Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: A ruff Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A ruff Honcho

I built an SCX10 for my boy over Christmas,and was that impressed with how well they were thought out,and went together....I got me a Honcho!
I read about the problem people were having with the servo horn hitting the cross brace,and although mine cleared by about 1mm,it did touch slighlty now and then.So i took the brace out and screwed some CR-01 servo mounts to the chassis so i could cable tie the battery mount to it.
After building the first SCX10 on Christmas day, it was nice to build the Honcho using the all hex hardware,thats a nice touch and looks better than the cross head screws.
For value for money,this kit is hard to beat in my opinion.As this kit comes fully ballraced,hardened diff lockers,hex hardware,Proline tyres with memory foam and all the extra finishing touches like the front bumper,rock sliders and that sexy rear framework, it blows kits like the Hi-Lift (brass bushings!) away. Plus the fact its basically a crawler built on a scale chassi, it just works!
For electrics i chucked in a Hobbywing crawler brushless esc and 1000kv outrunner motor.No real speed but crawls well and has a bit of poke if you need to give it a blip to get over something. I even went up a tooth on the pinion to get a bit more poke fromt it.Might even go one more.
The front bumper could do with being 5 or 10mm higher as the approach angle is a bit limited, and the shock springs could do with being a little softer.But for a standard out of box kit, this works well,
Although i`ve not been out properly with it yet,it feels like it could do ok. I added 40g in each front wheel and 15g each rear.May go to 60g in the front now the spare wheel is on the back.
I didnt like the look of the tyres at first and was going to get some RC4WD Rok Lox,but these are growing on me now.
Some pics i took after the build....

ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

like the colors and the "ruffness".

I wish I had painted my fuel tank gunmetal to match my body but by the time I thought of it it was too late.....Silver it is. I can always paint it from the outside but for now it will be the stickers.

How did you color your wheels? They look nice.
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Truck looks awesome! Is your receiver in the little box below the battery? What receiver is it? I'm hoping a Spektrum SR300 will fit...
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
like the colors and the "ruffness".

I wish I had painted my fuel tank gunmetal to match my body but by the time I thought of it it was too late.....Silver it is. I can always paint it from the outside but for now it will be the stickers.

How did you color your wheels? They look nice.
Thanks
The body was sprayed(on the outside) gold, then grey and then black.Then rubbed with wire wool so light rubs will show grey and the harder rubs show gold. Same with the rear bed but i didnt bother with the grey.
The wheels were sprayed black, then a dusting(what do i sound like!) of orange and a final rub of wire wool to show the original chrome through on the edges.
It all took about half an hour(body and wheels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
Truck looks awesome! Is your receiver in the little box below the battery? What receiver is it? I'm hoping a Spektrum SR300 will fit...
Thanks
There`s a Nomadio receiver in the box under the battery.SR300 should fit no problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #5

Nice honcho, i want one...
I think i have to buy the body shell, i love to frame in the back...
How durable is the frame. I tend to make some hard landings into trees ond rocks.

Good to se somebody finally uses a brushless outrunner in the scx10. How many cells are you using, 2s or 3s. and how many mah.
I have been using this one. http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7873
I had 45 mins of run time on a 2s 1800mah lipo. I used a 23t pinion and a 76t spur, and to motor still had much to offer in speed and power.
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice build, loving how you did the layered colors and brought them out. May have to try that one myself.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

being a kit means that are coming with metal parts, not the plastic ones like the TR ???
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Nice honcho, i want one...
I think i have to buy the body shell, i love to frame in the back...
How durable is the frame. I tend to make some hard landings into trees ond rocks.

Good to se somebody finally uses a brushless outrunner in the scx10. How many cells are you using, 2s or 3s. and how many mah.
I have been using this one. http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7873
I had 45 mins of run time on a 2s 1800mah lipo. I used a 23t pinion and a 76t spur, and to motor still had much to offer in speed and power.
Not really had a crash to test the frame yet, and hope i dont
The battery is a 2s 2600mah 20c receiver pack.Might try a 3s in there and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Nice build, loving how you did the layered colors and brought them out. May have to try that one myself.
It takes no time to do and makes a crap painter look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornel4web View Post
being a kit means that are coming with metal parts, not the plastic ones like the TR ???
Yep, the parts are alloy and not plastic.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I four linked the back end!
Got some four link trusses from the sprue that comes in the TR kit.
I used 91mm links for the top.They could do with being 98mm so i had to use spacers to make up the rest.The only 98mm links i have are red, so would have looked sheet!
I put some offset rod ends on the bottom links to give just a little more clearance.

It doesnt seem to have made a difference to the handling, but it looks so much better than the 3 link version ......
Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

the four link looks the goods. do the drive shaft rings/collars come with the kit? did you use the stock 106mm lower links?
nitro_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star View Post
the four link looks the goods. do the drive shaft rings/collars come with the kit? did you use the stock 106mm lower links?
No they don't and it those are the stock 106mm lower link. You can see it in the 2nd pic
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #12

the all black is cool i like how you made it look rough and kinda beat up
kelso712 is offline   Reply With Quote