Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New here and got a couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Default New here and got a couple questions

Whats going on guys/gals. I just got my sxc10 on tuesday and im trying to get some answers. Im currently deployed over seas and well i thought what better way to spend my off time then doing some mini crawling. Im stationed out in the mountains so plenty of shit to crawl here. Well a ive been having a promblem with having the driveshafts stayin on the tranfer case. After using it for sometimes 2 mins the front shaft comes off. Ive tighted it as much as it can go. Tried locktite and that still didnt keep the set screws in place. Also any upgrades that u guys thinks that should b done to it would b great. Thank in advance.

-Mike
OEFCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Go to your local Hobby shop or order on line, Traxxas drive lines & yokes, sorry I don't know the part number, but the hobby shop should now how to match them up, they come as a kit, front and rear, they are made with better yokes and a better type of plastic. and they are only around 12 bucks. You can also use high quility one made by MIP, they are metal but heavy and harder on the drivetrain. they do work well but cost around 35 bucks. good luck and thanks for your service over there for keeping us safe.
luv2ridemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

When you loktite the shafts do you let them sit for 24 hours. It really is best to let them cure for that period for a good hold.

Upgrade when you have issues, otherwise stock runs pretty well. Different people will need different upgrades depending on driving style and terrain.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #4

I let it set over night and didnt use it til after the work day was over. Im wondering y they didnt make the shaft mirror the shaft coming out of the transfer case. instead of having the set screw fill the gap
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Doesn't sound like you can run to the local hobby shop where your at Bubba.

Did a quick search - try this link:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246504

You might try searching some more on here - or look further back in the SCX-10 section here - past page 20.....good luck.
mfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Hmm,maybe try some loktite on the tip of the set screw too or try to dimple the flat part of the output were the set screw goes. Sounds like possibly the set screw is not pushing hard enough against the output.

BTW, thanks for your service and welcome to RCC! I am glad to see you get to have some fun on your down time.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just talked to Axial about this less than an hour ago. they said to try double grub screws(1 on each side of the collar) I would say drill a hole thru the output shaft of the trans and bolt it or get some traxxas threadded shaft pins and drill the output and install the traxxas part. I'm going to do the pins because i have some already. I know it would take some time but I would get the parts for you and send them to you if that would help, I'll be going to the LHS tomorrow or friday i could probly have them in the mail on Saturday PM me
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

ADAPT and `OVERCOME sucka.......

How is it in that CHIT HOLE, still hot dirty stinky!
God I hate that place more than IRAQ..
Where you at?

WELD IT
Try some jbweld or goo and glue that shizz together!
Take it to motorpool and let mechanics have a look, they can fix.
If you need some help over here I got your back homie
Im an injured Marine bud I'll ship something if you need.

stay safe
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

Having fun on the down time is the only thing that keeps me in check. Im a mechanic here so im sure i got something in the shops that i could use to use as a pin to keep things tight. Whiplash if i cant come up with anything ill let u know. Appreciate it. Thing is a ton of fun for 3 mins at a time. I keep a allen key out of my tool box in my pocket so i can keep puttin it back on lol
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #10

Im out in RC east afghan. Better than RC south but it still sucks. Tomorrow i think its either the jbweld to fill the gap or just drilling it. Me a battle of mine have em so its a all out war to get to the top of some of the dirt piles lol
Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have some spare MIP that I used on my other comp rig if you want them PM me where to send them and there your.
One side is cut shorter because of the dig, but should still work fine. If all else fails just use the long one on the side that falls out. Keep up the good fight.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #12

Ya first day were they stayed on all day! Drilled into the shafts a little and the set screws sit in them and stay there finally. But my rear shocks r def blown already lol. O well def feels like im back home with WS6 and the SS always breaking on me BTW is there anyway to keep the front end on the ground on these things? Mine lifts all the time and seems like the front tires just skim across everything.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Sounds like your shocks aren't built correctly and are too stiff. Check this out for building them, it makes all the difference in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
The shocks are fine. Anyone who has ever built associated shocks will know how to build these correctly as they are the same design.

Here's how to fill the shocks correctly:

Take the shock, fill it 3/4 full of oil. Slowly move the shaft in and out of the body making sure the piston does not leave the oil. Do this until you do not see any more bubbles coming up.

Now fill it to the very top with oil. Now screw the cap on, but leave it loose. Tip the shock on its side and slowly move the shaft into the shock body allowing the excess shock oil to drip out of the loose cap. When the shaft is all the way in, tighten the cap up.

Now stand the shocks straight up, wait 10 seconds for the oil to settle back and they should be like butter.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #14

there specail oil for the shocks or can i use shit i got laying around my shops?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEFCrawler View Post
there specail oil for the shocks or can i use shit i got laying around my shops?
yea, really need silicone shock oil
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

And dont drill your outputs,they'll brake,try double set screws(1 on each side).
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
RCC Addict

He didn't drill them, he dimpled them. This works better than double set screws in my experience. You need more bite on the shaft which dimpling allows. The problem with double set screw is one side gets on the flat part of the output but the other side is on the round which doesn't offer much hold.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I kept stripping out the 3mm set screws. So what I did was get some 6/32 setscrews and tapped my yokes the same size. The 6/32 setscrews have yet to strip out and hold great.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote