Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My SCX10 just arrived this morning ! Question ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
riz
Quarry Creeper

Default My SCX10 just arrived this morning ! Question ...

I have the money for a Hand Brothers steering kit but is it worth it? What are the benefits? If it's justified to get one I'd like to put it on as I'm putting the kit together instead of going back and redoing things later on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RIZ

Last edited by riz; 11-28-2009 at 09:07 AM.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Built, not bought

In my opinion,it's worth it.Top notch design and machining.
Great thought on doing it once (as you build).
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would go ahead and get it. Adds a scale look, and its an excellent product.
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

awsome product and in my opinion a scx10 isnt a scaler w/o it.

im really surprised that axial didnt release the sxc10 chassis w/ frame mounted steering.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
riz
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good but what are the benefits other than looking more realistic?

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Sounds good but what are the benefits other than looking more realistic?

RIZ
it frees up the right front of the chassis that would be used up by the axle mounted servo on compression for a smallish battery pack
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

you can do it yourself with just a piece of aluminum a drill and the provided hardware on the kit... it will take you like 15 minutes... but if you have the money to spend... then go ahead, you will be spending the money just for looks.. cuz you can make a functional one for just $5.00..

Last edited by eortizr; 11-30-2009 at 08:04 PM.
eortizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
you can do it yourself with just a piece of aluminum a drill and the provided hardware on the kit... it will take you like 15 minutes... but if you have the money to spend... then go ahead, you will be spending the money just for looks.. cuz you can make a functional one for just $5.00..
do you have any pics of yours that you made for 5 bucks? lets see it
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeaaa +1 on the pics 4 the custom mount!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #10

eortizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
I have the money for a Hand Brothers steering kit but is it worth it? What are the benefits? If it's justified to get one I'd like to put it on as I'm putting the kit together instead of going back and redoing things later on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RIZ
It doesn't provide any performance benefit, it just looks more realistic.

Here is a nice write up from another member on how to do it yourself:

po' man 3 link conversion for front
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

While functional I will stick with the HBros kit.

One nice thing is the HB kit elminates bump steer. I also think with it that mine articulates better than stock.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
While functional I will stick with the HBros kit.

One nice thing is the HB kit elminates bump steer. I also think with it that mine articulates better than stock.
What bump steer does it eliminate? There is no bump steer at all when the servo is mounted on the axle.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I fall under the category of believing it doesn't add any benefits besides looks. Yes it does look more scale by taking a servo off the axle but I can really see how it would make your wheels turn any better. To be fair though I have never tried it on my own truck.
nics1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

my thoughts on the hb kit is its not worth it i have one on my tracker and didnt think about one for my honcho

its kool the way it looks but thats it imo
calikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
What bump steer does it eliminate? There is no bump steer at all when the servo is mounted on the axle.
Real simple, the bump steer I encountered with the stock setup. The geometry of the HB kit fixed this. Maybe you never encountered it, but it does exist.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Real simple, the bump steer I encountered with the stock setup. The geometry of the HB kit fixed this. Maybe you never encountered it, but it does exist.

Real simple, LOL. Bump steer happens when the distance from the center of the servo horn to the steering knuckle that the drag link is attached to changes with suspension movement. This distance cannot change when the servo is mounted to the axle. Your "perceived" bump steer with the stock setup does not exist. Basically the axle has to move separately from the servo to have any sort of bump steer at all.

Please explain to me how suspension movement can affect the steering, because that is what bump steer is, when the servo is mounted to the axle. I'll save you some time... it can't.

If mounting the steering servo on the chassis provides any sort of performance improvement over the stock servo on axle setup, why do you suppose that no one runs a chassis mounted servo on a competition rig.

Sometimes poor suspension geometry will fail to keep the axle perpendicular to the chassis during articulation. I believe that this is known as axle steer, but the stock SCX-10 suspension geometry doesn't really have this problem either.

The Hand Brothers kit does look good though, and is a lot more realistic than having the servo on the axle as stated previously in this thread.

Last edited by toybuilder; 12-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

you'll love the mud thrashers!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Real simple, LOL. Bump steer happens when the distance from the center of the servo horn to the steering knuckle that the drag link is attached to changes with suspension movement. This distance cannot change when the servo is mounted to the axle. Your "perceived" bump steer with the stock setup does not exist. Basically the axle has to move separately from the servo to have any sort of bump steer at all.

Please explain to me how suspension movement can affect the steering, because that is what bump steer is, when the servo is mounted to the axle. I'll save you some time... it can't.

If mounting the steering servo on the chassis provides any sort of performance improvement over the stock servo on axle setup, why do you suppose that no one runs a chassis mounted servo on a competition rig.

The Hand Brothers kit does look good though, and is a lot more realistic than having the servo on the axle as stated previously in this thread.
Wow, so something I experienced does not exist.

Bump Steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel.

I did not perceive my wheels turning without my input, it happened.

I would also assume that one major reason comp rigs don't use it is due to COG among other things.

So tell me this, why do people install pan hard setups in 1:1 vehicles if they don't have any effect on the whole suspension?

And this directly from the MSD website:

Quote:
MSD is proud to release the brand new Hand Bros Off Road SCX-10 Chassis mounted steering kit! This IS the one piece for your SCX-10 kit that you will NEED to have.

Features of the kit are:

* Mounts the steering servo on chassis for a more scale looking and working steering setup.
* Changes front suspension to a true 3-link with panhard for almost zero bump steer.
* All parts cut from T-6 aluminum and black anodized for good looks and corrosion resistance.
* Servo mount locks into the frame rail and axle the bracket bolts on with 4 screws for a bomb proof installation.

Last edited by TexasSP; 12-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Bump Steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel.:

This is true, but you are leaving out one important part......

Bump steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel......like you said......but it happens when the suspension is moving up and down.

As the suspension moves up and down, the steering arm moves with it, but in an arc. Since the arm is rigid, and the servo is mounted independent of the axle, it exerts force on your steering knuckle and causes the wheels to turn.

When the servo is on the axle, it moves with the axle so it does not exert force on the knuckles as the suspension cycles......it's going along for the ride with the suspension.

I have no doubt you experienced your wheels moving without input from your radio, but it wasn't bump steer......not if your servo was mounted to your axle.

The MSD quote is correct, but I feel it's a bit misleading. It is possible to build a steering system with very little to no bump steer, but the HB kit does not eliminate bump steer from an axle mounted servo setup, since there is none to eliminate.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote