Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My I dont know what to call it build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My I dont know what to call it build

I picked up one of these nifty machines a couple weeks ago after being out of the game for a couple years.

I got some HPI MT2 117mm aluminum shocks when I bought my truck. I didn't like how tall it sat and unstable on ascends/descends/sidehilling with the new shocks (I still don't), so i made some el-cheapo center limit straps from string

I also took one of my integy 55t lathe motors and threw it in and switched the battery plugs to traxxas.

my backyard "course"

the beach (only 1 pic sorry)

I really wanted pro-line titus beadlocks but didn't want to spend the money on them, but one day i went to my LHS with my girlfriend looking for new shit 1.9 wheels for my TA-02 and they just happend to have them there. my girlfriend promptly pointed out that they were not that much more expensive than the other wheels they had there and "they look super bad ass!" so.... i got them.

and put the axial beadlocks on my TA-02

then broke a halfshaft the same day

hacked_hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have been wanting to take off that stupid huge front bumper since i got the truck cause really all i do is get cought on it ALL the time. I went threw the parts bag that came with the truck and whipped up this thing. We'll se how it works.

Ok so thats where im at. Next on my shopoping list is to get a tamiya hilux body and try to make an interior and make it look like my real yota.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You should make your real yota look like your scx 10
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

no likey the yota
what if i make it like my ford
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I vote for the Ford. Its looks sick. Get the Tamiya F-350, some rc4wd mudpluggers, rc4wd super scale shocks, paint your wheels black and BOOM your off to a good start. I like your yota though, I have one as well but there are so many hilux's on here is blah.

Last edited by salmonfacesalad; 07-13-2010 at 05:49 AM.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

as much as i hate to say it build the ford, ge blackwell axles, the mud pluggers, f-350 body, and 1.9 hummer wheelsand your golden!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
I vote for the Ford. Its looks sick. Get the Tamiya F-350, some rc4wd mudpluggers, rc4wd super scale shocks, paint your wheels black and BOOM your off to a good start. I like your yota though, I have one as well but there are so many hilux's on here is blah.

there are a lot of toyotas on here its kind of crazy. there seems to be more heeps though just like full size. thats one thing i forgot to say was i want some of those RC4WD super scale shocks too. I already have a ford rc though, my clod. thanks for the comment and nice toy looks way cleaner than mine.

PS sell your warn hubs and get some asians, they are waaay stronger and longfield sells chromo hub gears for them. oh and hi-steer is nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
as much as i hate to say it build the ford, ge blackwell axles, the mud pluggers, f-350 body, and 1.9 hummer wheelsand your golden!
There is no way im spending almost $400 on rc axles. although it would be uber cool. maybe if i were a rich man. thanks though
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacked_hummer View Post
There is no way im spending almost $400 on rc axles. although it would be uber cool. maybe if i were a rich man. thanks though
i hear ya on that! they are nice and if i had the cash i have a dream rig id build with them today!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
PS sell your warn hubs and get some asians, they are waaay stronger and longfield sells chromo hub gears for them. oh and hi-steer is nice too.

I hear ya about the abundance of jeeps. I busted up one of my OEM asian hubs and just got these to get me by untill I find some used asian ones for sale. hi-steer on the way!

That Ford is gonna look sick if you build it .
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I would like to build my ford it kind of sucks the mudpluggers only come in a 4 I need some 4.6's.

didn't work today (threw out my back yesterday morning somehow) so screwed arount with the truck.

I took out the springs off the shocks and tested it on my back yard course. still not sure if I like it yet. its way more stable but i get hung up on the rock sliders quite a bit.

much lower. almost too low.

overall shot of the course

couple poser shots

couple of vids (click on pic)

rti

the left line

random line
short vid cause i ran out of memory
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

lowered my battery today.
the battery posts start out as 3/4" the front is now 3/16" and the rears are 1/2". the battery tray barely touches the esc and the front had like a 1/16" gap between the servo. now my battery dosn't rub on the body there is actually like 3/8" clearance.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

did the 4 link mod today
its surrising the difference it made. with the wishbone 3 link the axles moved side to side ~1/2" now it has less than 1/8" of play. I also opted to put the springs back on.

rear

front

I used the short extra links on the front and the mediam extra links that came with the kit. the pinion got kicked up a tad but not enough to worry about.

more vids yay.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

the pinion is accualy at a better angle now IMO
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
the pinion is accualy at a better angle now IMO
Ya the rear dosn't really matter so the angle is better, but the front you have to be careful, if the pinion was any higher I would of not done it cause there would be too much posative caster.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

couple more vids

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ya the rear dosn't really matter so the angle is better, but the front you have to be careful, if the pinion was any higher I would of not done it cause there would be too much posative caster.
defnitly gotta watch that, my honcho has bad pinion angle but great castor, but it also clears the cross member good
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
defnitly gotta watch that, my honcho has bad pinion angle but great castor, but it also clears the cross member good
Ya mine is almost the opposite, little better pinion, caster at the limit and I had to shave a tad off the cross member(<1/16"). but I think it was worth it. my caster is probly only +3 or 4.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

did some tinkering today

moved my antenna to the rear. used a servo mount and a little spacer, then drilled the servo mount with an 1/8" bit almost all the way threw.

I also took one of my old clod bodies and put it on with a rear tire carrier. I think it looks pretty cool. and for future refrance the 4 link mod doesnt work with stock shocks. I hit the servo on the frame and the battery cause i lowered it.

I was also kind of thinking about running half doors or no doors on tne honcho body. thoughts?

doors

half doors

no doors
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

i think half doors would look great if you do it right but the way you have it shown, your cutting too much out IMO. need to stay with the widows cut out not the whole door.

this is how i would cut mine red line shows (maybe go down a tad bit more)-

Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i think half doors would look great if you do it right but the way you have it shown, your cutting too much out IMO. need to stay with the widows cut out not the whole door.

this is how i would cut mine red line shows (maybe go down a tad bit more)-
I should of thought of that looks like it would look good. Thanks.

I painted the roll bar black on the dodge and added a stack. also shortened the wheel base to fit the body better and made the rear tail lights rock lights (they work great).

sorry for the blurry pics my back is killing me.