Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Unlocked Front Diff??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Unlocked Front Diff??

I am thinking of building my first scaler and was thinking of using a SCX or AX 10. I read that the RTR comes with the front diff unlocked. I am going to want to run the truck in all kinds of different terrains and not just crawl with it. I would like a little speed out of it, some trail running, beach stuff, crawling, you name it. I was thinking that if I leave the front diff unlocked it would better handled the speed. Does that makes sense?
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

The scx-10 tr is locked front and rear. You will like the speed with the stock motor though. I am moving to a 45-55 turn to get rid of that speed.
Breatholdiveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by notez2beat View Post
I am thinking of building my first scaler and was thinking of using a SCX or AX 10. I read that the RTR comes with the front diff unlocked. I am going to want to run the truck in all kinds of different terrains and not just crawl with it. I would like a little speed out of it, some trail running, beach stuff, crawling, you name it. I was thinking that if I leave the front diff unlocked it would better handled the speed. Does that makes sense?
yea it would deff help 2 handle better with diffs unlocked at high speed but like he ^^^ said their both locked.
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Get the kit! your going to have to replace the electronics anyawys
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I doubt there will be any aftermarket parts to unlock the diffs. There simply isn't enough space in the diff. Now if someone finds a kit to replace the stock locked diffs I would love to get it, but until then, it's a great crawler!
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoK5Driver View Post
I doubt there will be any aftermarket parts to unlock the diffs. There simply isn't enough space in the diff. Now if someone finds a kit to replace the stock locked diffs I would love to get it, but until then, it's a great crawler!
Axial sells the Differentials. The AX10 has the same axles as the SCX10. I own a AX10 RTR and it came with a unlocked front axle (diff) and you had the option to either lock it or leave it unlocked.

You can buy the gears here and many other stores

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Dif...0-p-17547.html
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You will really only notice the unlocked front diff in high speed turns. But, you will hate how it climbs with out the locked front diff. Having both locked will help tons in sand and trail running, and is a must for any crawling. The RTR does come with the parts to lock the front end.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the info, I really just don't know what to do now. Maybe I can try it unlocked and if I don't like it lock them or vice versa. Guess I will just keep reading and then try it out.
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, I really just don't know what to do now. Maybe I can try it unlocked and if I don't like it lock them or vice versa. Guess I will just keep reading and then try it out.
It's easier than you think to lock and unlock them. try both and see what you like.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

if you order the wheelie king open diff gear set it fits into the scx and ax10 diffs
4x4yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

axial part numbers are ax30170 for the shafts and ax30390 (one per axle that you want to run an open diff on). ax30170 is enough for both axles. i've tried running a scaler with open diffs before (pajero) and frankly cannot remember why i bought the parts to run open diffs on the scx10.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Keep it real

Like already mentioned, it will really cut down on the capability of the rig if you unlock the front. Even at high speeds, it's not noticeable, unless you're running on pavement with a Very fast setup, which won't work for the rest of what you want to do. But, go ahead and try it to see for yourself, half the fun is experimenting.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote