Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Slipper clutch/driveshaft question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Slipper clutch/driveshaft question.

Hi everybody, I have been breaking the plastic driveshafts on my stock scx10tr like crazy. I have even had the metal pin shear off from the steel output yokes. I was wondering if loosening the slipper clutch would help(I have never had an r/c car with a clutch before). I have never had the driveshafts break during low speed crawling, it always happens when I'm doing the good old full throttle backyard bashing. I am just coming off of a 20 year break from the hobby, so my knowledge is a little dated! Thanks for any help.
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

yes! losening it will help, and get better drive shafts
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Axial makes sleeves that cover the ends DRIVESHAFT RING W/SETSCREW

The best option is MIP shafts Bullet Proof

Don't Loosen the slipper as you will just slip. I have slippers on both of my scx-10 and I tighten them down all the way and lock tight the nut. I use them for the sole purpose that if I bind then they will slip. Saving the gears.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Are you using the MIP set that is marketed for the AX-10? If so, do you have any clearance issues with the spur gear?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i would like to see some pictures also, what is the angle on your driveshaft?
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The driveshaft angle isn't too radical, the truck is all stock. I think it might be my heavy handed driving technique. I tried a set of the Integy driveshafts for the AX-10, but the u-joints are so big that I had interference problems with the spur gear. I haven't been able to find any SCX10 specific driveshafts. I was wondering if the MIP shafts for the AX-10 would work. I have a feeling that the Traxxas driveshafts that are in it now could go at any time!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would looses the slipper a little bit if you want to keep running the plastic shafts.
If not I've used MIP's and also Junfacs in my Scaler (before they were donated to 2.2 rigs.)
They fit with a Bee's Wang of clearance to the spur gear so if you can find them go for it.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planespotter View Post
The driveshaft angle isn't too radical, the truck is all stock. I think it might be my heavy handed driving technique. I tried a set of the Integy driveshafts for the AX-10, but the u-joints are so big that I had interference problems with the spur gear. I haven't been able to find any SCX10 specific driveshafts. I was wondering if the MIP shafts for the AX-10 would work. I have a feeling that the Traxxas driveshafts that are in it now could go at any time!
I uesd my integy shafts from my ax10 when i switched to a scx10 chassis and with a 87t spur i have no problem at all, what size is your spur?
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote