Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tamiya bronco on scx 10 biuld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Tamiya bronco on scx 10 TR build

Just had to try and fit the Tamiya Bronco on the scx TR . I hated to do it but I had to cut 2 inches off the frame and then the frame seemed the right lenght. I used axial aluminum blue and silver rods to bilud the links to the right lenghth. I used the bumper lights to make the lights work on the Tamiya body and then hooked it through a hpi light control and to a button on my 4pk for a on and off light control. I used the proline shocks at the 95mm setting and I can not believe the difference . Even though it is shorter iit crawls unbelievably well and the shock rate is perfect; since the truck is 2 inches shorter the prolines are a must with the softer spring rate to get the suspension working. The drive shafts had to be cut and there is no binding at all. All the frame crossmembers are removed and I used blue aluminum ones locktited on just a tiny bit loose to give the frame just a little flex as well. I still want a winch and a few other things but for now Iam very impressed with the trucks ability. coming from comp rigs i never thought i would get this stability. The bumpers are lifted on the chassis and the front wheels are wieghted and i run the battery in the rear. Proline shocks are awesome this rig crawls with more control and better over all than when it was longer with the same wheels. Its running a Novak rooster with the 55 turn and a 17t pinion.

Last edited by carver88; 11-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
carver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

oh yhea the wippers are from a hpi cup racer
Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The body looks wicked gloss black, the silver trim pieces really stand out now. Great looking rig and welcome to RCC!
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

great looking rig did you cut it in the front or back ?
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #5

I cut the front and the back. I marked it out carefully and used a hack saw. I took 2/3 of the lenght off of the back. Mainly beacause the rear shock mount moves forward to the exsisting holes in the chassis so the rear wheels end up quite a bit further forward.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Looks nice, love that body and its detail. Props for cutting/hacking up your frame, I was on the fence about this body as well, glad to see it done already, helps with my decision.
nics1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #7

It was a hard decision to cut the frame but once it was done I had to make it work. I will be limited to short bodies but I think this one will stay a bronco.I used a fair bit of wieght in the front tires 7 ounces per tire and then I ran the radio and battery in the rear and this combination makes it stick very well. The proline shocks made the whole thing work i did not like the way it transfered weight with the stock shocks, it was too stiff and not smooth enough for the short lenght.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Damn thats awesome!
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #9

never seen one like this nice going
matt199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #10

Wow you went all out with this one Jeremy lights and all. Like the tires too, but how will it stand up to the full size real thing? Gotta love the lines of the early broncos!
squid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Damn that this is beautiful!!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Very nice! Makes we want to reconsider my build.
nostayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

It looks great. Do you have any body off pics?? I have the same body and want to do the same thing.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #14

Default Frame chop and link dimensions?

Awesome Bronco! I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I'm building a bronco as well. I do have a few questions for you (I'm a newb and I didn't really think about the frame to body length ratio). How much did you shave off of the frame? How long are your links now? Do you have any hind sight tips?

Chris
Grabby544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78tord View Post
It looks great. Do you have any body off pics?? I have the same body and want to do the same thing.
I am away for the weekend but I will put up some body off pics once I get back early next week.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabby544 View Post
Awesome Bronco! I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I'm building a bronco as well. I do have a few questions for you (I'm a newb and I didn't really think about the frame to body length ratio). How much did you shave off of the frame? How long are your links now? Do you have any hind sight tips?

Chris
I took two inches off the frame roughly 1.5 off the back and 1/2 off the front. I suggest you line the body up first and match the travel into the wells so that you can have a functional suspension alignment after you cut the frame. I will have to measure the links ,do not forget to cut the drive shafts or they will be too tight and limit your travel in your springs. I would not change a thing the approach angle from the front and rear is almost strait up and down so it no longer gets stuck on the bumpers when trying to go strait up. Also purely by accident the geometry with the suspension causes the rear to lift under load you can actually watch the rear end lift and force the front end down even when the truck is sitting on its rear bumper and there is absolutely zero torque twist. I believe that the extremely short rear drive train is causing the torque to transfer as lift rather than twist but whatever it is the vertical climb is far beyond what I ever thought the TR could ever achieve.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #17

Default reply

Thanks man!! Wow, zero torque twist? And you didn't even have to reverse build the tranny? awesome! My AX-10 twists something aweful... still waiting on some upgrades on that one as well... damn postal system!

I'll definitely be referencing back to this post during my build! Now if the post office could HURRY UP!

Chris
Grabby544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Hey Big78..I can see your wife rolling that right now!!! but that's why we build em....

Good looking rig. I have found that running the battery in the back makes the truck want to flip when climbing..do you have that as well???

I am very supprised how the SCX's climb...even with 1.9's they stay up with my 2.2.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Hey Big78..I can see your wife rolling that right now!!! but that's why we build em....

Good looking rig. I have found that running the battery in the back makes the truck want to flip when climbing..do you have that as well???

I am very supprised how the SCX's climb...even with 1.9's they stay up with my 2.2.
Actually the truck would not reverse well without the battery wieght in the rear, it was constantly lifting the rear wheels and now it has just enough wieght to reverse up inclines without lifting. I also noticed that with the very short rear frame the battery seems to balance the truck out as it sits close to the rear axel. I am also running 7 ounces per wheel in the front wheels so a little wieght in the back is maybe not as noticable as it may be for others. It is only a 1800 lipo so it is not that heavy. Like I had mentioned above the rear suspension actually lifts under load on steep inclines so the little extra weight seems to add traction in my case. Everyone will probably have a different suspension geometry,shocks and weight distribution but this works very well with this setup. I started with the battery in the front and would not go back to it with this setup . I went 2.2 wheels to get a steeper aproach angle since I found my bumper caught alot on head on aproaches, also if I actually had the real truck it would be lifted with nice wheels.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Deep, glossy black. That looks excellent.

It would look even better with some 1.9's, but thats just my opinion.

Tamiya's early Bronco looks way more detailed than the HPI version I've had in the past. Are they the same dimensions?

It'd be nice if these were a bit smaller...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote