Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial TR or SCX-10 Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial TR or SCX-10 Kit?

I was thinking of picking up a Axial TR for a scaler, but wanted aluminum links. Is there a drop in parts list?

Or am I better off just getting the SCX-10 Kit and getting a new body for it?

The TR would have the electronics removed and sold, as I have a Sidewinder, Spectrum Rx, Castle BEC and 195oz servo for it already. Just need to figure out a motor.....prob a 27T stock.

I just like the look of the TR body.....
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

One website was offering the TR body free with the scx10 kit....cant remember who.
TheCompetition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Great-Dea...7-p-17944.html

Found it. TCS crawlers
TheCompetition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCompetition View Post
Thanks, but I can buy both the kit and the dingo body for less than that. + you don't get the spare tire, electronics, and likely the roll cage.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I would suggest going with the SCX10 kit since you already have the elctronics. And you would have the joy of building it. And with the money you save on getting the SCX10 kit you could buy the motor. I would suggest one of HH puller motors, Maybe the 10t puller. You will have the wheel speed and still be able to go slow enough to crawl with it.
rburda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would prob be using some of my 5000Mah 2S LiPo's with it as well. Might even drop in a 19T brushed as I have one sitting around.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I was thinking of picking up a Axial TR for a scaler, but wanted aluminum links. Is there a drop in parts list?

Or am I better off just getting the SCX-10 Kit and getting a new body for it?

The TR would have the electronics removed and sold, as I have a Sidewinder, Spectrum Rx, Castle BEC and 195oz servo for it already. Just need to figure out a motor.....prob a 27T stock.

I just like the look of the TR body.....
I would go with the scx10 kit, ckrc has them for $204.99. Then just order the dingo. Ive already got rid of the stock ESC and Motor, and replacing the plastic to aluminum. Since you have all the other parts you would be better off IMHO.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Axial scx10

I bought the tr. If i had it to over again i would buy just the kit. Since ive bought my tr i have about 130 in changing all the links, 30 into the body i wanted, changed to a mayhem servo from rc4wd cause the stock one sucked for me. So its kind of whatever you want it to be. But i dont care much for the electronics. Especially since spektrum has the dx3e now for 99.99. Which you can hook up a winch to that. Imo
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
I bought the tr. If i had it to over again i would buy just the kit. Since ive bought my tr i have about 130 in changing all the links, 30 into the body i wanted, changed to a mayhem servo from rc4wd cause the stock one sucked for me. So its kind of whatever you want it to be. But i dont care much for the electronics. Especially since spektrum has the dx3e now for 99.99. Which you can hook up a winch to that. Imo
+2...Nothing worse than sucky electronics in your crawler!!! I also have a super strong distaste for that Dingo body as well...I am seeking medical help for the repercussion of such deep rooted hatred ....I am trying to get over the fact that Axial released a 1:10 scale truck of uh, uh, ummm WTF is it again?

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

They should of released it with an 80s K5 Blazer, late 60s bronco, or a Jeep.
Drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

After much debate I ended up buying the kit version for $195 shipped for myself. When I figured how expensive it would be to change to the aluminum links and steering and how I wanted a little better electronics, the RTR just didn't make sense for me. The TR is a very nice package though depending on how much you can live with the stock electronics and plastic link setup. The body is really cool. I might pick a TR up just for my wife and nephew to drive.
ericinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, my electronics arrived today for my future scaler.

Castle sidewinder, Cirrus 195oz servo, Castle BEC, etc....

I'm thinking of getting the SCX kit and dropping the TR body on it
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Get the kit. Its a better deal and you WILL replace the stock electronics if you get the TR.
I know I would as I got all new stuff sitting here
Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Get the kit. Its a better deal and you WILL replace the stock electronics if you get the TR.
I thought we had a discussion about this? Can you explain to me why my TR still has the stock electronics in it (with a Castle BEC added) and they still work fine?

I gave my TR to my 12 year old nephew (who has never owned a R/C before the Slash I gave him about 2 months ago), he is still running the stock electronics and actually likes driving his TR more then his Slash.

I know the stock TR electronics are not top of the line crawler electronics but they work just fine if you gear it down and add a external BEC and IMO are a good inexpensive option if you can't afford new electronics or are a newbie. I have 4 Mamba Max's as well as a shit load of other electronics that I could have thrown in the TR when I gave it to my nephew but I didn't because I would rather him fry the stock electronics if/when he accidentally rolls in into the creek near his house then frying expensive electronics that he wouldn't even notice the difference in to begin with.

Edit: I forgot to add that since you live in the bay area with me, why don't we go crawling some time with my SCX10 with stock electronics and my Nephews stock TR? And if you keep your bitching and whining to a minimum, I may even let you drive one of them.

Last edited by badger; 01-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

get the honcho and sell the body, and use that to get the dingo body. then you get the spare tire and front bumper. also you can paint the dingo body to look how you want.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I thought we had a discussion about this? Can you explain to me why my TR still has the stock electronics in it (with a Castle BEC added) and they still work fine?

I gave my TR to my 12 year old nephew (who has never owned a R/C before the Slash I gave him about 2 months ago), he is still running the stock electronics and actually likes driving his TR more then his Slash.

I know the stock TR electronics are not top of the line crawler electronics but they work just fine if you gear it down and add a external BEC and IMO are a good inexpensive option if you can't afford new electronics or are a newbie. I have 4 Mamba Max's as well as a shit load of other electronics that I could have thrown in the TR when I gave it to my nephew but I didn't because I would rather him fry the stock electronics if/when he accidentally rolls in into the creek near his house then frying expensive electronics that he wouldn't even notice the difference in to begin with.
Exactly, mine are working great, I had it out in the snow today and the esc was completely covered in snow, I let it dry off and it still works like a charm. It might not be top of the line electronics, but why do you need an esc that costs half as much as the truck...
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
get the honcho and sell the body, and use that to get the dingo body. then you get the spare tire and front bumper. also you can paint the dingo body to look how you want.
I think the Honcho is .9" longer than the TR
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I think the Honcho is .9" longer than the TR
The wheelbase is, the Honcho cab would fit on an SCX10 or TR no problem, but I'm pretty sure it'll be too big if you use the Honcho bed as well.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
The wheelbase is, the Honcho cab would fit on an SCX10 or TR no problem, but I'm pretty sure it'll be too big if you use the Honcho bed as well.
its more the links than the chassis.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Plastic links arent that bad, and you can make your own links out of delrin or sleeved allthread for pretty cheap. I slowly upgraded my RTR electronics over the year, still use the rx. They did there job though, Maybe racing with 3 speed machanical esc's in my youth made me more tolerant :p
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote