Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Gear Ratio Overkill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gear Ratio Overkill?

I am curious if this gearing combination will be overkill for a scale truck. I know that it says it in the chart . But will it be so slow it wont be fun, or will it be so tourqe(y) that it will just hop up everything.
Im curious to see what everyone is running for the setup that is a happy medium for speed and crawling. More interested in better crawling. The setup im thinking about running is 96 tooth spur gear with a 10 tooth pinion.

This is the gear ratio diagram in the owners manual.

The parts I'm interested in are both 48 pitch.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

yea thats gonna be really slow and boring to drive but you would have tons of low speed control and torque.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

14 and 87 are the stock numbers, which looks like 47.8 ratio in the stock kit. so depending on what motor you are running (if it's a 15t you will still have decent speed for a crawler) you may want to move up or down. i wouldn't go quite so drastic with your ratio, you are lookin at really slow and strong. would give you great slow speed control when climbing, but to GET to the climb would take forever. why don't you just try the new spur with the stock pinion and see how you like that?
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

alright looks like I might just keep everything stock until I get the novak crawler/55t.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by house_Fly View Post
alright looks like I might just keep everything stock until I get the novak crawler/55t.
a 55t and stock gearing is over kill IMO a 35t and stock gearing is prefect with pleanty of tourqe for a 1.9 tire and scale rig
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I dont really know much about these but im getting the 1.9 rok lox for the next upgrade. will the larger tire mess up anything/ be enough power for the 35t?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by house_Fly View Post
I dont really know much about these but im getting the 1.9 rok lox for the next upgrade. will the larger tire mess up anything/ be enough power for the 35t?

i run a 30t handwound with those tires and a 16t pinion. its just the right balance of wheelspeed and low speed control for me. best thing to do is experiment to find out what you like best
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote