Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: buying a scx10 tr...what else will i need.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Default buying a scx10 tr...what else will i need.

been reading and researching different things on here for a couple of months now. getting ready to buy a scx10 tr, and have found ALOT of info on here on just about anything while doing my research, except for the super-simple ?'s i have. i want to know if the truck comes assembled(my understanding is that the kits dont, but the TR does). also, along with the TR, i'm also looking at the Duratrax oynx 220 battery charger, and 2 NiMh 7.2v dtx4600 battery sticks. are these fine, or would there be something better for about the same price....and is there anything else i will need(besides batteries for the radio)? i am also wanting opinions on a drag-brake/esc, dont need nothing high dollar, just something to keep it from rolling down hills and to control a nice, slow crawl.

Last edited by cydewaze; 11-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you got it figured out. The TR does come assembled, and you'll just need the batteries for the radio and the charger and the stick pack. As far as the esc goes, a Novak Goat would probably be the best bet if you plan on sticking with standard Nimh packs.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out. The TR does come assembled, and you'll just need the batteries for the radio and the charger and the stick pack. As far as the esc goes, a Novak Goat would probably be the best bet if you plan on sticking with standard Nimh packs.
ok, since i am completely stupid at this and the only r/c i've ever had was a jato 3.3(sold it because it was too fast, and basically uselss for anything but straight lines across parking lots)...are these drag brakes/esc's "plug and play", or do they require some type of programming/cystal for the radio or what? and is the novak rooster comparable to the goat? i found a combo with the rooster and a 45t motor...does the stock 27t motor need upgrading, or is it plenty strong?
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My bad, I confused the Goat for the Rooster. The Goat is the brushless ESC, the Rooster is the brushed version. The Rooster is pretty much plug and play. The 27t has some decent speed to it, but maybe not enough torque. A 35t or 45t motor might be what you are looking for, but if you'd on a budget, just stick with the 27t and see how you like it.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

In my opinion, buy the kit. If you plan on getting semi serious about rc, your gonna end up buying all new electronics and stuff. Not to mention the fact that with the kit you build it your self, so you know EVERYTHING about your rig.

As far as the charger goes, i would spend 20 more bucks and get the Great Planes Trition Jr. It has Lipo and pb charging capabilities and is MUCH more user friendly than the duratrax.

And as far as those batteries go, You could buy a Commonsense 5200 Lipo for 119. And it would double the run time of BOTH of those packs. My commonsense gives me 1.5 hours of run time...

Either way Welcome to the rc world!!!
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote