Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Question

I just recently bought a SCX and really love it. I saw benders thread and wanted my truck like his so a friend gave me a 12t engine and does great but I would like a new ESC. I am new at this so flame away but I have been doing some searching and I it seems to me I can't find a crawler ESC that will work with a 12t. I like the ability to go fast and crawl and I know its hard to have both. My question is so you can't use a ESC if the motor limit is 13 and I have a 12? I like the feature of the the drag brake and non crawler ESC don't have that feature it doesn't seem. I just have the NImh batteries and I don't have any exper with Lipo so I am guessing from what I have read they are way better. I have read that 35t and the FXR is the way to go so should I just drop the 12t and go with this and get the lipo? Will this give me close to both worlds? Any help will be much appreciated.
LostCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ask Bender what he has and get one of those
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Bender was using the Novak Super Rooster ESC. He did say that the motor would get quite hot while crawling.

I better compromise would be to go with the Titan 21t motor. This would give you a little more low end and still be fast. If you realy want the best of both worlds ( which is hard to do ) then a good hand wound 35t motor and a 3 cell lipo would be the way to go. I have one in one of my scalers with a 14t pinion for the low speed control, but with a good radio you could run a 20t or higher and get even more speed.

Just food for thought. Hope you find the combo that works best for you.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok thanks for the reply. Should I still get the FXR ESC then. Why would a good radio give me more speed?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am using the Axial ae-1 esc and an hpi firebolt 15t (the escs limit) for when I want to go fast, and switch to a crawler motor when I plan on crawling.

I wouldn't say a good radio would give you more speed, but it would give you more accurate low speed control. Less signal degredation.

Last edited by NeoK5Driver; 12-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

OK so what happens when you use a engine that is a 12t and the limit is 15t, am I going to hurt something? Also what are some recommended places to buy engines/ESC from?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Using a lower turn motor than your esc can handle will burn out the esc. As for where to buy, your LHS is always an option, rpphobby, amazon, wherever you can find the best price.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i run the fxr with the 35t and 3s lipo and it seems to have plenty of power and wheels speed im evening planning on saaling my novak brushless got set up and buying another fxr
passinby is offline   Reply With Quote