Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho rear bed painting options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Honcho rear bed painting options

Well my 9yr old son just finished building his very first R/C truck with dad helping him along the way for those "things" he just couldnt do. Needless to say hes excited and cant wait to go scaling with dad. Now for the painting. How did you guys paint the bed of the honcho? Did you paint under the bed or over the bed? Which way will net the best results? Im gonna do like most of you all have and paint the fuel cell red and the diamond plate either silver or black. Also, did you guys handpaint the fuel tank or spray it? I think spraying it would take extra time but like i said, if it nets better results then ill take my time.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

I painted my bed silver on the bottom, then backed it in black. The sticker sheets that come with the Honcho have a fuel cell sticker on them too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks bender. Thats what i was thinking about doing with the bed. I think the black backing will add to the scale realism of it. I didnt know your kit came with a fuel can sticker. Ill check it out but i think painting it will give it that "nice" touch and plus i wont have to worry about it peeling off if gas leaks onto it while fueling up. Did you paint yours?
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

I did paint mine. I cut the clear over spray film off the outside of the flat bed for the fuel cell only, after I was finished painting everything. I sprayed it bright red on the outside. Then I peeled the rest of the over spray film off the bed leaving just the gas tank red. Painting it on the outside almost gives the tank a powder coated look too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I pianted both inside and out. I started on the inside with the red. I didn't care if I was messy as there is an overcoat on top. If I was doing a shelf queen I'd take my time. Next I sprayed the black on the bottom. Then I did exactly what Bender said, cut the overspray film and paint the top in black as well. This way the fuel cell is somewhat shiny and bright but the exposed area of the deck, which really is top and bottom, both have a consistent finish on them.

I did the same basic thing with my body.

I used all Tamiya rattle can paints as well. I don't have an airbrush anymore.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

drill the holes in the bed before painting all i can say lol. i painted mine before drilling and it was a pain to get everything to line up right after i was done.
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I drilled mine as before as well.

I found the body mount holes in the back as well as the spare tire caddy were a paint to find even before paint. Once I did find all the marks for the holes in the body I took a #55 drill bit and drilled them all out. Then I lined up the bed on the rails and drilled out the corner hole where it mounts to the rail. Then I screwed it in to hold it in place. I squared up the body and drilled out another hole and screwed it to the rails. Then I drilled out the other 8 holes this way now that the bed was not moving.

I was shorted a few screws in my kit so I have to try and find some before it's "finished".
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote