Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Which of these 3 would you use? (Battery)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which of these 3 would you use? (Battery)

I have ordered my SCX10. Long story short I have been into RC for over 20 years but the last 3 years have done very little, selling all of my stuff over a year ago except for a few odds and ends. I have a lot of catching up to do on new types of motors and lipo batteries and such.

I will be eventually converting to Lipo but right now I had 3 like new nimh batts laying around and a charger. Since it's paid for I'll start with it and go on from there. This is what I have:

1. Promatch EnerG 4200 6 cell (15.0 ounces)
2. Reedy Wolfpack 2400 6 cell (10.5 ounces)
3. Trinity Reference 2200 6 cell (10.9 ounces) and is actually a nicad.

They are all in great shape and have been cycled even though I've been inactive. Obviously the enerG 4200 is 3x the battery the other 2 are in more ways than 1. BUT it weighs a ton compared to the other 2 so I wasn't sure which would be better to use for the SCX10.

I am going to be running the kit version with no lights or accessories with the Axial 27T can motor like comes with the RTR and trying 14 to 20 tooth pinions. Getting a 35T motor when they come back in stock. Using it for trails more than actual crawling most of the time. I would like to run the battery in the stock (rear) location unless I find it performs so poorly I have to put asthetics aside and run it up front like a normal person.

-Eric
ericinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Use the 4200 and put it up front from the start
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I know that's the right way. I just hate how fuggled it looks with everything clustered up front (with the body off I mean). The terrain where I live is not exactly demanding, even for 1/10 scale and I figured I could get away with it in the back for a cleaner look since it was originally designed that way.

Interesting to note, I guess Axial has abandoned that original way of thought because as I was reading through the online manual for the Honcho version, I noticed those instructions show you to mount it up front from the get-go. Wasn't sure if that was becuase they know that's the way to go for all situations now, or if it was because there was no room in the back with the honcho's cage?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Official Scale Nazi

It's mounted up front on the Honcho because the tube bed would not allow battery clearance. I prefer going with the rear-mounted battery if you can. Even though it's not giving you front weight bias, it's much lower in the rear improving CG.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd use the 4200 for the run times, if your trails are easy, then the weight isn't gonna matter enough for the other factors to matter.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. Do you think the stock springs will support that much weight and not make the truck lower in the rear? I assume I'll have to use a little more preload back there, but wasn't sure how strong the kit springs were.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i doubt you will even notice the difference.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote