Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial AS-2 servo converted into winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
'08 2.2 National Champ

Default Axial AS-2 servo converted into winch

I'm sure a bunch of people have the Axial AS-2 servo floating around so I figured I'd post up how to modify it to work as a winch. It seems to be a good servo for it as it's doesn't seem to want to wander like some other servos. Mine came out of a SCX-10 TR. If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

Credit should be given to Grizzly4x4. His tech thread is where I learned to do this.

Here's the servo

Remove the servo horn and the screws on the back of the servo. Take off the top of the servo and it should look like this

Next take off the white plastic bushing, the middle gear, then the silver gear. Make sure to keep them in order so you know how to put them back together.

Now take the silver gear and you'll find a pin that is pressed into it. Take some pliers and pull it out. It's tight, I used some channel locks but it came out. If for any reason it doesn't come out you can carefully dremel off the pin.

Remove the white plastic piece that looks like this, you will no longer need it so you can set it aside with the pin.

You will now need your radio, here is how to set up your DX3r if you have one.

Go to System

Switch Select

Then change D to Aux 3P, that will allow you to use your D button as a 3 position switch to run the servo in and out.

Now plug the winch into your receiver and turn on your crawler. You might want to disconnect a motor wire so you don't accidentally have it take off on you.

With the D switch in the center position the servo will be turning. Take the piece of the servo with the two flattened sides (called the pot) and slowly turn it until it stops turning. There is a very fine point where it will stop.

Then switch it back and forth with the radio multiple times. This helps to show if you need to fine tune the pot so it doesn't wander. If you need to re-adjust, do so.

Once you have it positioned take a small drop of CA and drop it in to stop it from turning easily. Careful, you only need 1 small drop. That will help to keep things centered.

Now reassemble the gears onto the servo. Re-install the servo cap and screws and you're pretty much done.

You will need to find 2 of the round servo horns. The Axial AS-2 servo is compatible with Futaba Servo arms. I found a package of 3 at my LHS for $3.99.

Take one horn and install it like normal. Attach your winch line to the servo horn closest to the servo. Then take the other horn and install it on top. You might need a slightly longer screw than stock to reach. They are just a 3mm screw. A small amount of blue thread lock on the threads is a VERY GOOD IDEA. The key is to tighten tight enough to hold but not so tight it deforms the horn, keep in mind, the outer horn is just a guide.

Picture mounted in a SCX-10

How's this for a test video?

Last edited by Just Zach; 11-30-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

good write up
rider12693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Cool write up I rather turn this one into a servo instead of one of my spare ones. Now I just have to figure out my 3pk and get it setup.
dezslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
'08 2.2 National Champ

I finished up the pics and posted a quick video.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Moderator Rule Breaker

Zach, Have you ran into this problem ?

eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
'08 2.2 National Champ

I haven't. I have run into the issue that running this servo, with another digital servo as the steering servo, on a Futaba radio mean you burn up the Axial winch servo very quickly. I've started using the Spektrum A6020 servo for a winch servo. Pretty good price and it's digital so it works well.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Zach, Have you ran into this problem ?
hey E i had some servos with the same "slot". what you can do in that case is either carefully drill it out or cut down the pot output after it's . i have done both.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
I haven't. I have run into the issue that running this servo, with another digital servo as the steering servo, on a Futaba radio mean you burn up the Axial winch servo very quickly. I've started using the Spektrum A6020 servo for a winch servo. Pretty good price and it's digital so it works well.
Well that stinks about burning up axial servo with futaba radio. I have 4pk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE View Post
hey E i had some servos with the same "slot". what you can do in that case is either carefully drill it out or cut down the pot output after it's . i have done both.
Thanks Ric. But with what zach said both us running 4pk's. No point in messing with the axial servo anymore.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

well i just did this to my as2 servo and it works great , but my problem is how can i get the servo to reverse its rotation, and where is a good mounting spot on a scx10
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #10

Default Re: Axial AS-2 servo converted into winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post

i realize this an old thread and no one probably looking at it , but i was thinkin about doing this servo winch with the as2 but i will be using a futaba 4pl. was it just a certain futaba tx that maybe caused it ? anyone else tried this since a couple years ago?
cuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to do that to mine later today.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho1.9 View Post
well i just did this to my as2 servo and it works great , but my problem is how can i get the servo to reverse its rotation, and where is a good mounting spot on a scx10

i have also had that problem, but im using a fs-gt3b unhacked.
I am placing mine in a proline uder body, on the left side on the slider, with a tube guiding the line threw the chassis and out the front bumper.
I havent tested it yet, but it looks good.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey, I brought this up cuz there was some un answered questions, and its a cool idea.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I used a servo horn to mount mine on the front of my frame. I am surprised how strong they are I have snapped my string twice now.

scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #15

Locked up RC has some very strong synthetic rope to use for winches
nickel417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel417 View Post
Locked up RC has some very strong synthetic rope to use for winches
Thank you I will have to check them out I need something better for sure!
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #17

Can this be done with the DX3s ?
I'v had this radio for 3 years now, think I should no lol
burtonkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonkidd View Post
Can this be done with the DX3s ?
I'v had this radio for 3 years now, think I should no lol

Unfortunately the 3S has only a 2 position 3rd channel. The best way in your cae would be to look up "Heyok" (user name) on this forum. He sells winch controllers that work with 2 position switches. Great guy and great products. I have 3 of them. The best thing is there is no drifting like you can get with Zach's install. He mentioned having to fine tune the servo pot so it doesn't drift. but many start drifting as you use it. The rig will seem fine and you drive it a bit. Then you notice your line is spooling out or tightening. Then you have to adjust the trim on the 3rd channel or pull the servo apart to re adjust it. The price of the winch controller alone is worth not having to deal with that imho !
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Nice tech info, thanks!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #20

is any one on that can give me info about my servo horn and servo????
wallop111 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/214078-axial-2-servo-converted-into-winch.html
Posted By For Type Date
How to make a servo winch... - WARCRC This thread Refback 10-06-2011 10:26 PM