Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First SCX10, what upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #1

Default First SCX10, what upgrades?

First off, hi! My name is Michael and i live in Adelaide, Australia, ive been into RC stuff for about a year and have several offroad vehicles, but ive been itching to get some form of trail truck for a while.

Over the last couple of months ive been looking at alot of youtube stuff, researching threads and articles and pretty much decided that the SCX10 Honcho kit is what i want. I really like the scaler look alot more than a comp, and wont be competing either, mostly just little trips around where i live, lots of hills, rocks, moss, and a creek.

I have all my electrics sorted (3s lipo, brushless 1500kv motor, 14kg servo), but need some additional assistance before i order the kit.
From what i have read about the SCX10, there are a few issues like the universal shafts popping apart.
Should i be ordering 2x http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXGD9&P=7
Or go straight to aftermarket shafts http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXVF4&P=7

I have no budget, just need to know what is going to give me good durability, im pretty hard on my cars.
HD diff gears needed? etc

Any advice on things that should be upgraded right out of the box would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Michael999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I would go with the Axial rings since it is a trail truck.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 AM   #3

If your as hard on things as I am then I would recommend mip drive shafts, HD tranny gears and aluminum C's and highsteer knuckles! This should be good for starters. After you break an axial shaft I would up grade but they hold pretty well..... IMO stay away from the mip cvd's I broke mine within 4 hrs of installing them.
scrambln81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #4

Oh and another good upgrade is switching out the stock slipper clutch and spur gear. I run Traxxas slash on mine, works great and much more durable. You can run the slayer/revo setup as well.
scrambln81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #5

I still have yet to break my shafts after five months, but I would get the rings, jus for extra insurance. My first upgrades were all the aluminum c-hubs, rear axle carriers, front high steer knuckles, etc... Next I'm going for the steel tranny gears.

Anywho, the best upgrades are the little scale winches, lights...
Cenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

After running a lot of packs through my first Axial, I had broken one servo arm and one knuckle. The stock spools were pretty worn out as well.

So far nothing has broken on my 2nd one since finishing it in October. I think the slipper has helped keep the driveline from being damaged.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambln81 View Post
Oh and another good upgrade is switching out the stock slipper clutch and spur gear. I run Traxxas slash on mine, works great and much more durable. You can run the slayer/revo setup as well.
If your as hard on things as I am then I would recommend mip drive shafts, HD tranny gears and aluminum C's and highsteer knuckles! This should be good for starters. After you break an axial shaft I would up grade but they hold pretty well..... IMO stay away from the mip cvd's I broke mine within 4 hrs of installing them.
Is there any modification to get the the revo/slash slipper assembly on? i couldnt find any info googling
Do the stock plastic C's and knuckles break under load? over time? or just flex and hurt performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenzo View Post
Anywho, the best upgrades are the little scale winches, lights...
Alas my good radio is only a 2ch (dx2s), but the honcho says it comes with lots of lights, so i ordered a bulk pack of bright leds from ebay for $7, should look like a christmas tree crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
The stock spools were pretty worn out as well.
Did the worn out spool also damage the axle?

Thanks for the replies guys! Im looking forward to assembling the scx10 with a few upgrades right off the bat!

Last edited by Michael999; 05-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Michael999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #8

Good luck with all those lights! (I absolutely hate installing lights LOL) As for the knuckles and C-hubs, They are pretty darn sturdy IMO, but they came out with aluminum ones for a reason. My advice: don't upgrade until you break 'em

The spools are something I would upgrade though, they won't damage the axle if they do wear out (or at least i don't think so...) but they pretty much kill your day of fun on the trails when they do...
Cenzo is offline   Reply With Quote