Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Any ideas on how to shorten the wheel base on my SCX-10 TR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Location: Somewhere between the Atlanic ocean and Mississippi river
Default Any ideas on how to shorten the wheel base on my SCX-10 TR?

I just got my Ramcharger body finished, the frame is the perfect length but rear axle is way to far back, does anybody know how i can move it forward so it fits in the wheel well?
shadowtrucker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Shorten the link's on the rear axle.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConROCKS! View Post
Shorten the link's on the rear axle.

Not sure if i can shorten the plastic links, but i have the upper links for the 4 link conversion that i never installed. they may work.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

You can also build your own with some alluminum tubing and allthread. Or you can buy different size's from axial also.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You can also build your own with some alluminum tubing and allthread. Or you can buy different size's from axial also.

i'll think of something.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I've used the allthread and tubing method before, it bends too easy if you are gonna be doing any serious crawling. Ordering new links may be more expensive, but in the long run it'll be less headaches.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #7

Just shortening the links will not solve the problems since it will throw the geometry off.
yellorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yes shortening the links will work just remember to shorten the upper links as much as the lower. I have used all thread and brake line, and premade links. I personaly always start off with all thread and brake line. I use 8-32 and 1/4" brake line, Erevo end links round that out. Just remember to start off with links a little longer and you can shorten them a bit till your happy. Once you have it cut the brake line...

Just be aware if you dramatically shorten the links you may need to shorten the drive shafts also.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellorover View Post
Just shortening the links will not solve the problems since it will throw the geometry off.
You will need to go to axial aluminum links. you need to buy a m3 .05 tap to retap the links after you shorten them. Use your lower links to set your wheel base. I used a tubing cutter to cut the links to the desired length. Then you need to get your pinion angle back with the upper links. Use the 4 link mount that came with your tr and cut uppers to the desired length. As for geometry as long as you get the correct pinion angle it will work fine. When you get your links get the ends as well as the metal ball sockets to go in them.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
You will need to go to axial aluminum links. you need to buy a m3 .05 tap to retap the links after you shorten them. Use your lower links to set your wheel base. I used a tubing cutter to cut the links to the desired length. Then you need to get your pinion angle back with the upper links. Use the 4 link mount that came with your tr and cut uppers to the desired length. As for geometry as long as you get the correct pinion angle it will work fine. When you get your links get the ends as well as the metal ball sockets to go in them.
You do not know much about designing a suspension system do you ?
yellorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellorover View Post
You do not know much about designing a suspension system do you ?
Umm alaska your adding a little much too it. Axial and a few other places offer premade links that you can just about bolt in with a color matched spacer here or there if needed. I deffinately agree with you to use the traxxas ball ends they are waay better than axials oher than in some instance where you need the angles that axials offer. Now just don't overlook making your own, there are a couple different routes you can take like I mentioned before all thread/brake line, and then there is delrin which I have also used only thing difficult there is drilling the hole but there is a bushing you can buy that will make that a snap Link Drill Bushing

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Umm alaska your adding a little much too it. Axial and a few other places offer premade links that you can just about bolt in with a color matched spacer here or there if needed. I deffinately agree with you to use the traxxas ball ends they are waay better than axials oher than in some instance where you need the angles that axials offer. Now just don't overlook making your own, there are a couple different routes you can take like I mentioned before all thread/brake line, and then there is delrin which I have also used only thing difficult there is drilling the hole but there is a bushing you can buy that will make that a snap Link Drill Bushing

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
I found that i had a bunch of clearance issues so i ended up doing a bunch of cutting, but i guess if i wanted a show truck, i should have bought a model kit. i'll keep these comments in mind be cause im hoping to build one from scratch, either a CXT truggy scaler (wouldn't happen in real life, i know) or something else, maybe a tow rig for my current truck.