional Spare
Axial Axles with Vanquish Lockouts on the rear
Vanquish High Steer Knuckles and HR C's up front
Attached Images

Last edited by BGGruff; 07-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Here it is with my Rok Lox on Black Axial Beadlocks and some proline shackles installed in the front bumper.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

nice nice have you driven the truuck yet with the rok lox and are they regular slash beadlocks and its a 2 part right
rckid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckid14 View Post
nice nice have you driven the truuck yet with the rok lox and are they regular slash beadlocks and its a 2 part right
Thanks man! This is only the beginning, there is a lot I plan to do to this rig. I haven't driven it yet with the Rok Lox but I will as soon as I get it all put back together. It's getting a Rooster ESC, Axial 55T motor, 14T pinion, max amps 2s lipo, Spektrum DX3R Tx w/ Losi MRC Rx and some aluminum parts These are Axial Beadlocks not for the Slash.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Well I've got the Rooster ESC installed. Made a little styrene plate for it and mounted it to the rear crossmembers. I moved the battery plate to the front and used the supplied parts and a couple of aluminum posts to put the maxamps 2S lipo on. I also installed the Losi MRC RX and bound it to my DX3R so I can hook up my 3Racing winch. Next I'll be putting in my Axial 55T motor and 14T pinion along with the 4 Link bracket for the rear axle. I've also got some spare aluminum steering parts I'll be putting on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looking good man. I'm interested in seeing what you think of your 55t when you run it.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGGruff View Post
Thanks man! This is only the beginning, there is a lot I plan to do to this rig. I haven't driven it yet with the Rok Lox but I will as soon as I get it all put back together. It's getting a Rooster ESC, Axial 55T motor, 14T pinion, max amps 2s lipo, Spektrum DX3R Tx w/ Losi MRC Rx and some aluminum parts These are Axial Beadlocks not for the Slash.
yaaa haha there nice they look good haha i just relized that they are axial ones lol
rckid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
Looking good man. I'm interested in seeing what you think of your 55t when you run it.
Thanks! Hopefully I'll have it in before the night's over and then I'll be able to test it out tomorrow. This is a long term project b/c I'll eventually have a different esc with a 3S lipo hooked up to the 55T and possibly geared down even more.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Watching...Like the mounting plate you made for everything to fit onto. Good call. I also am anxious to see how you like the 55t, I am in the market for new motor with a rooster for my TR, but I don't want to sacrifice the wheel speed. Are you concerned about that at all or just going for some much needed torque?
nics1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

gah the rok lox look so good on these
ttown180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nics1152 View Post
Watching...Like the mounting plate you made for everything to fit onto. Good call. I also am anxious to see how you like the 55t, I am in the market for new motor with a rooster for my TR, but I don't want to sacrifice the wheel speed. Are you concerned about that at all or just going for some much needed torque?
Thanks! Well I do like the 55T but also have a 40t I may try out. I'm not worried about wheel b/c I'll keep swapping stuff out until I get the right amount of torque and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown180 View Post
gah the rok lox look so good on these
Thanks! I've been wanting these for a while and they look tough.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
RCC Addict

OK, I've swapped in the 55T and I ended up using the 20T pinion that came with the stock motor b/c I can't get the damn grub screw out of the 14T I wanted to use. Torque has improved as expected an with the 20T the wheel speed is also pretty good. I have a 40T Dirty Deeds motor that JPCustomRCs made that I may try out and see how the wheel speed is. I De anodized some aluminum tranny spacers I had laying around and threw those in. I also put the shackles on the rear bumper. Here are some pics of the test run after the new motor was swapped in.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Are those new tires taller than the stock flatirons? DO you still have enough clearence during articulation? How do you like the tires?
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #14

what tires work better the flats or the rocks
matt199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Little update: I got me some new beadlock rings. These things are sweet! I think the color goes great with offsetting the black wheels and complimenting the silver body. I've also started on a styrene Jamboree Rack for the back of the truck ( don't really see too many of these being made so I figured I give it a try.) I need somewhere to put my gas can, water can, cooler and toolbox.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Lookin good!!! Mine's startin to tick me off glitchin again, even with a BEC installed. How do you like the Rooster? All I really want is some smooth low throttle crawlin action instead of the jerky stuttering nonsense im gettin now...ruins some pretty good lines.
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Lookin good!!! Mine's startin to tick me off glitchin again, even with a BEC installed. How do you like the Rooster? All I really want is some smooth low throttle crawlin action instead of the jerky stuttering nonsense im gettin now...ruins some pretty good lines.
Matt
Thanks! I like my rooster. It's nice and smooth and has a good drag brake. With my DX3R set at 150% fwd throttle and the 55T motor with 20T pinion I also have pretty good wheel speed and plenty of low end.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Default Stage 2 SCX10 Courier

OK, call it ADD or something. I totally intended on using the TR body for a while but I just couldn't help it. One of the most fun and coolest rigs I ever built was a K2-3L Courier. Soon after I found another body at our local hobby shop and I bought it. I figured the SCX10 TR platform was worthy of having a Courier on it. The specs are still the same for now with a few minor adjustments. I've stretched the WB a little to 11-7/8" with some Axial aluminum links I had laying around. The front got aluminum steering and the aluminum servo mounts. I also added the Truss to the rear. The body is gonna be plain ol white and it'll get some new tube bumpers and sliders. Not much of a TR anymore!
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looks good man, keep up the build. The white will look sick with those wheels.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
Looks good man, keep up the build. The white will look sick with those wheels.
Thanks! I got it painted last night. I just have to put the stickers on and get some pics.