Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Trans question (speed related)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default SCX10 Trans question (speed related)

Anyone know what the ratio for the SCX10 trans is? Im thinking of getting one in the spring, but Im not really into crawling. Here's a really brief background...I've got a Stampede and a Wheely King. Both are nearly stock with the exception of motors (an old Trinity Midnight II and a brand new Trinity CO27). The 'Pede is just barely fast enough for me (CO27), the Wheely King (Midnight II) could be a little faster, but with the 4wd, it's still fun.

Here's what Im looking for...a truck thats about as fast as my 'Pede, 4wd, and scale looking. I want to have a Pre-runner style when Im done (something like Bender's SCX10). I also dont have nearly the budget for brushless, so Im going with what I have (and possibly throw a 2s lipo into the mix before summer)

I guess my big question is, with the right pinion/spur combo, could the SCX10 run the same speed as my 'Pede with the same motor? I would transplant the CO27 into the SCX. Like I said, I dont crawl, so I dont need the 35T or 55T torque, the 21 degrees of timing on the 27T makes plenty of torque for how I drive.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Maybe the hardened over-drive gear set would help with the over all speed. Cant remember the tooth count for them, should be on the Axial site
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't see it being feasable to get similar speeds with the same motor. The transmission's are close in ratio, so with the scx10 you would still have the reduction(2.9:1) in the axles to overcome.

More voltage or faster motor is going to be needed.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by devestator_x View Post
Anyone know what the ratio for the SCX10 trans is? Im thinking of getting one in the spring, but Im not really into crawling. Here's a really brief background...I've got a Stampede and a Wheely King. Both are nearly stock with the exception of motors (an old Trinity Midnight II and a brand new Trinity CO27). The 'Pede is just barely fast enough for me (CO27), the Wheely King (Midnight II) could be a little faster, but with the 4wd, it's still fun.

Here's what Im looking for...a truck thats about as fast as my 'Pede, 4wd, and scale looking. I want to have a Pre-runner style when Im done (something like Bender's SCX10). I also dont have nearly the budget for brushless, so Im going with what I have (and possibly throw a 2s lipo into the mix before summer)

I guess my big question is, with the right pinion/spur combo, could the SCX10 run the same speed as my 'Pede with the same motor? I would transplant the CO27 into the SCX. Like I said, I dont crawl, so I dont need the 35T or 55T torque, the 21 degrees of timing on the 27T makes plenty of torque for how I drive.

It's possible, I had the same problem in my Hardcore Slash project. The trans without pinion/spur is 2.6:1. You can use an Associated TC3 69T 48p spur on the tranny and a Robinson 35T 48p pinion on your motor. You will need to use Axial high speed gears (14/36) in your axles.

All that gives you a final ratio of 13.17:1
That should be ok.

EDIT: The Stampede has a final drive of 12.34:1 so you would be pretty close.

Last edited by Katan; 11-30-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Thanks for your replies guys especially with the comparisons on gear ratios. Ive been around RC's off and on since I bought my first RC10T back in 1992, but yet fully understanding the math behind gear ratios has always eluded me. I get the relation between pinion and spur for torque vs speed, but add that to axles and trans ratios and my mind just goes blank.

So I found info on HPI's site that states a stock Wheely Kings over all gearing is 23:1. I really dont think I could match the 'Pedes speed with what I have for equipment. Well I could, but I think the motor would burn up...It gets pretty hot now in the 'Pede (running 19/90). So I think a little more realistic goal is to just shoot for faster than the Wheely King.

I also found this in an old thread here...
WK axle is 13/38 = 2.923, WK tranny is 15/28 = 1.866, therefore final drive ratio without considering the motor pinion and spur is 5.456

Depending on things go...The 'Pede may get sold as a roller to fund a cheap brushless setup for the SCX10 to get my speed fix while the WK is saved for mud, water, snow.
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote