Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: water proofing scx10 tr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default water proofing scx10 tr

so im planning on getting a axial scx10 tr and was just wondering how hard is it to waterproof this rig, i was planning on using a tupperware lock box the one with the locking sides. was wondering if there was anyplace to mount the box or is there a water proof esc with drag brake out there that i could get instead. im kinda worried about overheating the esc if it is in the box, anybody have any opinions or pointers on this?
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

I have a tr and i was wondering the same thing, i have tought about putting everything in a box too, but i'm scared it'll get too hot in there :?
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys,

I have a scx10, had it about a year now. I ran a waterproof traxxas esc and it worked beautifully. It doesn't have the drag brake feature though. I will say I have a tekin fxr now and it does fine inside a balloon (neck of balloon filled with silicone) inside a plastic box (not sealed just to keep balloons intact). that setup has worked fine for me for many many runs. I haven't noticed it getting very hot ever. That being said, I run an 8.4v 7 cell NiMH battery so more wild setups will no doubt bring more heat. Hope this helps...

also if you haven't stumbled upon this thread it will help you a lot:

Water Proofing Electronics

probably the most troublesome thing to waterproof IMO was the servo you have to be very careful of the boot where the wires exit the servo, the seam of the case and use an o-ring with lots of grease under the horn.

One other thing that I noticed: do yourself a favor and pack the axles and transmisson with grease (I just used cheap automotive grease $2). I think it does wonders for preserving the life of your gears and such inside these housings, plus if they are packed little water can make it inside. Do ask around the forums to see what other think before doing this though...

have fun, these trucks are beast.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote