Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: does the scx10 tr have a drag brake or somethin like that?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default does the scx10 tr have a drag brake or somethin like that?

i plan on installing a motor capable of 25-30 mph just for fun and was wondering if the scx10tr had a sort of drag brake or something like that 2 help not let it roll around frely while crawling.

my point gettin 2 if i put a motor that fast n let off the throttle will it like slam into drag/breake??

thanks!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

No, the drag brake is all in the ESC. I doubt the rtr esc has a drag brake.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
No, the drag brake is all in the ESC. I doubt the rtr esc has a drag brake.
Well if not drag brake does it have some other drag system on the car to not let it freely roll while crawling?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

No kind of drag brake at all. If you want that then buy an esc with a drag brake. The cheapest one is probably a rooster crawler esc in the for sale section here. I read 2 listed yesterday.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ohh ok. so i wana mainly focus on slow crawling i should deff. have a esc w/ drag brake?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the axial ae-1 esc have brakes? It's not going to be a super crawler quality esc, but it's more than adequate for a backyarder. At $35 on amazon it's a pretty cheap esc and can handle a 15t motor. Quite a bit of bang for your buck IMO.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Yes, The stock electronics are not worthy of this truck IMO and Axial should sell better stuff with there RTR's

If your looking for a good ESC & motor you should get the Novak Rooster Crawler ESC (Has a drag break) and a 45T or 55T Motor.

Im sure they put the lower end electronics in the RTRs to keep the price down
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Why pay for electronics that will just be replaced anyways? I never understood this argument. Other companies sell RTR electronics that never need to be replaced and at a fair price.

RC4WD has a good and cheap ESC that has a drag brake and is a perfect example of what should/could be sold with Axials RTR.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=795
well reason i wana buy rtr is so i can have the scale body already painted w/ bumpers n light kit. if i bought the scx10 kit i would needa buy body, bumpers, lights. id rather pay the 50 bucks more n skip the hassle. the kit only comes w/ alum. links which i really dnt care about except the 1 4 the steering.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #9

I recently got an AX10 Scorpion RTR and I have to agree, the elec's in this suck. After cutting the foams and adding weight to the tires the servo hardly moves. It is supposed to be a HIGH TORQUE servo, hell a cockroaches fart has more power. The ESC is no better, especially in the cold. I wouldn't suggest the RTR or RTC for anyone due to the elec's.
KILLERKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The axial ae-1 esc has 150a braking voltage and i picked on up off amazon for like 35. it'll handle 5-10 cells and down to a 15t motor. Not too shabby for a basic esc with reverse. Yes the rooster crawler is better, but it is at least twice the price. If you are gonna do backyard crawling the ae-1 is more than enough for your needs IMO.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I actually have a TR and the AE-1 speed controller just needs a CC BEC. The Axial AE-1 does not have a drag brake per-se, but it does have a "Hold Brake". What it does is if you are on a downhill run, you can hit and release the brake and it will hold/drag. As soon as you give a little forward throttle, it will coast again. If you back up as soon as you let off, the brake holds until you move forward or reverse again. Also it resets itself on every power up (you hear 3 beeps) so keep your throttle trim at 0 and your end points at 100% (it is not adjustable) Here is the instruction sheet from the Axial site: http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...1_AE-1_ESC.pdf

This thing is rated for 5 to 10 cells but take my advice and get a Castle BEC. First test at Mikes Hobby Shop's new indoor crawler course (lots of loose rocks for wheels to hang up in) caused repeated stalls as the AE-1 ESC only has a 5V/1A internal BEC. As soon as I picked up the truck, it started working again. Once I installed the Castle BEC, no more stalls and the truck was able to power out of all situations where the tires could still get a bite except for once (I got it wedged really tight and the slipper kicked in). It really is a decent ESC on par with most $40 to $50 ESCs. One pet peeve is that my TR did not come with any instructions for the ESC. The AS-2 metal gear servo is also decent as it has about 90 oz of torque. The main issue is it pulls too many amps in a bind so you need a BEC.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
I actually have a TR and the AE-1 speed controller just needs a CC BEC. The Axial AE-1 does not have a drag brake per-se, but it does have a "Hold Brake". What it does is if you are on a downhill run, you can hit and release the brake and it will hold/drag. As soon as you give a little forward throttle, it will coast again. If you back up as soon as you let off, the brake holds until you move forward or reverse again. Also it resets itself on every power up (you hear 3 beeps) so keep your throttle trim at 0 and your end points at 100% (it is not adjustable) Here is the instruction sheet from the Axial site: http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...1_AE-1_ESC.pdf
The AE-1 doesn't have a "Hold" brake. It's just a cheapo ESC like any other RTR vehicle...nothing special.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
The AE-1 doesn't have a "Hold" brake. It's just a cheapo ESC like any other RTR vehicle...nothing special.
Hmmm, when I am going down a steep hill and go full brake, I can then let off the brake, set the radio down and go do something else for a few minutes and the truck just sits on the side of the hill with the brake locked until I come back and pick up the radio and give it a little forward or reverse throttle to move the truck. I have never seen an ESC do that before and I call that a hold brake. Didn't say it was anything special and it does need a BEC to be even close to trail worthy. It is not comp worthy but will get the job done if you put a BEC on it. You notice I said it is on par with most $40 to $50 ESCs. Most of them are not comp worthy either. I gave my personal experience with my AE-1 speed controller in MY TR!
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I agree. I haven't seen any kind of "hold" brake function on mine. The steering is greatly improved with the cc bec but you are still limited by the esc. IMO, replace the esc w/ a Rooster crawler, FXR, or really anything in your budget that has the braking features: i.e. "hold or drake" brakes. I still recommend using the bec with any esc. The bec gives out 10amps where as most of the esc's w/ a built in bec still only offer 5amp output.
KILLERKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote