Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Installing a Hand brothers kit on a TR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Installing a Hand brothers kit on a TR?

I plan on installing a Hand Brothers kit on my TR. Looking for options for the steering link. By the time you buy the Axial parts to convert the plastic TR stering link over to the kit grey link, you have about $50.00 in the front steering linkage before buying the Hand Brothers kit. For those of you that installed the Hnad Brothers Kit on your TR, what did you use for links? I figure I can use some Traxxas links for some of the stuff but the angled steering tie rod ends are the problem.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hand brothers will have an add on kit for the TR soon.
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered this for my tr http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUUX2
wally101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally101 View Post

will that (short) steering link work with the Hand Brothers kit??
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
will that (short) steering link work with the Hand Brothers kit??
No, you will not use it w/the kit.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-buck View Post
No, you will not use it w/the kit.
if i buy this hand brothers kit what else would i need to buy 2 make it work?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
if i buy this hand brothers kit what else would i need to buy 2 make it work?
To make the Hand Brothers CMS kit work on the TR you will need part# axa 1429.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Its such a pain in the butt installing the hand bros kit on the tr. With the lack of good instructions and trying to find all the parts you need to do it its a real headache
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-buck View Post
To make the Hand Brothers CMS kit work on the TR you will need part# axa 1429.
And an AX8005 parts tree, AX80018 parts tree, AX80032 parts tree, AXA186 M3x16mm Black Oxide set screws (bag is 10 pieces, will use , AX30516 6x106mm Grey Aluminum Pipe, AXA667 M3x15mm Binder Head Screws, AXA670 M3x25mm Binder Head Screws, and M3 Nylon Locking Hex Nuts. Total price form Tower hobbies is just over 50.00 (that is if you use the Axial screws and don't have any of the extra parts lying around).
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
Its such a pain in the butt installing the hand bros kit on the tr. With the lack of good instructions and trying to find all the parts you need to do it its a real headache

Did you use the link in the CMS kit?? Just make it look like the pics
Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

The tr doesn't come with aluminum links so you have to buy everything that comes on the scx10 kit to get it to work
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
The tr doesn't come with aluminum links so you have to buy everything that comes on the scx10 kit to get it to work

The only extra things needed is the axial part#1429 this will give you the 2 aluminum links for the panhard and tie rod. then 6 3mm studs to assemble the upper link,tie rod and panhard bar. the original lower links and long tie rod can be reused.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler View Post
The only extra things needed is the axial part#1429 this will give you the 2 aluminum links for the panhard and tie rod. then 6 3mm studs to assemble the upper link,tie rod and panhard bar. the original lower links and long tie rod can be reused.
miniwheeler. All the links are plastic and the tie rod is a one piece plastic limp noddle. What I listed is what is needed
Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
miniwheeler. All the links are plastic and the tie rod is a one piece plastic limp noddle. What I listed is what is needed
So if you need that get the angled rod ends and a 106mm link and the parts he recommended or make yourself one.

I can't believe people are complaining about the Hand Bros kit. It is one of the best made and coolest kits available in all of RC Crawling. Heaven for forbid you have to make something yourself or buy something off the shelf to make it work.

And yes, I just put one on my boys TR yesterday. The rod ends I had laying around from another kit and the links were made for about 50 cents.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
So if you need that get the angled rod ends and a 106mm link and the parts he recommended or make yourself one.

I can't believe people are complaining about the Hand Bros kit. It is one of the best made and coolest kits available in all of RC Crawling. Heaven for forbid you have to make something yourself or buy something off the shelf to make it work.

And yes, I just put one on my boys TR yesterday. The rod ends I had laying around from another kit and the links were made for about 50 cents.
Wait...we can make our own stuff . Whatever will we spend our money on .
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post

Yes I understand but the steering kit will still setup with proper geometry. what you listed is the best way to do it
Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE= I figure I can use some Traxxas links for some of the stuff but the angled steering tie rod ends are the problem.[/QUOTE]

The kit has 5 traxxas ends 2 for the panhard and 2 for the tie rod(or draglink) 1 for the upper link to the axle. The later kits also have 1 traxxas short end for the frame side of the upper link or if you have the SCX you can use 1 of the original axial short ends for the frame side. the angled steering ends are not used.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post

Zack, I'm not complaining. Just trying to make my TR comp worthy. I picked up an AX -10 Scorpion RTR Hardware Upgrade Kit today which should give me all of the extra bits I need other than the three tubes for the conversion. I still have to make the tubes. Heading to the LHS tomorrow for more parts.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

holly $hit man all this looks like 2 much confusion n work just 2 have servo mounted up there instead of on the axle... i dnt have the patients 2 work w/ this, if it was all bolt on 100% ready 2 go i would of done it. i dnt see why Hand Brothers didnt make it a bolt on ready 2 go kit. turn this guys hand upside down -->
Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
holly $hit man all this looks like 2 much confusion n work just 2 have servo mounted up there instead of on the axle... i dnt have the patients 2 work w/ this, if it was all bolt on 100% ready 2 go i would of done it. i dnt see why Hand Brothers didnt make it a bolt on ready 2 go kit. turn this guys hand upside down -->
It is bolt on and ready to go if you have a SCX-10 kit with the aluminum links. We are talking about installing one on a SCX-10 TR (ready to run with one piece plastic links) which requires more parts. Rumor has it (posted earlier in the thread) that Hand Brothers will be coming out with a kit that has the extra parts to make the TR installation easier (meaning not having th chase parts/raid the parts box) to install it. However, since I want it NOW , I am paying for the privilege

Last edited by GP40X; 11-22-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: I can actually spell, really I can, just can't type worth a d@**