Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Links Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #1

Default Links Kit

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to upgrade a AX10 to a scale SCX10 and need some help with link selection. I was just going to buy the TR LINKS upgrade but everyone seems to be out of them. Any tips on how to select the right ones?
bschimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default links

decide what wheelbase you want to run and start measuring! have all ur mounting mounts (4 link plates and trusses), what ur gonna run for rod ends so all you have to do is figure out link length. running 98s lower and 91s or alittle short for uppers seems to b common. i just bought a handful of 98s,91s and started measuring, cutting and tapping. good luck.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Check out this thread. I listed pretty much every part you would need. Hope it helps!
Honcho 4 link Recipies

Originally Posted by Mayhem95
Thanks for all the info guys, really helped me put together what I think will be a good set up. I have a Honcho RTR and so far the only upgrades I have done are:
took out bump stops from shocks
Drilled the rims
Hitec 645 servo w/aluminum arm
BUT I just placed an order for:

1 ea.
CKRC Aluminum knuckles Scorpion
1 ea.
CKRC Aluminum Axle C's Scorpion
1 ea.
CKRC Black Aluminum Servo Mounts
1 ea.
Ax30518 Axial Threaded Aluminum Pipe 6x98mm Grey (2)
1 ea.
Ax30550 Axial SCX10 TR Aluminum Links Upgrade Set (313mm)

My plan is to run the upgrade with 4 link front and rear. Rear will be 98mm uppers with 106mm lowers and the front will be 91mm uppers and 98mm lowers. I called Axial and they recommend much shorter uppers? I am trying to get a good pinion angle and stiffen up the linkage a little. Thoughts?

So I got the parts in yesterday (CKRC is great by the way!) and started bolting stuff on.
Now on to what does and DOES NOT work.
The rear was a snap, 98mm links top and 106mm links on the bottom with the stock Axial 4 link truss. Works great no issues and suspension is everything you want in a 4 link with an improved pinion angle.
Now on to the front, what a royal pain in the ARSE, 98mm bottom links work just fine as advertised BUT 91mm links on the top are WAY too long stock servo mounting will not work with this setup!!! It forces the front of the servo plate down which causes the servo body to contact the front cross member on the frame. So I tried the links that come with the kit and followed the directions taking a 60mm link with a 25mm link (85mm upper link) and IT IS STILL TOO LONG!!! But just the 60mm links are way to short. So for now I am running 3 link in the front until I can get some links that would be the proper length. Initial impression is that a link between 76-80mm would be good. Axial makes a solid 74.5mm link but I think it may be a tad short and I dont want to buy it to have it NOT work. But that is only a GUESS at this point, ran out of time last night so more to follow! I have a set of 91mm links on the way so I will have to cut down and tap them to get the geometry right. Hope this helps.
Mayhem95 is offline   Reply With Quote