Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #1

Exclamation scx10 wear

Hi to all,

I am thinking to buy a SCX-10 to use it in sand. I live near a beach. I see that the pinion and the clutch are exposed. There is something to cover up? Do I have to worry?

Thanks in advance,

Nuevototem
nuevototem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There is nothing I know of to cover it with but with a little lexan/polycarbonate some glue and scissors you could get a nice cover together. I would definitely want something to keep the sand out if running on the beach.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #3

Unhappy

Hi to all,

I am really surprised that the pinion and clutch are exposed to mud, sand, etc.

Regards,
nuevototem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevototem View Post
Hi to all,

I am really surprised that the pinion and clutch are exposed to mud, sand, etc.

Regards,
yeah, but its a crawler. I never found myself needing to pick out little grains of sand or silt out of the pinion or spur gear on my crawler. If you are really worried, wheel wells would suffice. But other than that, I can't see anything getting lodge in their unless your crawler was built for speed. But I doubt it with a crawler.
CarLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Make some fender wells that will help dramatically. I made a set for mine from some 2.99 disposable lunch containers.

I will also cut the sides out of a 2 liter pop bottle and zip tie them to the rock slider mounts to keep even more crud away, but depending on the conditions that can also be a nice shelf for stuff to build up you'd have to experiment with that.

I've run mine on the beach a few times without any real problems. With the pinion and spur facing backwards it doesn't seem to be affected. The only real thing I would tell you to do that may be add a outerwears cover for the motor. http://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=202529 The motor tends not to like getting the fine sand particles in and around the brushes/bushing/bearings.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

look for benders original scx10 build. put some fenders in made from cd cases add some paddel tires a good fast motor and really kick up some sand

Edit: here i made it easy for yea
Updates on my SCX10.........
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

when i used to race the original rc10 from back in the day, it had a dust cover for the pinion and spur not sure if the motor plate from an original stealth would fit? the trans. looks the same to me. but the only thing they were good for was collecting dirt in the motor and gears, and catching the pinion when it fell off. we always just threw the covers in the trash... they seemed to always do more harm than good... but that is my opinion, and my $.02
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote