Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: my first real rc rig.. scx10 TR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default my first real rc rig.. scx10 TR

i just got a TR as an early xmas present from my wife. first off i love it! all that i have had for crawlers before was some nylints. i am happy with the wheel speed but im not happy with the low speed/crawl control. it is hard to go slow and just crawl over stuff but it sure is fun to bump over! the tr im going to keep stock as long as parts last and just kinda bash it / snow runs, i wanted a rtr to run so i can take my time building a ax10 and nice scaler this winter. i was wondering how the stock esc compares to a nice one? i also have a BL-XR on the way that i am going to use on my ax10 that i will prob try out in it.
tj on 37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Keep the 27 for goofing around but get a 45T or a 35T with a 14 tooth pinion for crawling. The speed controller and AS-2 metal gear servo are fairly decent but you need a Castle Creation BEC to keep from stalling (servo is about 90 oz and when you hang a wheel it will sut the truck down due to the servo pulling more current than the 1.2 amp BEC in the AE-1 ESC). The Axial ESC is rated for 10 cells so it should be OK with a 3S lipo of you run a smart stop or one of the helicoptor lipo warning boards that are out there. I also have a TR and have an Integy 45T with a 14 tooth pinion and a CC BEC (mine was stalling out the first time I had it on serious rocks). I also got some AX30429 hexes and a set of Pro Line 1.9 Titus wheels on it. Future mods are a Castle Creation Sidewinder ESC (or HH Torquemaster or a Tekin FX-r, keep changing my mind on the ESC), a frame mount steering kit, front CVDs, high mount steering knuckles, delrin links (making those myself), and installing the 4 link on the back. Will probably upgrade the steering servo when I do the frame mounted steering.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

with a 35t and 14tooth will i loose wheel speed?
tj on 37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Not that much. Get a 3S Lipo and a Maxpro 3S Lipo Battery Low Voltage Monitor LED / ALARM board. You can also get a 8 or 9 cell 2/3A 1600 pack. That will give you all the wheel speed you want them some and still give you some crawling capability.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Im runnin stock motor, stock receiver, ESC from an old racecar I had cause the Axial one fried when my 1st BEC fried, and a Castle BEC. It crawls GREAT with plenty of low speed control. Try the BEC and a good battery, that along with a 12T pinion made mine run great!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
I Lie!

try driving with the throttle trim
ancichf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj on 37s View Post
with a 35t and 14tooth will i loose wheel speed?
perfect gear/ motor setup for an scx-10 no matter what! the 3s lipo just adds a little fun with even more wheel speed!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote