Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho Power Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #1

Question Honcho Power Question

Hi guys,

My wife got me a Honcho for Christmas and I got the chassis together and I am trying to outfit the electrics for it and after a ton or research I have a pretty good idea about how I want to set it up.

Here is what I have so far:

Hitec 5645 for steering.. accidently ordered it instead of the 645 but it will do.
Tekin FXR with a Tekin 35T Pro motor
3Racing winch and controller.

I still need battery, charger and receiver and here is what I have picked out and I wanted some opinions on:

For a battery I am looking at a Thunder Power 3S 40C 5000 mah pack with deans connectors. From what I understand the 3S will give me a little more umph when I hit the go button than a 2S would. The thunder power pack has a high C rating for good discharge and the 5000 mah will give me good run times, does that all sound reasonable? Any other recommendations for 3S packs or enlightenment is welcomed.

For a charger I am looking at the Hyperion 606i AC/DC balancer charger with a thunder power balancer board. These appears to be one best chargers for all around charging duties and is well reviewed on alot of forums. Plus I can use it to charge my wifes Pede stick packs.

For a receiver I am looking at the Spektrum DX3R, mainly for the true 3 position 3rd channel so that I can have true control of the winch functions, plus the multi model will allow me to use it the bruiser I am building and pretty much anything else I build.

I know that may seem old hat to alot of you, but the lipo world is very new to me and I have always tried to just do it right the first time, so if anyone has any other thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate your input.

One other thing, I am using the aluminum arm that came with the hitec servo, and I notice alot of you are doing the same. Do you all just drill out the last hole to accept the correct screw, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Tucker
mrtucker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

5645 is actually a little better servo than the 645.

5645 - 164.2 oz/in of torque at 6 volts
645 - 133 oz/in of torque at 6 volts

Radio and charger are exactly what I am running. I am loving my 606i charger. The battery seems to be fine. I have had good dealings with the cheaper Zippy batteries from Hobby City. Only downside is that they are overseas and shipping takes a little longer....usually about 12 days to Louisiana.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you are wanting to do a 11volt Lipo I would suggest a higher turn motor, like a 45. I ran a 35t in mine with almost the same set-up with an 11v and the truck had almost way to much wheel speed and the motor would get hot pretty quick.

I just put in a 45t and it rruns much better, I still have good wheel speed, lots of crawling torque, and the motor stays cool. My run time increased as well.
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

So would it be better to step up to a 45T or step down to a 2S cell. I have the 35T on the way so if a 2S would be better for that motor then I will just get a good 2S to run the 35T and when I get my bruiser ready to power up, I will order another FXR with a 45T and a 3S and then I can tweak the two to get the driving profiles that I am looking for for each rig.

Thanks a ton guys, I will post up some pics once it warms up enough to get the shell painted.

-Tucker
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Umm you might want to look at Holmes Hobbies at his Torquemaster ESC and pro motors. I'm running a 35t Torqmaster pro motor in my scx10 and a Torquemaster BR-XL esc and a 30T Torquemaster Pro motor in my honcho, and yes I run 3s. The ESC can also be ordered waterproof... I like the extra wheel speed and have never had my 35t stall even under severe binds... Just food for thought.

3s or no I've tried 45T and felt it really lacked wheel speed. It is great if your driving style is slow, methodical and high traction.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I would agree with WarTrader, stick with the 35T. I have never had any heat issues on 3s with a 35t. I run a 35t in most of my scalers, good low end control and good wheel speed.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have a honcho and a trail ready truck.
The honcho is running a goat with a 5400 2s lipo and it's fast.
The trail ready has a holmes hobby 35t motor and a 3s and it's almost as fast.

I also have custom jeep with a Jp customs 35t motor and it's also smooth and fast with plenty of torque.

They are price motors but the integy 35t did a good job

The custom motors are worth the money in my opinion.

They both run fairly cool

Last edited by nmanuel01; 01-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I enjoy my FXR with a 35t, on 3s. If you think its too fast, just gear down. The reason I spent the cash on a FXR is so I can run a 3s. Those extra volts are great for many different reasons. I'd say 3s or nothing!

I will also encourage you to order some HobbyKing.com lipos. They are dang cheap. I run 1300mah 20c 3s turnigy batteries, and I still get about 40min of run time out of one.

I would think your truck would perform better with a smaller lighter battery, instead of one big heavy pack, just carry a couple extra in your pocket. A smaller battery also gives you the option of changing your battery placement, and will alow you to keep the weight lower on the chassis.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

K, well I think I will stick with a 3S and 35T then. I will check out some of the smaller packs. I am not tied to the 5000, it was just one of the few 3S packs that I found with a hard case. I guess that is just preference, and I don't have to have a hard case, just seemed like it might be a little more protection for the lipo cells.

I really appreciate all of your input, I owe you all one

-Tucker