Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Classic 5 Lug Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD Classic 5 Lug Wheels

Anyone using these on their SCX10/TR/Honcho? I bought a set for my TR and the threads on the axle aren't long enough to allow the nut to secure the wheel fully. I think it's a tad lame these aren't (weren't) setup with Axial axles in mind since they're probably one of (if not the) most used axle out there for scalers right now. I also posted on the RC4WD forum and it was suggested I use a spacer between the nut and wheel in order to secure it. I don't have anything in my toolbox and I wouldn't even know where to start to look for the correct ID/OD height spacer for this.

Any thoughts?
nickvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Get some 4mm washers. It's not a big deal, it will set you back maybe 78 cents.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you could try to cut your own spacers out of small tubing or something. I have them on my rig and I just screwed down the regular nut for now.
SAL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Built, not bought

Check your local hardware store in the nuts and bolts section.I know the one I go to has small nylon spacers.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I know I can go to the hardware store and jury-rig something to work. For $99, IMO, the wheels whould work without any washers/spacers, etc. or they should come with the ones that make them work with the axles. It's not the .78¢ that bothers me, it's the fact that they don't work out of the package with the Axial axles. If they've never experienced this before, I believe the specs of the width of the pin mount could be off, which could cause this. If the inside mount were thicker, it would alleviate this problem.

I have some serpent 4x6x2 mm bushings but they're still not tall enough to take up the gap. the ID is okay, the OD is way too small, and the height is too short as the wheels still wobble. They need to be the same OD as the M4 flanged nut to work properly and the correct height, and while I can probably figure out the dimensions, finding that correct washer/spacer is not that easy. If someone else has found them, please provide the link.

Rob from RC4WD already e-mailed me, so I hope they take care of it for me, either by taking them back or fixing the problem.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvig View Post

Rob from RC4WD already e-mailed me, so I hope they take care of it for me, either by taking them back or fixing the problem.
I dont see a problem.You`re talking about two diffent companies.Why do RC4WD have to change their wheels to suit what you want to run them on?
It states on the ad...

Billet aircraft grade aluminum
Steel custom made lugs
12mm hex mount
Designed to fit T-rex, F-350, Hilux, Bruiser axles

How can you buy them then tell them to fix it or take them back?!

Try using flush faced hexes and these between the hex and wheel...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Wheel-S...item35a606078d
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Seriously? You're way off base. I sent RC4WD an e-mail two months ago asking if the Classic 5 lugs would work with the Axial axles and how much they reduced the track width since they are pin mount not hex mount. If they knew they didn't work correctly with Axial axles, don't you think that would have been the time to tell me to try something else? Rob said they've not run into this problem before, so he's looking into it. I was only stating that there may be a dimensional error on this set as they don't work and no one else has had any problems (or said they had any problems), I didn't say they should re-design the wheel for me.

Why is it such a big deal (to you) to return something that didn't work if I didn't use them?

Thanks for the eBay link, but that Tamiya wheel spacer is the wrong OD to fit on these wheels. Way too big as they're intended to go behind the wheel for extra spacing, not to in between the nut/wheel.

And for the record, they haven't told me they won't take them back. I have no real complaints on their customer service so far.

Last edited by nickvig; 01-01-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

They look great on a rig.

Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

That Jeep looks sick! I really love the wheels, but I want to be able to switch between my Axial and something else, so I really need something that works for both. Rob has sent a message to let me know I can return them (awesome customer service!) and I'll get something else.