Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Noisy Rear End (Diff)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Noisy Rear End (Diff)

That's what the wife says anyway.....

New rear diff, VERY noisy and notchy/not smooth. I have had it apart twice now - first time for grease, second time complete dis-assemble and inspection.

I cant find anything wrong so I am thinking there is a clearance issue with the ring and pinion. I put it on a drill motor for some break in time - i can see the contact points now. The pinion shows very small contact on the outside of the ring, the pinion shows contact on the large end. Are those normal contact points (first axial diff i have looked at)? Is the fiber washer/spacer between the spool a good place to start for this problem?
2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Make sure both bearings for the pinion are set in the housing all the way. The inner one is tricky to get seated, and if its not the pinion rides to deep on the crown gear.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I looked at that - both inner and outer bearings were flush with the housing with a gap in the middle - is that correct?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Maybe your housings are warped? Also the actuall diff housing could have flash left on it from the mold process causing the spur not to be straight.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Maybe your housings are warped? Also the actuall diff housing could have flash left on it from the mold process causing the spur not to be straight.
3rd time apart....

Without axles it has a very pronounced feel and noise with the meshing of the gears. With axles it gets worse - you might be on to something with the warped housing.

Noticed one other thing during the last re-assembly - the inner pinion bearing has the marbled feel you would get by seating the bearing by hitting the inner bearing race, that adds to the bad 'vibes' from this diff.

I shimmed the spool from the ring a bit by cutting a fat paper spacer identical to the supplied washer/spacer - it helped a bit, afraid to go more without inspecting another axle and understanding correct pattern to look for.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If the race is damaged, it could have the pinion angle jacked as well. Axle housings and bearings are cheap so I would try both. Of course if it's brand new, I would phone up axial and see what they say.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote