Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: honcho steering fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default honcho steering fix

While I was building my honcho, I noticed the steering linkage was stoping thew front end from compressing fully, hell... it was stoping it from compressing even half way.
I spent a little time looking at it, and found a fix using only parts that came with the kit.
You can replicate it as well with the rtr version, but you may have to buy 2 end links.

So what is the problem exactly.
If you connect the servo link to the front of the servo arm, then the endlink will contact the battery trey support, if you mount the servo link on the back of the serrvo arm, the link will contact the frame.

Here's what you need.
2 45 degree bent links. (Rthe ones that are angled sideways, not bent up)

Attatch them to the servo link so that the end that connects to the servo angles down, and the one that connects to the knuckle angles in.

Now, attatche the knuckle end of the link to the bottom, inside hole of the knuckle using a spare self tapping screw.
Then attatch the other end to the inside of the servo arm using a spare screw that is only long enough to thread all the way into the servo arm, but not extend past it.
Finally reconnect the drag link to the knuckle on the outermost hole using a shorter spare screw and your done...

Pics

soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

after 700 some odd posts, one would think you would have learned to post pictures lol. them red x's don't help much, I always "preveiw" my posts so I can make sure everthing is working.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Damnittttttttt..
Ill fix in a bit
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

pics fixed

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

wadda mean fixin my rigs oh...nevermind nice steering fix
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #6

I hate to put your bonfire out, but I have an even simpler fix
Tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_ View Post
I hate to put your bonfire out, but I have an even simpler fix
ok, I'm ready, what is it?
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #8

I just bought a SCX honcho RTR and was wondering what parts are needed to upgrade to Aluminum steering? The RTR comes with all plastic and I have just upgraded the servo but I would like to 'fix' the clearance problem also! Great tip!!!
Mayhem95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

If you ever upgrade to high steer knuckles and cvd's, you'll never get max steering angle with that linkage setup.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
ok, I'm ready, what is it?
On my Honcho I simply mounted the steering pushrod on the rear side of the servo horn, instead of the front. Job jobbed.
Tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

When I get home from Canada (Friday) I'll post a pic of my Honchos steering, mine works perfectly as far as I can tell.
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok here's mine, I have no idea why you did yours that way

sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_ View Post
On my Honcho I simply mounted the steering pushrod on the rear side of the servo horn, instead of the front. Job jobbed.
X2
I tried what you had Tim and with the 45* rod ends found that I didnt get full throw in one direction?!? So I took your idea of trimming a screw to just fit and mounted it to the back of the servo arm using the stock rod ends but kept the pitman arm mounted in stock location (top of knuckle and drag link). No clearance issues now and full steering both directions.
Mayhem95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Default steering

take your stock servo plate and mount it to the inside of the driverside frame rail with spacers and run the servo gear to the front. send the drag link to the passenger tire above the longer link. works great and cost $0.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The whole point wasn't to allow more steering throw left or right...

It was that the front suspension hits the servo link before the suspension reaches full compression.
Once you mount the servo link to the back of the servo horn the frame will still contact the linkage before the suspension fully compresses....

What's the big deal you ask...

Have a seat folks and let old soundcolor tell you all about it.

You see kiddies, when you need the front end to fully compress (say you need to hop a gap, or drop off a ledge) and instead of fully compressing to absorb the impact the right side frame rail contacts the linkage it can push your steering around, make you land unstable or simply not allow you full articulation to place your tires where you need them to be.

High steer knuckles don't solve the problem because they only lift the linkage higher for ground clearance thus decreasing the point at which the right side frame rail contacts the linkage.

Simply mounting the linkage to the back side of the servo arm is great because it keeps the servo link from hitting the chassis brace. Still tho, the right side frame rail will Contact the linkage and that's just not optimal.

However, by following the above posted pictures you will have full suspension compression and you wont have to worry about the frame rail hitting the linkages.

As for just mounting the servo to he frame rails. I tried that and when I did with my hitec 645 the servo arm hit the axle housing still creating the same problem of not allowing full compression. I am sure that you could mount the servo farther up with a custom plate but that was no the point o this.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have having the same problem...but then I bought a hand bros CMS kit..solved it lol and looks and performs better now. next upgrad for me is high steer knuckles..
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
I have having the same problem...but then I bought a hand bros CMS kit..solved it lol and looks and performs better now. next upgrad for me is high steer knuckles..
Can you post a link to this kit?
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaweely View Post
Can you post a link to this kit?
here it is http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Hand-Brot...o-p-18096.html
joshlindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

had the exact same problem on my honcho
fallensk8man89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I removed the stock link and used a Rustler steering link attached to the back side of servo arm and right side steering knuckle. I didn't like the sharp angle with the short stock link.
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote