Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 RTR/TR Speed Control Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Default SCX-10 RTR/TR Speed Control Question

The ESC that comes with the RTR/TR does not have "drag braking"...I believe thats what I've read here on the forums. I do not own this rig....yet....so I was wondering how you guys "brake" when descend steep terrain? How does the stock ESC work for crawling? Do you just apply some light "reverse" to the throttle? Does the rig just free-wheel?
Sorry for the noob question, but I've been absent from the RC hobby for about 15yrs. My last elec. RC was the Tamiya Blackfoot with a mechanical speed control...remember those LOL.
Im sure you guys can provide some insight for me.

P.S. I know I can always add an ESC with drag brake down the road.
Banshee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You should probably just get a good esc now. The stock axial ones don't last long. I don't have a drag brake on my cc-01 and it's not very fun to crawl with.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

you are correct, no drag brake, if your careful, you can apply light reverse to hold your truck in one place, it just takes a little practice. without that, it will roll pretty easy. You will soon grow tired of doing that and upgrade to a crawler ESC.
truckman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Banshee I recomend u get the new scx10 hancho one it's cheeper n comes with aluminum links but no crappy electronics it's a artr but worth it cuz ur gona change out the rtr electronics anyways. I was in ur same shoes couple days ago n best bet is 2 get the new scx and add ur own electronics. Novak has a nice crawler rooster esc w/ drag brake and I believe rc4wd has a really inexpensive crawler esc/bec for like 40-50 bux!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I actually have the TR and it has a strange little critter for a speed controller. The Axial AE-1 does not have a drag brake per-se, but it does have a "Hold Brake". What it does is if you are on a downhill run, you can hit and release the brake and it will hold/drag. As soon as you give a little forward throttle, it will coast again. If you back up as soon as you let off, the brake holds until you move forward or reverse again. Also it resets itself on every power up (you hear 3 beeps) so keep your throttle trim at 0 and your end points at 100% (it is not adjustable) Here is the instruction sheet from the Axial site: http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...1_AE-1_ESC.pdf

Note that this thing is rated for 5 to 10 cells but take my advice, get a Castle BEC (you will need it anyway for any replacement ESC you get unless you get a HH TorqueMaster BR-XL ESC). First test at Mikes Hobby Shop's new indoor crawler course (lots of loose rocks for wheels to hang up in) caused repeated stalls as the AE-1 ESC only has a 5V/1A internal BEC. Once I installed the Castle BEC, no more stalls and the truck was able to power out of all situations where the tires could still get a bite except for once (I got it wedged really tight and the slipper kicked in). It really is a decent ESC on par with most $40 to $50 ESCs. One pet peeve is that my TR did not come with any instructions for the ESC and I still haven't found anyone who knows the specs for the AS-2 metal gear servo. So far no problems with the servo either once I installed the BEC.

Now the radio? in this kit is definately low RTR grade and should be changed at the first opportunity. If you do get a TR plan on installing a good radio.

Now that being said, if you can hold out, as someone who has a TR, take my advice and get the Honcho kit when it comes out if you want to do more than just bash. Not knocking the TR, it is a good basher RTR setup for the most part but if I had known about the new Honcho Kit I would have waited and purchased that.

Last edited by GP40X; 11-26-2009 at 01:51 PM.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have a dynamite exc in my tr it doesnt have drag brake but what i do is "dial" some in using my trim on the tx. Descended a steep hill today no problem. Also most brushed motors will have a natural drag to them.
dezslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

just put a big block v8 in it fuk it
Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was almost ready to drop the hammer on the new TR but you guys got me thinking now. I already have an XTM supercrawler with 2 novak 55 esc/motor combos and a Reedy 5000mAh Lipo. I purchased a DX3r radio for that setup and it has left me really bored with the speed of that setup, but im covered electronic wise for another crawler/racer and I'm ready to part it out and go scale with one of these newer trucks.

What Im looking for now is wheel speed.
Can I use a 27t motor with my Novak crawler esc and a stock geared SCX10 and achieve trail driving speed?

By the way, What ever happend to the SCX10 with the blazer style body Ive seen in the magazines?
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlwevl View Post
I was almost ready to drop the hammer on the new TR but you guys got me thinking now. I already have an XTM supercrawler with 2 novak 55 esc/motor combos and a Reedy 5000mAh Lipo. I purchased a DX3r radio for that setup and it has left me really bored with the speed of that setup, but im covered electronic wise for another crawler/racer and I'm ready to part it out and go scale with one of these newer trucks.

What Im looking for now is wheel speed.
Can I use a 27t motor with my Novak crawler esc and a stock geared SCX10 and achieve trail driving speed?

By the way, What ever happend to the SCX10 with the blazer style body Ive seen in the magazines?
yes it will handle a 27t motor the TR comes w/ a 27t as well. the novak crawler esc the newest 1 available is limited to 12t and slower.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #10

Guys....what would be the price be (roughly) for the new Honcho kit + required decent electronics. I can get the RTR for $300.00 plus a couple of cheap batteries & be ready to go for under $360.00.

After reading many posts I know most of you upgrade your electronics. I think I was looking for a platform just to get running & upgrade with the more I learn about scale crawling. I would really enjoy building my rig as opposed to just taking out of the box already done. But the TR comes already assembled. If I go the Honcho route it would take me longer to save up the dough for all the required electronics. I guess thats a decision I would have to make.

Thanks for all the advice guys.....I guess my hope was to buy the RTR just to get started for $$$ reasons.
Banshee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict

At 275 for the honcho kit there is no reason you couldn't score everything else used for under 360 total. Although I would increase the budget to 400 so you can get all quality electronics.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote