Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Trail Honcho kit motor / esc combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Trail Honcho kit motor / esc combo

I'm thinking of pre-ordering this kit w/ the honcho body. This rig would be my first scale RC. I was wondering what you guys thought of the Novak Rooster Crawler/55T Motor Combo. It can be had for $109.99 from Tower. I read that some guys are runnin' like 35t motors. So I was wondering about this combo having a 55t motor. Is the 55t motor more for comp crawling or scale crawling? I'm looking for a simple install & something that just works good for all around crawling / woods driving.
Does anyone have experience with the drag braking with this setup? Is it ample?
For the future I'll probably stay with a brushed setup & not make the leap to LiPo's
I'm looking for a good beginners starting point with the motor / esc because I need to keep the price down, but I dont want something Im not happy with either.
Unfortunatly I can only learn from what I read here on the boards, not much happening with the RC crawler scene around where I live. My LHS is more into slot cars & model trains.

thanks for dealing with my newbie questions.
Banshee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

hi .
the novak rooster is a realy good esc but you will find that a 55 turn motor is a tad to slow but a 35 turn motor is good for speed and torque , the drag brakes are verry good .
smedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #3

Ohh....another question. What do you all think of using the radio / receiver / servo from a Traxxas T-Maxx. The setup I have is the stock Traxxas 27Mhz AM radio & stock T-Maxx servo & receiver. I was thinking the T-Maxx servo is strong enough for that big truck its should be strong enough for the SCX scaler. What do you guys think? The radio is three channel, but, I would just need two obviously.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee800 View Post
Ohh....another question. What do you all think of using the radio / receiver / servo from a Traxxas T-Maxx. The setup I have is the stock Traxxas 27Mhz AM radio & stock T-Maxx servo & receiver. I was thinking the T-Maxx servo is strong enough for that big truck its should be strong enough for the SCX scaler. What do you guys think? The radio is three channel, but, I would just need two obviously.
all that would work just fine, only thing is the servo might be underpowered in some rocky situations when ur in holes or tight spots with pressure on the front wheels. but radio n reciever will work no problem!

also the novak rooster crawler is prob the best brushed esc 2 go with, n i would stick with the 35t motor. 55 is way 2 slow.
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #5

what brand / kind 35t brushed motor you recommend?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

im running a castle sidewinder and a integy 35t on 3s and its perfect for a scaler
calikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

a good brand of motor is yokomo 35 turn drift motor , i run them in my 2 scx10 scalers and had them submerged in mud and they still work fine
smedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

BTW FYI the novak rooster crawler is only limited 2 2s lipo. which kinda sux cus ud want a 3s so u can get some speed out of the scale truck 2. umm ima look up the mamba esc n check if it has dragbrake, cuz i kno mamba can handle 3s
Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

""it is completely Castle Link™ compatible too – drivers can use their Castle Link and Windows PC to tune and tweak all their favorite settings such as brake and throttle curves, throttle response, ***drag brake*** and many other parameters that add up to an incredible RC driving experience.""

price- around 80-90 same price as novak rooster. but this mamba esc also runs brushless(unsensored tho not good 4 slow crawling)

WAIT! found this https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...cs&pn=CCMM7701 69.99 4 this esc!!!!

i think ima b goin with this mamba esc 4 my trail honcho!

Last edited by yellowpasta2000; 11-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #10

yea..I checked out Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC & it supports Brushed & Brushless Motors, pretty cool! And your correct about the castle-USB hookup to PC. At $90.00 ....check that...I mean $70.00 @ Stormer Hobbies.......its less than the Novak Rooster. I may have to re-think what ESC I'm gonna go with.

Last edited by Banshee800; 11-28-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
yea..I checked out Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC & it supports Brushed & Brushless Motors, pretty cool! And your correct about the castle-USB hookup to PC. At $90.00 ....check that...I mean $70.00 @ Stormer Hobbies.......its less than the Novak Rooster. I may have to re-think what ESC I'm gonna go with.
deff. go with the mamba sidewinder, i mean y wouldent u??? im in ur same shoes buying the hancho n electronics n doin my reasearch n shopping 2 n the sidewinders better hands down, it has drag brake supports 3s lipo where novak doesnt, its programable w/computer, does BL, OOHH $HITT but wait does it have a lipo cut-off??? oohhohh theres a prob here lol ima b running lipo n i deff. want a cutoff. well if it doesnt have 1 then i guess i can use novaks external cutoff.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

YAY it does have a lipo cut-off!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I am also pre-ordering the new Axial.

I am thinking it over and researching still, but i am considering strongly the Tekin FXR/35t combo..not"pro" version.

One reason is that it is very small and I am pretty sure I read on here somewhere that it will fit in the axial electronics box along with a reciever.

I figure I can pretty much seal up this box once everything is in it just in case the rig gets a little wet I won't have to worry as much. I do not intend to submerge the thing but going through a reasonable water hole would be cool.
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
what brand / kind 35t brushed motor you recommend?
Tekin Pro HAND WOUND 35T with a 20T pinion. Trust me, it's worth the extra $20
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #15

Im not sure how much drag brake affects the scale rigs. Im just doing my own research on what to buy for the guts of my soon preordered new SCX10. I have both a Sidewinder and a Novak crawler in comp rigs and I can tell you the Cralwer has a MUCH better drag brake than the Sidewinder.
nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrdun View Post
Im not sure how much drag brake affects the scale rigs. Im just doing my own research on what to buy for the guts of my soon preordered new SCX10. I have both a Sidewinder and a Novak crawler in comp rigs and I can tell you the Cralwer has a MUCH better drag brake than the Sidewinder.
educate us on the drag brakes between them both. What does the novaks drag brake do that makes it better then the sidewinder? And which one do u like and prefer in a scale rig?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have no experience with the sidewinder at all but I have the rooster crawler on my AX10. The drag brake on it works great. No matter the incline......no roll what so ever. I can control my rig very precisely.

The Rooster Crawler is on my list of ESC's to consider for the "Trail Honcho" but, it is bigger than the FXR and I am not sure if it would fit in the electronics box with a reciever.

I would have to wrap it up in a balloon or something to protect it on those wet runs.
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #18

From what I'm reading most of you are using the 35t motors as opposed to 45t or 55t. I'm assuming the 35t is a good combination of torque & wheelspeed.
Anyone using the Tekin FXR ESC? I was wondering how is the drag brake?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I use it, after many months of reading to many posts on the damned website. And it is awesome. Just enough speed on 3s to be fun to drive still, and buttery smooth operation while crawling. The drag brake is variable from 0-100% and is sweet. I use it all the time on my scaler too. Its kinda fun to watch a SCX to a stoppie and bring the back end off the ground.

Definately the best system out there. It will be going in my next rigs, all of them, hands down, no questions asked. Lots of fun on 3s, and that's all I run it on.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
educate us on the drag brakes between them both. What does the novaks drag brake do that makes it better then the sidewinder? And which one do u like and prefer in a scale rig?

Thanks!
Well, like I said, I've yet to run one in a scale rig but with my AX10 based comp rig, on steep descents I would have to feather reverse to keep it slowed down with the Sidewinder. With the Novak, it had much better braking in neutral. It would hold lines much better while descending. Keep in mind a comp craawler has much more rotating mass and weighs more which will amplify the effects of a less powerful brake. On a scale rig they may both be completely sufficient.
nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote