Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ???5 gears???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #1

Default ???5 gears???

Does anyone knows what are the five extra gears and a pin that comes in the packages of AX10 Scorpion Rock Crawler? I assume one of them is a large pinion gear for a motor but not sure about other gears.

Last edited by tecboy; 01-15-2010 at 09:27 PM.
tecboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

diff gears tranny gears?
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Okay, what are diff gears and tranny gears and what are these for?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Which one(s) do they look like:
Ring & Pinion
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTCY0&P=7

Diff Gears
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVP7&P=7

Transmission gear
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSAR1&P=7

More Transmission Gears
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSAT5&P=7

Ring & Pinion take the power front the driveshaft and spin it into the axle shafts. Some torque multiplication/rpm division too.

Diff gears would go into the axle diff cup in place of a locker and would allow the 2 wheels on an axle to rotate at different speeds or counter each other. (Open diff)

Transmission gears used in transmission to multiply torque and divide rpms.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Thanx for the info. Those gears are Axial Differential Gear Set. Is there an instruction manual on the internet that teaches me how to install those gears? The manual for the Scorpion Rock Crawler does say anything about those gears.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you want an open diff, you put in the spider gears. Want it spooled up, put in the spool or "locker".
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

I appreciate your help, but I'm new to Rock Crawler. I have no ideas what are you saying about open diff, spider gears, and spool or locker.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
I appreciate your help, but I'm new to Rock Crawler. I have no ideas what are you saying about open diff, spider gears, and spool or locker.
Open diff:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm

The problem with an open diff is that as soon as that one tire looses traction all the power will go to that tire and it will just spin. So in the rocks that sucks. Sucks in the mud too. In a 4x4 with open diffs, if one side of the truck gets stuck in mud then both tires on that side could spin forever and although the other tires may have traction, they won't get power. So it's like 2wd in a way. (Yes, your 2wd car could essentially be 1wd)

in the 1:1 world, a locker can lock both axle shafts together and they will both turn at the same rate regardless of one being on the ground or not. Some lockers are automatic (they engage a few different ways) and some are manual, like an air actuated locker (ARB for example). These "lockers" can be unlocked either by a switch or if they are automatic they have mechanisms to sense you are making a turn on a high traction surface and will temporarily unlock. We don't have anything quite like this in RC that I know of.

A spool on the other hand has no mechanism for disengaging. Spools on both ends mean that come hell or high water, all 4 of your tires will receive equal power and spin at the same rate. You can have a mini spool or a full spool but it's not really important as the function is the same. A full spool just replaces the whole part the ring gear bolts to where as a mini spool drops into the differential carrier (or "cup") and replaces the spider gears.

The term locker is kinda misused on here because our "lockers" are really all spools... An Axial AX10 locker is actually a mini spool ... essentially.

If you are rock crawling your RC, you want spools because it means that both sides of the axles will get power and turn, regardless of traction, unless you break something. It will make it harder to turn in a tight circle but with an open differential (using the spider gears) as soon as one tire gets lifted off the ground it will spin and the tire on the other side will get no power. So you'll get stuck all the time.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #9

Thanx a lot, Locked Up. Your are my lifesaver. That is all I need to know.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #10

Since I understand the differential gears. I wonder does anyone tries using differential gears on both front and back axial. I know diff gears are not for climbing or crawling rocks, but do they run better on smooth floor.