Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: electronics for a Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default electronics for a Honcho

Soon I will be ordering a scx10 Honcho kit and i want to know what electronics I should get. Like what motor and esc works the best? Also I gotta ask is there any common problems or things that will break on a scx10? One more thing is that should I run a lipo or the 7.2v stick pack?

Thanks!!!
RBCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

The Goat combo or the Rooster combo are both great choices. From Novac (Combo meaning,ESC and motor)I'd also definatly go LIpo. Both of these choices can handle a 2s lipo with ease!
truckman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Your choice of components will depend on what you want out of your scaler.

If you're looking to do some muddin' or water driving, than you would want to install waterproof running gear. Traxxas XL5 speedos and 2000 series servos are popular choices for this application.

If you don't intend on putting your ride in the drink, you can run standard electronics of your choice, but it still may be a wise idea to put them in a box to protect them just in case. The blue Hi Tec servo cases are common for this.

The Axial kits are well built and you'll be very happy with the durability. Something will give if it's driven hard enough, but that's all up to you and how far you're willing to push the limits.

As far as cells, Lipo vs. NiMH is no contest. Lipo requires a specific charger and a bit more attention and they can sometimes be more of an investment depending on the manufacturer, however the trade off in power and delivery of that power is well worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy your build
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys! I live in south Florida so there is more mud/water to play in than rocks so I will look into the traxxas water proof servo and esc. Do lipo batteries and water mix?
RBCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Most batteries fair well in water as they are shrink wrapped, although some are better than others. If you end up going with Lipo but aren't sure, you can always add another layer of shrink to the pack to seal it up a bit more.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #6

Hi all!
I am also going to purchase a Honcho
How do you think guys of buying a Tekin esc and Tekin 55T motor?
Is it a better choice than novak or not?

Thanks
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My personal preference is Tekin, or Holmes Hobbies, but there are plenty of drivers out there running Novak products as well.

I'm not a fan of Novak, but that's just me.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I vote the tekin over novak because first you have 3s lipo capability and second they are programmable.

For the SCX10 I think the 55t is a little slow and have a 35t myself. I had an XL5 but got tired of no drag brake and the fact the thing is about as smooth as 60 grit sand paper. I have my tekin wrapped in a condom and sealed the electronics box with silicon. I have been fully submerhed many times and all is well. This is with my lipos too.

Only thing I think the SCX10 needs out of the box is to have the wheels weighted, other than that it holds well. If going 3s the shafts tend to tear at the yokes but a cheap upgrade to stamped half shafts fixes that. All in all it's a tuff little truck and a blast to drive.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm still not sure about the electronics yet for my honcho build going on now but I agree with TexasSP, the 35t motors seem to be best fitted for this truck. I did a lot of reading before going with the 35t motor. Anything more might be too slow and torque is sufficient unless you have a three speed trannie for higher turn motors. I have a three speed on my Tamiya F350 and 3rd gear has plenty "fast" with the stock engine and gives plenty of climbing torque in 1st gear (which is where you do most of your driving anyway). Without the 3 speed trannie, 35t just seems right. Choosing Novak over Tekin for my new honcho build was simply a matter of cost effectiveness.

Last edited by FodigoDave; 12-22-2009 at 08:58 PM.
FodigoDave is offline   Reply With Quote