Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hilux Body Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hilux Body Questions

I did a forum search and was reading about a lot of you guys using the Tamiya Hilux body on your SCX10.

I found a link to Tamiya's site that had a complete parts list for the body. I made note of that and went to see how much of it Tower Hobbies had just for giggles. Turns out they had it all except one tree was out of stock. Even with free shipping and member coupons, it was quite a chunk of change, about what they cost on ebay new or a little cheaper.

So, I went and looked at the gallery here at all the Hilux SCX10's and I noticed that many of the Hilux bodies in the gallery were far from complete. Looks like many did not have the bumpers or rollbars or some even the window "glass". that really doesn't matter to me at all and I think they looked cool kinda stripped down and primered. My SCX10 will be a runner and not a queen anyway.

So I gotta ask you guys..what is the bare minimum parts list I need to make a Hilux body of the stripped down/incomplete/primered paint job variety? Something that looks cool but I will not fear using daily.

I mean, is it as simple as getting the:

-front body
-rear body
-grill tree
-maybe the windows (optional)
-then use screws from another source

Or is it more involved than than that? I mean what would be a bare minimum parts list to have what could be considered a slightly incomplete but very usable Hilux body?? I also have been unable to find pictures of how you guys are mounting them on the chassis.

Would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

-Eric
ericinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hilux

You need the bed, cab, parts tree W(grill) and P(light lenses)

Most people use Velcro or the existing holes in the hilux to mount the body. Either the holes for the body posts in the hood and bed. Or use screws in the lower holes on the cab.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I found this to be a perfect thread..lol I just got the hilux (front & rear) for my SCX10 and have been looking at different ways. So far the best way I have came up with is to make a platform between the shock towers and either use screws or velcro.. Not sure how well Velcro will work but dont like having to carry another tool just to change batts.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hilux

You need the bed, cab, parts tree W(grill) and P(light lenses)

Most people use Velcro or the existing holes in the hilux to mount the body. Either the holes for the body posts in the hood and bed. Or use screws in the lower holes on the cab.
Thanks, and those "W" tree parts.. Do people sometimes cut off the bottom part of the grill? Looks to me like you would be missing some of the bits needed for that whole grill piece to look right?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My last reply confuses even me now so I can see why nbody answered it I think I meant to ask about the grill on that tree not looking like it comes with what I guess is technically the front bumper?? Seems like the grill looks strange without it unless you are lopping off that bottom half. What am I missing here?

I'm still a little foggy on exactly how much I could cheat on skimping, buying only the most necessary parts and trees without making it look too ghetto. I know I don't want to/can't afford to sink $175 in one with every little doodad affixed. If I truly belived I could just buy the front half/ rear half, windows, grill, then find my own fasteners and just give it the primer paint job, I'd be game for that.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you want to do the lights/reflectors/grill correctly you'll need the screw kit. You can get away with glueing or using hot glue to affix the grill and other components, but I don't believe they'll hold during any kind of impact. I have a buddy who crawls with us and his grill came off when he crashed since it was hot glued instead of screwed on.
nickvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Take a look at my build thread I just put together a Hilux cab and made the bracket to hold the grill on see pics. The parts I purchased are:

Cab:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTWF2&P=ML

Grill: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTWF7&P=7

Lenses: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTWF8&P=7

Windows: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTWF9&P=7

For the headlights I just went to the dollar store and picked up some flashlights and used the buckets and clear lenses.

Here is the link to my build:
Hilux Truggy Build

I will take some pics of the body mounts when I get home
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys!

Scrapen, That is awesome!! I'm bookmarking this so I'm sure not to lose it.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Good info there.
RPP is a bit cheaper on most of these parts, use the Tamiya part #'s on their site to search:
9335487 - cab
9335488 - bed
9225105 - grill parts
9115196 - lenses
9225104 - windows
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinMD View Post
Thanks guys!

Scrapen, That is awesome!! I'm bookmarking this so I'm sure not to lose it.
No problem glad to help I just took an extra piece of sheet metal and bent it to mount the grill to the body at first I just had it glued and it keep coming loose.

and the headlights are hot glued in this make them super sturdy and water tight!

Now for the mounting I took another piece of sheet metal and bent it and used a extra ax10 body mount

I still need to clean up the metal and make it pretty but it works for now.
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again Scrapen, just what I needed!